GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GS Owner Looking to Add a GX

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-21, 03:36 PM
medwardsr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS Owner Looking to Add a GX

Hello everyone!

I’ve proudly owned my 4th gen GS350 for about 3 years now but have decided i need a bigger vehicle so that my wife and i can enjoy the great outdoors more. I’ve become fixated on these 1st gen GX’s lately and am about ready to pull the trigger on one of a few, but first I was hoping to get some good advice on the points most important to me before buying. This will be my first “big vehicle” so i’m kind of out of my element here with expected maintenance and cost of aftermarket parts.

1) Apple Carplay - I realize there are a ton of threads on the different options available, but I want to hear what YOU guys use or prefer. I could buy a GX with or without nav, but there are more out there with nav. I mostly just want to upgrade so that I get updated maps. I know the differences between the full tesla style android unit and the canbus one that allows you to keep the factory climate controls. What do i need to know or plan for if this will be the first thing i do to the vehicle?

2) Remote Starter - I had the drone mobile remote starter added to my GS and would like to have the same function on the GX. Do any of you guys have a starter installed and what’s your experience so far?

3) Tire/Lift Specs - Ultimately i want to put TRD Pro wheels and all terrain tires on this thing. What kind of tire and lift specs am i looking at? I don’t plan on doing rock crawling but i do plan to take it offroad plenty for camping and hiking trips. Would like a more aggressive look for the aesthetics. My garage has 84” clearance, will I be able to add tires and lift and still get this thing inside or will it become an outside vehicle?

4) Replaced alternator - In one particular one i’m looking at with 88k miles, the alternator was replaced around 59k. Should this be alarming? I have read all about what to expect to replace between 80-120k miles but don’t remember seeing issues with alternators.

5) Underbody rust - I know this is an issue with 4runners, is it the same for these bad boys? How much rust is too much? Would appreciate more realistic answers than “any rust” 😅

6) Other issues - i know about the timing belt replacement and those related common issues, but what’s a fix that has come up in your first ~180k miles that you wish you knew about before purchasing? Cost and the related would be helpful.

7) Life expectancy - Let’s say i buy one with less than 120k miles on it. What’s the life expectancy (in mileage) if i put on an average of 15k miles a year? I always get tires rotated and oil changed every 5k miles on my vehicles. I am aiming to daily this GX for the next 3-5 years at least with minimal large repairs. I’ll have to look for something else if i’m expected to replace a transmission before 200k.

I feel like this is a big risk for me, essentially buying a daily that’s 10 years older than my current vehicle. Any and all knowledge yall can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!
Old 09-21-21, 08:14 PM
Jpilot
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Welcome to the world of GX. I can’t answer all your inquiries, but heres a few viewpoint points for you.
1. Don’t worry about a small issue of carplay with a multi hundred or thousand dollar solution that will be obsolete in 2 years. I run a plug in bluetooth adapter and it works great with the factory stereo. As for nav, use a dedicated GPS or a nice GPS program on your phone or tablet. Again, you don’t want to be obsolete in 2 years.
2. I have not used one, so no beta here.
3. Most guys run a 2-3 inch lift with 285/70r17 tires. BFG KO2s or Wildpeaks are very popular (I run the KO2s and love em). There are a ton of lift options out there, budget and use are main factors. I run Toytec and am very happy with my setup (mid range, price wise).
4. Alternators can go bad if your splash guards are gone on the right side. Check that first. Otherwise, you should be able to get 100k out of a decent alternator. I would only worry if the truck has gone through multiple alts.
5. Rust can be an issue, but it can be mitigated and controlled too. Check with a reputable body shop about how yours looks. Look into some frame rust inhibiter and underbody protection. Most don’t have major issues unless its in the rust belt states.
6. These are extremely reliable vehicles if you keep the oil clean and temps down. Some preventative maintenance like watching oil change intervals, keep an eye on your CV boots etc. pay dividends in the long run. When small issues pop up, small fixes will keep you rolling. Don’t ignore small issues and you will have a long and happy relationship with your GX.
7. Expect the drive train to last about 500,000 - 1,000,000 miles. No kidding, these are VERY reliable engines and transmissions. See point 6. 120k is just a baby with this truck. I have a 4runner with mostly same components as this truck and it has over 440k on it. I would have no issue going cross country in that truck, and I feel even more confident in my Lexus.

