GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New to me 2008 GX470

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-11, 08:56 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to me 2008 GX470

Hello to all. I am new to the forum, but have been a ghost member for about a year, since I bought my 2008 GX 470. I want to thank everyone for their posts, read most of them, which enabled me to get some repairs right away.

Examples:

Got driveshaft replaced, for clunk fix
Two new rims for the corrosion problems
Few minor items

Wondered how I got a CPO, with those deficiencies. I think some dealers play fast and loose with the CPO documentation. I actually downloaded that form and went through it myself after the purchase.

Besides the above mentioned items, I found two dents in my roof. I guess the checked off body and paint, but never looked on top.

The driveshaft problem. Not sure they ever test drove it.

Whell corrosion, which is visible unless you are legally blind.

Bulge in the sidewall of one of my tires, tread separation. Definate safety issue

Half of my fasters missing from the covers under the hood.

No owners manual

Some dashboard lights not working

Wine stained carpeting under my rear cargo mat.

I think I got there attention when I went over that CPO form with the service manager. Never actually admitted that they could have done a better job. They fixed most everything under warranty. I did not want the dents fixed in the roof. My finish is pretty much flawless and I am very picky. Thought I would avoid another conflict.

Hopefully, I am adding three pictures correctly, want them to show in this post, not a link.
Attached Thumbnails New to me 2008 GX470-100_3845.jpg   New to me 2008 GX470-100_3846.jpg   New to me 2008 GX470-100_3847.jpg  
Old 12-05-11, 09:00 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations! Enjoy your new GX!
Old 12-05-11, 09:07 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Thanks Redrocks, you must sit on the web, you are so fast to reply. Love your smily with the burn marks. Have had many Detriot iron muscle cars.
Old 12-05-11, 09:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Welcome to the Club.
Old 12-05-11, 09:47 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

CPO is as much a sales tool as it is a check-up process. They will CPO cars that need a bit of a boost in increasing its level of attractiveness to the prospective buyer, for example. If a truck is immaculate, they may not necessarily want to CPO.

I love the darker wood trim in the 08+. Nice.
Old 12-05-11, 05:58 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

WELCOME + CONGRATS!

Looks like you can use a spoiler as your first MOD!

Originally Posted by ROK
I love the darker wood trim in the 08+. Nice.
+1..I have the same interior with exception of the darker wood trim. Love the darker wood trim!
Old 12-05-11, 07:10 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the GX, really like that interior.
Old 12-05-11, 08:00 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Thanks kphu, I actually bought a painted spoiler on ebay for my first mod. The problem was 2 of the bolts go where the factory bolts go at the top of the door, the other 2 go lower near the door weatherstripping. Didn't want any leaking or unsightly installation.

Seen some posts, where people only used 2 and 3M tape. Wasn't comfortable, so I sent it back. I believe the spoiler to get is the one with two factory bolts at the top and 2 snap lock connectors. You dril the door for the lower bolts, but only the outer skin and install one half of the snap lock connector. The other half is built into the spoiler. You snap the spoiler on the bottom snap lock connectors and then use the top 2 bolts. This maybe how the original spoiler was installed. I would install a spoiler, if I could find one with the bottom snap lock connectors. Thanks to all for positive comments. My used car, was very close to new condition.
Old 12-06-11, 03:26 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ancient
Thanks Redrocks, you must sit on the web, you are so fast to reply. Love your smily with the burn marks. Have had many Detriot iron muscle cars.
LOL. My wife says I spend too much time on my laptop. Club Lexus is my favorite site. Great people on this forum and so much to gain from their experiences!
Old 12-06-11, 08:20 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

I wanted to add to my original post, and for anyone selling their truck in the future. One of the most important items, that I did not list in my initial post, was what was still in memory, in my trucks computer. The previous owners name, address, phone number, was all stored when I bought the car. I could have easily called them, went to their home, and probably opened their garage door. You should have seen the service managers face again, when I told him all of the previous owners details, were still stored in the car. He actually went to my car and deleted all of that information. Anyone selling their truck in the future, so wipe out their personal information.
Old 12-06-11, 09:49 AM
JuLeX47
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats and welcome..
Old 12-07-11, 03:53 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Thanks JuleX47and lamar411.

I have a question for anyone reading this post, with the answer. My headlights turn on and off, if set to the "auto" mode. However, they do not automatically dim or change from low to high beam. I have a 2008 model. Does anyone have that option, other than the next generation?

I have ML sound, rear air, nav, third row seats, but my fingers have to change from high to low beams. That feature in cars has been around for about 50 years.
Old 12-07-11, 05:28 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks JuleX47and lamar411.

I have a question for anyone reading this post, with the answer. My headlights turn on and off, if set to the "auto" mode. However, they do not automatically dim or change from low to high beam. I have a 2008 model. Does anyone have that option, other than the next generation?

I have ML sound, rear air, nav, third row seats, but my fingers have to change from high to low beams. That feature in cars has been around for about 50 years.
You're right about the auto dim from high to low, but surprisingly it's not on the GX. Pretty amazing that this luxury vehicle doesn't have this feature found on a 1995 Ford Thunderbird had.
Old 12-07-11, 09:01 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I wanted to add to my original post, and for anyone selling their truck in the future. One of the most important items, that I did not list in my initial post, was what was still in memory, in my trucks computer. The previous owners name, address, phone number, was all stored when I bought the car. I could have easily called them, went to their home, and probably opened their garage door. You should have seen the service managers face again, when I told him all of the previous owners details, were still stored in the car. He actually went to my car and deleted all of that information. Anyone selling their truck in the future, so wipe out their personal information.
Congrats! I also have a silver 2008 CPO but with the ivory interior and spoiler.
Funny you mention the previous owners info. My car had the previous owners name, address, phone number, was still set to pair to their phone and had her whole phone book so I could have called her family and friends as well.
I hope the Lexus dealers knows leaving that information there is a pretty huge PI violation and can get them in some hot water.
Old 12-07-11, 12:35 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks kphu, I actually bought a painted spoiler on ebay for my first mod. The problem was 2 of the bolts go where the factory bolts go at the top of the door, the other 2 go lower near the door weatherstripping. Didn't want any leaking or unsightly installation.

Seen some posts, where people only used 2 and 3M tape. Wasn't comfortable, so I sent it back. I believe the spoiler to get is the one with two factory bolts at the top and 2 snap lock connectors. You dril the door for the lower bolts, but only the outer skin and install one half of the snap lock connector. The other half is built into the spoiler. You snap the spoiler on the bottom snap lock connectors and then use the top 2 bolts. This maybe how the original spoiler was installed. I would install a spoiler, if I could find one with the bottom snap lock connectors. Thanks to all for positive comments. My used car, was very close to new condition.
I purchased an aftermarket spoiler on ebay and drilled holes for the bolt, no issues at all.

I think the seller was thespoilerstore

Ken

Quick Reply: New to me 2008 GX470