GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My Dashboard is Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-16, 07:10 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus4x
There is also a class action lawsuit underway. So I would google and get in touch with one of the firms. I did but literally received payment day after lawsuit papers arrived for me to sign.
I also put a complaint in with consumers affairs as well as NHTSA.gov. I felt the airbag system is compromised and a safety issues.

I've looked but can't find anything active. A lot have already closed their registrations etc.
Old 04-12-16, 08:01 AM
Rockbus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Received a reply from Lexus on my comments concerning the long lead time to replace a dashboard under this recall. I asked for information about their supply chain, number of dashes replace per month so far, number of dashes left to replace to date, how the number of dashes are sent to a dealer determined, number of dashes being replaced by color etc. Info so I know the company is on top of this issue and geared up their supply chain.

The response has no detail and add nothing to what I already know. Still makes me feel the company is waiting consumers out, hoping they will sell their GX before getting their dashboard replaced. I'm a realist and would have been very surprised if they did provide empirical data.

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction.

Since the announcement of the Customer Support Program, we have been diligently making preparations for the parts replacement phase of this Program. Due to the age, volume, and breadth of the covered vehicles subject to the Program and the size and complexity of dashboard manufacturing, we are launching the part replacement portion of this Program in several phases. Despite our increased production levels of these parts, it is difficult to predict demand and where parts need to be shipped to support the program. Due to these factors there still may be a period of time customers will need to wait before part replacement can be performed. We do apologize that this is not the answer you were expecting; however, we do want to be honest to our loyal customers. Please know, your dissatisfaction has been documented at Lexus National Headquarters. We apologize for any inconvenience this information may cause.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this email, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 6:00 pm, or Saturday, 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, Pacific Time.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Verdin
Lexus Customer Satisfaction
Old 04-20-16, 04:42 PM
orion7mm
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dashboard started cracking in past 48 hours

1st time Lexus owner. Purchased a nice 2005 GX 470 five weeks ago. A one-owner, Silver Pine Met, 83K miles, with NAV and ML sound system.

Discovered cracks yesterday morning. They run across the brow above the instrument panel and down both sides. Also, two small cracks starting in the upper left corner (near the HVAC vent and NAV screen) on the face of the center area of the dashboard.

Any advice or suggestions on how best to proceed, that you can share, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-20-16, 04:47 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by orion7mm
1st time Lexus owner. Purchased a nice 2005 GX 470 five weeks ago. A one-owner, Silver Pine Met, 83K miles, with NAV and ML sound system.

Discovered cracks yesterday morning. They run across the brow above the instrument panel and down both sides. Also, two small cracks starting in the upper left corner (near the HVAC vent and NAV screen) on the face of the center area of the dashboard.

Any advice or suggestions on how best to proceed, that you can share, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Take it down to Lexus asap so you can get on the waiting list to have it replaced for free.

If you're lucky Lexus will get around to replacing it in 5yrs.
Old 04-21-16, 11:25 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Take it down to Lexus asap so you can get on the waiting list to have it replaced for free.

This is true and NO he is NOT being sarcastic!
Old 04-22-16, 11:51 AM
orion7mm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Justin727
This is true and NO he is NOT being sarcastic!

Thanks to RCsGX and Justin727 for your replies. The closest Lexus dealer is 400 miles away. Do you know if Lexus will accept photos taken by a Toyota service department?

Any suggestions on how to slow the existing cracks, and/or how to reduce new cracks starting?
Old 04-24-16, 09:40 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX

Mine took a month.
Old 04-24-16, 03:53 PM
orion7mm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by co4wheel
Mine took a month.
Thanks! co4wheel ... That's a lot more hopeful.

Stevenson's Lexus in the Denver area is the closest Lexus dealer to us, but so far they have Not returned my call. If there is a better dealer to work with I would appreciate knowing another option.

Thanks, Orion7mm in WYO
Old 04-24-16, 05:21 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Kuni Lexus in Colorado Springs. But this is not a make a call kind of thing. You take your truck in, they look and photo it, that gets sent to Lexus US and then they send the dash whenever it is made.

Johnny M at Kuni Lexus. 719-385-0111.
Old 04-24-16, 06:31 PM
orion7mm
Driver School Candidate

Kuni Lexus in Colorado Springs. But this is not a make a call kind of thing. You take your truck in, they look and photo it, that gets sent to Lexus US and then they send the dash whenever it is made.

Thanks again co4wheel. I'm about 500 miles north of CO Spngs ... so I do appreciate the contact details. Appears that a "road trip" may be in my near future!

Congrats on your new dash. I understand that the new ones are a re-design and are made from new (better?) materials. Hopefully they will last. Safe travels in your Lexus!
Old 04-26-16, 07:26 PM
orion7mm
Driver School Candidate

Hi again co4wheel,

I've been in touch with JM at Kuni. Sent him photos earlier today. Will update you, and CL, when I know more. Cheers.
Old 04-27-16, 06:55 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Thanks to RCsGX and Justin727 for your replies. The closest Lexus dealer is 400 miles away. Do you know if Lexus will accept photos taken by a Toyota service department?

Any suggestions on how to slow the existing cracks, and/or how to reduce new cracks starting?
More than likely not as warranty is brand specific. Call the Lexus dealer first and see if they even need to take pictures. I feel your pain though.. I've been on a waiting list for over a year now in 2 different states.
Old 04-28-16, 03:22 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Hi again co4wheel,

I've been in touch with JM at Kuni. Sent him photos earlier today. Will update you, and CL, when I know more. Cheers.
Good to hear.
Old 04-29-16, 12:30 PM
MRG242
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm lucky. I just bought an '06 GX470 last month. I had a dealer inspect it before I bought it. They told me to let them know if I buy it and they will replace the dash. It had a few cracks on the passenger side almost like someone punched it. A few weeks later after I completed the buy, I called them and they said they would put me in the queue and to let them know if I don't hear from them by August. I just got a call this morning and they're replacing it next week ..... for free! Now, the other Lexus dealer in town was a different story. They said they were so backed up that they wouldn't even add me to the list. What's even more perplexing is the two dealerships are owned by the same company. Go figure.

Mike
Old 04-29-16, 04:56 PM
orion7mm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MRG242
I guess I'm lucky. I just bought an '06 GX470 last month. I had a dealer inspect it before I bought it. They told me to let them know if I buy it and they will replace the dash. It had a few cracks on the passenger side almost like someone punched it. A few weeks later after I completed the buy, I called them and they said they would put me in the queue and to let them know if I don't hear from them by August. I just got a call this morning and they're replacing it next week ..... for free! Now, the other Lexus dealer in town was a different story. They said they were so backed up that they wouldn't even add me to the list. What's even more perplexing is the two dealerships are owned by the same company. Go figure.

Mike

Mike, Thanks for sharing your experience. Was your dash black, or another color? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that mine will be months, not years.

Different subject ... (discussion on another Thread) Does your 06 GX have XM radio?

Thanks, orion7mm in WYO

Quick Reply: My Dashboard is Cracking