GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My Dashboard is Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-16, 07:57 PM
MRG242
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orion7mm
Mike, Thanks for sharing your experience. Was your dash black, or another color? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that mine will be months, not years.

Different subject ... (discussion on another Thread) Does your 06 GX have XM radio?

Thanks, orion7mm in WYO
You're welcome.Interior is tan and dash is brown. I'm a little anxious to have it done. Worried they may screw something up doing the install. The tech said it takes about 4 hrs.

Nope no XM. Wish it did for convenience

Good luck on your replacement.

Mike
Old 05-04-16, 06:48 AM
MRG242
Driver School Candidate

I picked up the GX last evening. They did a very nice job at replacing the dash. They reprogrammed all of my settings which was nice and unexpected. So far, everything seems to work and no rattles. I wish I would have taken before and after pictures but I didn't. If I remember correctly, I think the texture of the new dash may be just a scootch smoother than the original. The color is pretty close especially considering the age.

So, I was on the list for maybe 4 weeks, they did a very nice job and best of all it was FREE! And, I had a 2016 RX to drive for a day which was fun.

Mike
Old 05-04-16, 08:32 PM
UWdave
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2007 GX470. It looks like the previous owner painted over the cracks with some sort of plastidip like material.

Lexus dealer denied my warranty because the car had been "modified". Very lame. I'm trying to get ahold of Lexus of America to contest the denial.
Old 05-05-16, 04:29 PM
orion7mm
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MRG242
I picked up the GX last evening. They did a very nice job at replacing the dash. They reprogrammed all of my settings which was nice and unexpected. So far, everything seems to work and no rattles. I wish I would have taken before and after pictures but I didn't. If I remember correctly, I think the texture of the new dash may be just a scootch smoother than the original. The color is pretty close especially considering the age.

So, I was on the list for maybe 4 weeks, they did a very nice job and best of all it was FREE! And, I had a 2016 RX to drive for a day which was fun.

Mike

Mike, Congrats on your new dash. I haven't heard anymore on ours, but am hoping for a timeline similar to yours! Did the dealer get yours done in one day, or longer?

Regarding XM ... I have just ordered the Vaistech SL3sat-L, and have sked the install for next week. Spoke to a tech rep at Vaistech (Eugene) who has good experience with the company and the development of the kits for Lexus and Toyotas. He was 100% confident that my 05 GX factory radio will recognize the XM and display (3 x 6 preset screens) on the NAV screen. I've got fingers and toes crossed, and will update CL on how it goes.

Enjoy your Good-As-New 07!
Old 05-06-16, 05:35 AM
MRG242
Driver School Candidate

Mike, Congrats on your new dash. I haven't heard anymore on ours, but am hoping for a timeline similar to yours! Did the dealer get yours done in one day, or longer?

Regarding XM ... I have just ordered the Vaistech SL3sat-L, and have sked the install for next week. Spoke to a tech rep at Vaistech (Eugene) who has good experience with the company and the development of the kits for Lexus and Toyotas. He was 100% confident that my 05 GX factory radio will recognize the XM and display (3 x 6 preset screens) on the NAV screen. I've got fingers and toes crossed, and will update CL on how it goes.

Enjoy your Good-As-New 07!
Thanks! Yep, that had it for 1 day. From the service order it looks like it took just about 4 hrs total. I have found 1 thing wrong with the install. My lights around the shifter, height control and ride control are out. I'm guessing they either didn't plug a connector in or didn't get it in properly. I'll fish around and try to find it, and if not, I'll have them correct the next time I take it in.

I'm not familiar with Vaistech. I'll give it a Google. What was the total cost and where does it install?

Mike
Old 05-06-16, 01:12 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UWdave
I just bought a 2007 GX470. It looks like the previous owner painted over the cracks with some sort of plastidip like material.

Lexus dealer denied my warranty because the car had been "modified". Very lame. I'm trying to get ahold of Lexus of America to contest the denial.