Best of luck with yours. I am sure you will have a blast and love yours for years to come. You already know how good Lexus is, so don’t hesitate to jump into the GX.

Old 09-22-21, 06:15 AM
medwardsr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jpilot
Welcome to the world of GX. I can’t answer all your inquiries, but heres a few viewpoint points for you.
1. Don’t worry about a small issue of carplay with a multi hundred or thousand dollar solution that will be obsolete in 2 years. I run a plug in bluetooth adapter and it works great with the factory stereo. As for nav, use a dedicated GPS or a nice GPS program on your phone or tablet. Again, you don’t want to be obsolete in 2 years.
2. I have not used one, so no beta here.
3. Most guys run a 2-3 inch lift with 285/70r17 tires. BFG KO2s or Wildpeaks are very popular (I run the KO2s and love em). There are a ton of lift options out there, budget and use are main factors. I run Toytec and am very happy with my setup (mid range, price wise).
4. Alternators can go bad if your splash guards are gone on the right side. Check that first. Otherwise, you should be able to get 100k out of a decent alternator. I would only worry if the truck has gone through multiple alts.
5. Rust can be an issue, but it can be mitigated and controlled too. Check with a reputable body shop about how yours looks. Look into some frame rust inhibiter and underbody protection. Most don’t have major issues unless its in the rust belt states.
6. These are extremely reliable vehicles if you keep the oil clean and temps down. Some preventative maintenance like watching oil change intervals, keep an eye on your CV boots etc. pay dividends in the long run. When small issues pop up, small fixes will keep you rolling. Don’t ignore small issues and you will have a long and happy relationship with your GX.
7. Expect the drive train to last about 500,000 - 1,000,000 miles. No kidding, these are VERY reliable engines and transmissions. See point 6. 120k is just a baby with this truck. I have a 4runner with mostly same components as this truck and it has over 440k on it. I would have no issue going cross country in that truck, and I feel even more confident in my Lexus.

Best of luck with yours. I am sure you will have a blast and love yours for years to come. You already know how good Lexus is, so don’t hesitate to jump into the GX.
Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. Your point about outdated electronics is so true, it does seem like every 2 years for the past decade have introduced a new head unit replacement that’s “better” than the last.

Preventative maintenance is definitely key. I just had to replace the cv boots on the GS because they’re impossible for me to check with it being lowered. Wasn’t fun! Thankfully I have a reputable mechanic here that didn’t take me to the cleaners over it.

And thank you for re-iterating the reliability of Lexus engineering. It was never really in question, but having owned Volvos, BMWs, and domestics before, it might always be a point of great concern for me 😅
Old 09-22-21, 08:47 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

