GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My Dashboard is Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-14, 07:17 AM
FlzRider
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
For those that have any marks etc. over the passenger side airbag maybe this is a point to bring up with Lexus and then site this thread too and hopefully they will replace the dash for free. It's one thing if it's just a cosmetic issue it's another issue all together if it's a safety issue dealing with an important part such as an airbag.

Obviously there's a defect with the material makeup of the dash itself or else there wouldn't be so many Toyota / Lexus owners with the same exact cracking issue. Toyota really needs to step up to the plate and issue a recall on this problem.

I assume that image was copied from the service manual, correct?

Do you know of anyone who has successfully gotten Lexus to cover the cost of dash replacement after showing them that image?

Originally Posted by Katelater
Filed my complaint! Cracks primarily on airbag for me too. Clearly a liability. Thanks for the link! Now, do I have enough gumption to tackle a mini "super glue, sand and paint" project to cope until the recall? No peeling or chunks missing. Just cracks. Cracks I want sealed. I painted a flawless spoiler in my youth, a textured dash can't be harder than a glossy black spoiler, right?
You shouldn't try to fix it if you plan on having Lexus see it and replace it. They can easily claim you were at fault for the damaged dash.
Old 02-07-14, 07:47 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FlzRider
I assume that image was copied from the service manual, correct?
Yes, it's in their shop manual, page 60-14

Last edited by RCsGX; 02-07-14 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-14-14, 01:50 PM
rzpgtb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just spoke to Lexus Headquarters & they declined my request for assistance to replace dash board. They sold me a pre-owned in 2011 knowing that this problem existed. Now I'm stuck w/ a car tthe hat the dashboard is melting. How can they do this to us?

I'm here in Miami Florida. Shame on you Lexus ...you take our $$ but do not want to assume responsibilties.
Old 03-14-14, 06:11 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rzpgtb
I just spoke to Lexus Headquarters & they declined my request for assistance to replace dash board. They sold me a pre-owned in 2011 knowing that this problem existed. Now I'm stuck w/ a car tthe hat the dashboard is melting. How can they do this to us?

I'm here in Miami Florida. Shame on you Lexus ...you take our $$ but do not want to assume responsibilties.
If you haven't already, file a complaint.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
Old 03-17-14, 04:38 AM
lexus4x
Driver School Candidate

Default Go to dealer

Originally Posted by RCsGX
If you haven't already, file a complaint.

I received better care from dealer. The head quarters had a terrible attitude . Please put in complaint with nhtsa.
Old 03-26-14, 12:09 PM
ShakMan
Rookie

I just emailed my dealer on dashboard cracking issue with pictures and a link to this thread for our 04 Gx right now. I spoke to the general manager and he asked me to email him the pics. I also mentioned the 'good will' since this is our 3rd lexus from the same place. Waiting to hear the results. Will post back when I get an update
Old 03-31-14, 04:35 AM
lexus4x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ShakMan
I just emailed my dealer on dashboard cracking issue with pictures and a link to this thread for our 04 Gx right now. I spoke to the general manager and he asked me to email him the pics. I also mentioned the 'good will' since this is our 3rd lexus from the same place. Waiting to hear the results. Will post back when I get an update
If you haven't already, file a complaint.The more complaints, the better possibility of a recall.
Old 04-11-14, 08:17 AM
SmittysGX
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ours is cracking too, time to file that complaint!!!
Old 04-14-14, 06:16 AM
lexus4x
Driver School Candidate

put in a complaint to NTSB. Let lexus know you are doing so.
Old 04-14-14, 07:50 PM
Lc80series
Driver School Candidate

Anyone have experience with dash mats for the GX? They're not pretty but do protect from the sun. I live in Tucson and park my GX uncovered M-F so, although no cracks yet, it's bound to happen. Just using a cheap reflective sun shade now.
Old 04-14-14, 11:21 PM
FLLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dash cracks have gotten worse over the years. It started as a little crack over by the passenger vent - but there are cracks EVERYWHERE! I was unsuccessful getting anywhere with Lexus corporate and my local dealership.

Definitely filing a complaint today - thanks for this link: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
Old 04-19-14, 07:32 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

In the pics, is this a dash crack or where the air bag activated?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-GX-Base-Sport-Utility-4-Door-2008-lexus-gx-470-4-7-l-v-8-4-wd-suv-premium-repairable-rebuilder-/301151829795?forcerrptr=true&hash=item461e0c3f23&item=301151829795&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Old 04-19-14, 07:53 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks like air bag activation also steering wheel looks like bag deployed as well. I would ask owner
Old 04-19-14, 11:51 AM
gaylinis
Driver School Candidate

Default cracked dashboard

My dashboard has what started as a hairline crack that has now extended over halfway across and looks awful. I took it to the dealer who says there is nothing they can do except replace the whole thing which is over $2,000.00 They also say they have never seen this before which is patently untrue after reading the comments from others. Is there a class action suit? If so, who do I contact to get on the bus.
Old 04-19-14, 02:48 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gaylinis
My dashboard has what started as a hairline crack that has now extended over halfway across and looks awful. I took it to the dealer who says there is nothing they can do except replace the whole thing which is over $2,000.00 They also say they have never seen this before which is patently untrue after reading the comments from others. Is there a class action suit? If so, who do I contact to get on the bus.
Is yours a gx 470 or an RX?

Quick Reply: My Dashboard is Cracking