GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Starting question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-11, 09:23 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting question

I got my GX last december. Probably set out in the cold, for a few months before I bought it. However, went on a 200 mile short trip. Came back and into the garage, which is about 55 degrees or more in winter. Next day, played the radio for about an hour, with the windows down, doors open, to vacuum and detail. Love at first sight, until I turned the key, click, click, click. Put my booster charger on it and it spun like a clock and started. Immediately turned if off and it started right up because I was supprised after a long trip the night before, and only playing the radio for an hour, it should have started.

Happened to me once this summer.

Yesterday, I was by the side of the road, for about an hour, with the car off and playing the radio. Click, click, click. A friend drove up for the appointment, and I used light wire jumper cables. Started right up on first, fast crank. Did the same thing. Turned it off, started right up.

Know that do have a battery tester that puts a load on the battery, and it tests in the good/ green range. Original factory Lexus battery. Any time it would not start, (3) times in a year, I turned on my head lights, they were bright, not dim. Sounded the horn, not weak.

??? is there an electrical component that may be defective or intermittent, that is falsly reading my battery voltage and not letting the starter engauge. I am reading about 13.5 volts on the battery, when charged. Any comments?
Old 12-22-11, 01:01 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's your battery, hands down.

voltage and amperage are two different things. You may see the voltage you need, but if you dont have the amperage then it wont turn the starter.

bite the bullet and get a new battery, especially if its the original. They go bad, it's just the way it is.
Old 12-22-11, 02:56 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

06isdriver, don't dissagree with you, but I have used a load tester on the battery, for a full 10 seconds until I can smell the element in the tester getting hot and the rubber on the battery test leads are very hot. Holds in the green. Unhook tester, open door, car starts???

I am in my car everyday, making at least a dozen stop starts, with heated seats on, heater, wiper, etc. Starts every time. It was 4 degrees below zero and my car set out for more than 1/2 day last winter. Started right up. If I didn't use a resistive battery load tester on my battery, I would completely agree with you. Didn't necessarily want to replace the battery, and find out it was some relay/ component. Thanks for your response.
Old 12-24-11, 04:38 AM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just curious, what ended up happening? Did you replace your battery? Maybe I missed it but what year is your GX? Our 05 started doing similar things. Replaced the battery after 6 years and no issues since.
Old 12-24-11, 07:58 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Mine is a 2008, factory battery. Haven't changed anything yet. As stated, it is not the money, just don't want to change something and find out later it was a monitory component. I have read most all of the posts, when so many things are battery related. Things that you wouldn't even believe could be the battery. I am out in the cold every day, short trips, starting my car many times. Lots of accessories on, sometimes trying to duplicate the same conditions. Weird, once in 6 months. Twilight Zone!