1. I've converted mine over to non-nav and added a double DIN Pioneer head unit with Carplay, and Carplay is excellent to have. I strongly recommend finding a non-nav truck as a starting point if this is important to you, as the process of converting to non-nav is no fun.
2. I have a 2-way command start installed, which has worked fine for me for years now. Get prepared for awful fuel economy if you let it idle for long before driving...
3. I'm running a 2F/1R lift from dobinsons and I love it, currently on 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks and I'm a big fan, but I haven't yet had an opportunity to try them in the snow. I previously ran GY Duratracs and they were excellent in all conditions, but feel a bit soft in the hot summer weather.
4. Alternator failure sounds like a fluke, not something I'd be concerned about on its own.
5. Rust can be a real PITA when doing maintenance and repairs, everything takes longer when things are rusty. I've had to do a frame repair due to rust perforation just in front of the passenger side tire, I also spent about 18 hours under there needle scaling the entire frame, treating it with a rust convertor product, and then sealing with frame paint, not something I ever want to do again. A bit of surface corrosion is nothing to be concerned about.
6. Common failure points include seized front brake calipers, radiator can develop a leak eventually, rear airbag system can have issues at this age, otherwise pretty regular 15 year old vehicle stuff
7. Keep things maintained, and they will last a very long time. I've always said it would be rust that eventually kills mine...everything else can be serviced.
Old 09-22-21, 09:01 AM
medwardsr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
1. I've converted mine over to non-nav and added a double DIN Pioneer head unit with Carplay, and Carplay is excellent to have. I strongly recommend finding a non-nav truck as a starting point if this is important to you, as the process of converting to non-nav is no fun.
2. I have a 2-way command start installed, which has worked fine for me for years now. Get prepared for awful fuel economy if you let it idle for long before driving...
3. I'm running a 2F/1R lift from dobinsons and I love it, currently on 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks and I'm a big fan, but I haven't yet had an opportunity to try them in the snow. I previously ran GY Duratracs and they were excellent in all conditions, but feel a bit soft in the hot summer weather.
4. Alternator failure sounds like a fluke, not something I'd be concerned about on its own.
5. Rust can be a real PITA when doing maintenance and repairs, everything takes longer when things are rusty. I've had to do a frame repair due to rust perforation just in front of the passenger side tire, I also spent about 18 hours under there needle scaling the entire frame, treating it with a rust convertor product, and then sealing with frame paint, not something I ever want to do again. A bit of surface corrosion is nothing to be concerned about.
6. Common failure points include seized front brake calipers, radiator can develop a leak eventually, rear airbag system can have issues at this age, otherwise pretty regular 15 year old vehicle stuff
7. Keep things maintained, and they will last a very long time. I've always said it would be rust that eventually kills mine...everything else can be serviced.
Awesome, thank you for your response! I definitely want carplay, maybe i have become too fixated on the unit itself. Non-nav to carplay enabled unit by far sounds easiest, but those are hard to come by!

I’ll really need to read up on tires since i’ve never bought for an suv/truck before. What is the deciding factor here for you? Just traction or is it more than that? You mentioned one brand riding soft in summer, interested to hear more about that and how others compare.

When you and @Jpilot talk about regular maintenance, what does that typically entail? I give the GS new synthetic oil, tire rotations, and alignment every 5k. Beyond that i haven’t ever felt the need to do much more for it and i swear it drives better now than it did 45k miles ago. I don’t get it serviced at Lexus due to price gouging but have found a reputable mechanic that specifically works on japanese cars. He fixed my torn cv boot and axle for about 1/3 of what Lexus quoted me less the labor so i’d probably be more keen to do more routine checkups if i needed to through him now.
Old 09-22-21, 11:50 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I have owned both a 2008 GX470 and a 2013 GS350 F-sport (4th gen) at the same time. I ended up selling the GS350 after five years and still have the GX which I have now owned for 10 years. I really enjoyed the GS and liked the interior, comfort, features, etc. but every time I jumped in the GX, I just liked it a little bit better. The GX is older, not as smooth or feature rich as the GS but I still like it even though I love features and tech.

Over ten years the GX has been very reliable. I purchased it with 30K miles and now have 190K miles on it. I have done an alternator replacement, radiator replacement, air springs and shocks replacement, SAIS bypass, front axels replacement and two timing belt/water pump changes while owning it. Other than fluid changes, trans/diff fluid changes, brake jobs, tire changes, etc., that is pretty much everything I have had to do over 160K miles of owning it with 190K on the dial right now. I would say that is pretty good compared to a lot of cars. The car runs good and strong and both times I have taken it in for the timing belt/water pump replacement, I was told by the shop it is an excellent vehicle and will last me a very long time.

I also like that it is very easy to work on if you like to wrench. The only things I have had a mechanic do on the car is the timing belt/water pump changes because I don't want to blow an entire weekend in the garage. All the other items I did in my garage and used general tools for the most part. I only have had to buy two new tools for the car. One is an extra short socket for the fill plug when changing the transmission fluid (yes I know this is a 'lifetime' fluid but I don't believe in that) and the other was an airline quick disconnect tool (an absolute must if you replace your air springs).

In the past few months I have been approached by two people asking me if I am interested in selling my GX to them. I do plan to replace the GX eventually when I am able to take delivery of the Cyber Truck I ordered.

