GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Sunroof Rattle from body flex??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-11, 03:40 PM
p3tuh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Rattle from body flex??

I've owned my 2004 GX since last November and it has a had an issue with the sunroof in the last couple months. I already searched this forum and all the other threads were inconclusive.

The problem is my sunroof rattles when it is closed and I have already taken into my local dealership. The first attempt was to lube up the gasket, which worked temporarily. The most recent attempt was to remove the sunroof and realign it as they said it was higher toward the rear of the car.

It seemed to have worked, but now the rattle started up again slight and it will probably progress to get louder. If I push up the sunroof, there is a slight play toward the front of the car. The rattle when driving seems to be coming from the between the front and rear seats so I have no idea what is actually causing the noise. There is a slight rattle whenever i close the driver or passenger side door.

The service manager said that the GX's have this common problem and that there will also be a slight rattling from the chassis flex. Has anybody else encountered this issue?

At its worst, I could clearly hear the rattle driving in a straight line, while slightly steering left and right. I know the GX is a truck and not a unibody chassis design, but I would think Lexus could make quite sunroof for this luxury vehicle.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-24-11, 10:00 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Normally the Wind deflector links and Mi-alignment of the Moon Roof cable you would get the noise. I suspect you could a re-inspection of the both sides .Check the Guide block levers, plastic clips adjacent to it and do not damage the alumunium housing. Ideally it would be better if you could concentrate where the noise is more towards. This could be done if you are the co-driver and let someone drive and you take note of the noise . Sometimes the dealer dont get the job right, And you could do re-inspect the areas which they have done, Sometimes residue of old hardened grease do remain in the guide channel. Have a look let us know how it goes.
Old 11-26-11, 08:25 AM
N305AS
Rookie

Ready for this? It's probably not the sunroof - the rattle you're experiencing is the luggage rack cross-bars vibrating. I had the same thing happening with my 2007 GX, and tightening them up did the trick.
Old 11-28-11, 12:38 PM
p3tuh
Driver School Candidate

I believe I already tried checking theses... They are the two little ***** you turn by hand to tighten correct??
Old 11-28-11, 12:46 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by N305AS
Ready for this? It's probably not the sunroof - the rattle you're experiencing is the luggage rack cross-bars vibrating. I had the same thing happening with my 2007 GX, and tightening them up did the trick.
+1 - I had that problem before and thought it was a trim piece rattling. Tightened up those ***** and it was quiet again.
Old 11-28-11, 01:45 PM
GXM35
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by p3tuh
I believe I already tried checking theses... They are the two little ***** you turn by hand to tighten correct??
I actually had my sunroof replaced because they said the cables were stretched causing the looseness of the sunroof. Seemed tight, but has since loosened up again. Mine is toward the rear of the sunroof. Just going to live with it...although I wish I had marked the old sunroof to make sure it was replaced before taking it in just to ease my mind
Old 11-29-11, 12:13 AM
N305AS
Rookie

Originally Posted by p3tuh
Actually, that's only half the battle - the other half is tightening the crossbars themselves with an Allen/hex wrench - take a look at the underside of each crossbar and you'll see there are one or two bolts there. I bet if you try shaking the crossbar a bit - like the bar experiences under airflow above certain speeds - you'll notice it's just a LITTLE loose. No big deal at 25mph, but for me anything above 50mph and the airflow created just enough of a vibration to make me think the sunroof was loose.

Tighten those down and you'll be good to go.
Old 11-30-11, 08:01 PM
p3tuh
Driver School Candidate

Ok thanks for the help everyone, I will look into all these suggestions this weekend. Hopefully I can figure it out soon without having to have the stealership replace the entire thing. Will update once it is solved.