I know I am not directly answering your questions but I hope this gives you some insight of my experience from a person who has owned/own both the 4th gen GS and the 1st gen GX.
The following users liked this post:
medwardsr (09-29-21)
Old 09-22-21, 12:33 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by medwardsr
Awesome, thank you for your response! I definitely want carplay, maybe i have become too fixated on the unit itself. Non-nav to carplay enabled unit by far sounds easiest, but those are hard to come by!

I’ll really need to read up on tires since i’ve never bought for an suv/truck before. What is the deciding factor here for you? Just traction or is it more than that? You mentioned one brand riding soft in summer, interested to hear more about that and how others compare.

When you and @Jpilot talk about regular maintenance, what does that typically entail? I give the GS new synthetic oil, tire rotations, and alignment every 5k. Beyond that i haven’t ever felt the need to do much more for it and i swear it drives better now than it did 45k miles ago. I don’t get it serviced at Lexus due to price gouging but have found a reputable mechanic that specifically works on japanese cars. He fixed my torn cv boot and axle for about 1/3 of what Lexus quoted me less the labor so i’d probably be more keen to do more routine checkups if i needed to through him now.
The rubber compound and siping on the Duratracs can make them feel "squirmy" on hot asphalt, if that makes sense. I've had 6 sets of Duratracs on several Toyota SUV's, and they are excellent for year round use if you live where it snows like I do, I only consider AT tires with severe winter ratings for my use, and this last time decided to try out the Falken's instead. They have been very good so far, but I haven't tested them in winter yet, so the jury is still out on them.

As far as maintenance, oil changes, trans fluid drain & fills, brakes, CV axles, water pump & timing belt, radiator, spark plugs, filters and fluids, diff and transfer case fluids, etc are the kinds of things I'm referring to here. Look after them, and they look after you.

These are great trucks, and used to be a hidden gem in the Toyota 4x4 world, but the secret is out and prices have soared as a result. Good luck finding what you're after!
Old 09-22-21, 02:36 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I have the TRD Pro wheels with Wildpeaks and do not run a lift. No rubbing, and I have about 3-4" clearance at the top of the garage door. So I could put a 2" lift on... but I don't have the need to.
Note that there are two types of TRD wheels - there are the 16" ones from the Tacoma that look a little different, and I'm not sure they'd clear the brake calipers. And the ones from the 4Runnner. Those are the ones you want.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10955024

So far as longevity - the key is to do regular fluid changes. Not just oil - do the front + rear differentials, transfer case, coolant, etc. Follow the schedule in your owner's manual. Use Toyota fluids for transmission and coolant. Good quality national brand that meets the specifications is fine for all the others.

Chip H.
Old 09-22-21, 05:52 PM
nycbenz
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

1) Apple Carplay - I realize there are a ton of threads on the different options available, but I want to hear what YOU guys use or prefer. I could buy a GX with or without nav, but there are more out there with nav. I mostly just want to upgrade so that I get updated maps. I know the differences between the full tesla style android unit and the canbus one that allows you to keep the factory climate controls. What do i need to know or plan for if this will be the first thing i do to the vehicle?

5) Underbody rust - I know this is an issue with 4runners, is it the same for these bad boys? How much rust is too much? Would appreciate more realistic answers than “any rust” 😅

6) Other issues - i know about the timing belt replacement and those related common issues, but what’s a fix that has come up in your first ~180k miles that you wish you knew about before purchasing? Cost and the related would be helpful.
Welcome and good luck on your search! I bought mine in 2018 - a 2006 w/ 104,000 at the time (she now has just over 160k!). Here’s my answers for a few of your questions:

1: I didn’t want to go the whole modern touchscreen swap, as I don’t like the look of it. I just bought the attached from Amazon, and use my Apple Maps on my phone. Bluetooth works great.

Amazon Amazon

5: I bought mine in NJ, and she definitely saw her fair share of winter weather and salty NE roads. Quite rusty underneath, but the dealer I took her to (and 3 subsequent dealers down south and out west) said it wasn’t anything to stress over. Don’t have any pics but I completely trust multiple mechanic’s opinions.

6: Excellent question. I’ve put a lot of work into mine from the moment I bought her (even though it was a one owner and well serviced rig). Immediately replaced timing belt and breaks and cooling system. Since then, common thing is the exhaust manifold which cracks. I did both sides at the same time ($5k), Then my rear differential went out about 10,000 miles ago (when I’m in the mountains or the Hollywood Hills, I always am in a lower gear instead of on the breaks - that might have had something to do with it) cost for that was $4k. Then just recently something with the throttle body or injection, I don’t remember exactly what it was but that was another $3k. So in the last year alone it was $12k lol. But I don’t do any work myself and typically get things done at the dealer.

My wife is at the point now where she doesn’t see the benefit of driving a 15 year old truck and dumping $$$ into her, and honestly I’m about there as well. I need new breaks and tires are due, but I hate when I get a loaner car and everything is electric, no steering feel, no character in new cars. I LOVE getting my truck back and feeling like I’m driving a relic sometimes lol.

The above is definitely MY experience only, and I’m not shy at throwing money at my cars (clearly lol). Just realize you’re buying an older truck, so my best advice is to find the one with the best service history, with the lowest mileage, that is in your budget.

Good luck!
Old 09-29-21, 10:44 AM
medwardsr
Driver School Candidate

@Davenlei @IanB2 @chiph9 @nycbenz thanks so much for all of your thoughtful responses. You have mostly confirmed what i thought i already knew about the truck but also provided additional, helpful insight. The decision i have basically come down to now is whether i want to get a 1st gen and use the profit on the GS for upgrades or trade straight into a same-cost GX and add upgrades over time. Sounds like the most important thing I have to consider is mileage and service history. Would appreciate any additional insight you guys have on the differences between 1st and 2nd gen, if possible.
Old 09-29-21, 11:59 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

@Davenlei @IanB2 @chiph9 @nycbenz thanks so much for all of your thoughtful responses. You have mostly confirmed what i thought i already knew about the truck but also provided additional, helpful insight. The decision i have basically come down to now is whether i want to get a 1st gen and use the profit on the GS for upgrades or trade straight into a same-cost GX and add upgrades over time. Sounds like the most important thing I have to consider is mileage and service history. Would appreciate any additional insight you guys have on the differences between 1st and 2nd gen, if possible.
1st and 2nd gen are very different vehicles, despite sharing the same "recipe". I currently own an '04 GX470 and a '15 GX460.

1st gen, better low rpm torque, simple, rugged, excellent.
2nd gen, better high rpm power, more features and accesories, more to go wrong as a result (still very reliable), hurts my feelings to put trail scratches on something so new with so much value, also excellent.

These trucks drive very differently, it may be that you just have a strong preference for one over the other...I'd grab the keys to the '04 most of the time, but the '04 is modded and improved over stock, so hard to say why I feel that way.

Drive both and form your own opinions, they are both excellent vehicles, there are no wrong answers.
Old 09-30-21, 01:25 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree with IanB2 on a lot of his points. I do not own a Gen2 but I do like their look. I believe that the third row seats in the 460 cannot be removed. They can only be folded and lifted out of the way but take up space on the sides of the cargo area reducing useable space. The 470 third row can be fully removed drastically increasing useable cargo space and giving a reduction of weight if you are not using them.

Honestly I can see as GX470 become more rare to find in stock condition, the focus will shift to the GX460. Similar to how as 4Runners became harder to find, GX470's came into the limelight.
Old 09-30-21, 02:44 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Yes, if you want a GX right now, and you plan to daily-driver it for a long time, look for a 460.

470's in good condition are getting hard to find, as they succumb to rust and being on their 2nd or 3rd owners.

Chip H.
Old 10-01-21, 04:03 PM
medwardsr
Driver School Candidate

@IanB2 @Davenlei @chiph9 excellent points, and some i haven’t even considered yet! Yall are awesome, thank you so much for your help. Now i’m itching to get in one!
Old 10-01-21, 07:26 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 312 Likes on 213 Posts

Absolutely avoid ALL android devices. They are a headache and a half. If you need carplay find a solution that is just carplay and nothing else.

Also, mileage is NOT important. Service history and current mechanical condition is. Mileage should be a distant third on your list. My 181k mile GX470 and 151k mile GX460 drive like brand new trucks because of their good service history and mechanical condition. The 470 still feels like an almost brand new truck mechanically.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (10-02-21)

Quick Reply: GS Owner Looking to Add a GX