If you don't get anywhere with Lexus there is a Coverlay which is a better version of a dash mat. We used one in my grandfathers 1993 F250 and it fits very well.
Old 05-07-16, 06:05 PM
orion7mm
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! Yep, that had it for 1 day. From the service order it looks like it took just about 4 hrs total. I have found 1 thing wrong with the install. My lights around the shifter, height control and ride control are out. I'm guessing they either didn't plug a connector in or didn't get it in properly. I'll fish around and try to find it, and if not, I'll have them correct the next time I take it in.

I'm not familiar with Vaistech. I'll give it a Google. What was the total cost and where does it install?

Mike

Hi Mike,
Vaistech (Denver area, CO) phone is 720-733-2348 x3 for Tech Support. Ordered their SL3sat-L on Amazon. It was bundled with the SiriusXM SXV-300 sat tuner and 2 plastic tools for dash removal. Bundle cost was $249.99 with free ship via amazon.

The Interface box, tuner and wires install behind the factory radio and plug into back of the factory radio.

I hope to have the install done this coming week. Will update CL with the outcome.

Hope you've sorted out your lights. Cheers!
Old 05-11-16, 11:22 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Finally had the dealer call me. I will be dropping off Monday evening and picking up Tuesday evening.
Old 05-11-16, 11:37 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Good luck!

Chip H.
Old 05-13-16, 08:30 AM
MRG242
Driver School Candidate

Hi Mike,
Vaistech (Denver area, CO) phone is 720-733-2348 x3 for Tech Support. Ordered their SL3sat-L on Amazon. It was bundled with the SiriusXM SXV-300 sat tuner and 2 plastic tools for dash removal. Bundle cost was $249.99 with free ship via amazon.

The Interface box, tuner and wires install behind the factory radio and plug into back of the factory radio.

I hope to have the install done this coming week. Will update CL with the outcome.

Hope you've sorted out your lights. Cheers!
Thanks for the reply. Nope I haven't had time to dig into the lights issue yet. I figured I'd have the dealer sort it out the next time its in since I think it was something they caused.

Any update on your install?

Mike
Old 05-16-16, 04:54 PM
orion7mm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Justin727
Finally had the dealer call me. I will be dropping off Monday evening and picking up Tuesday evening.

Hi Justin,
Good Luck with your rig. I hope your dash looks better than new!
Old 05-16-16, 05:01 PM
orion7mm
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. Nope I haven't had time to dig into the lights issue yet. I figured I'd have the dealer sort it out the next time its in since I think it was something they caused.

Any update on your install?

Mike

HI Mike,

Yes! The Vaistech SL3sat-Lexus Interface Kit (including the S-XM SXV-300 Tuner) were installed last week. All the new components are out-of-sight behind the factory radio, AND everything works as advertised!

I just posted more specific feedback on the CL Thread: "How to? Add XM Radio to 2005 GX 470?"

Let me know if you need any more info. Cheers!

Last edited by orion7mm; 05-16-16 at 05:04 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-17-16, 05:58 AM
MRG242
Driver School Candidate

HI Mike,

Yes! The Vaistech SL3sat-Lexus Interface Kit (including the S-XM SXV-300 Tuner) were installed last week. All the new components are out-of-sight behind the factory radio, AND everything works as advertised!

I just posted more specific feedback on the CL Thread: "How to? Add XM Radio to 2005 GX 470?"

Let me know if you need any more info. Cheers!
Great! Thanks for the info. I'll check out the other thread.

Any word on your dash replacement?

Mike
Old 05-18-16, 05:24 PM
BiloxiGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to finding this great forum, I called my local Lexus dealer (Lexus of Clearwater), and am now on the list to have my dash replaced as well. Timeline is sometime this year, which is completely fine with me, just happy to be on the list. They said the same as other dealers, only get a few dash kits in per month.
Old 05-19-16, 10:37 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

You should have gotten a letter from Lexus about this. Go register at:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do

Depending on your year, you might have another open recall on the side-curtain airbag controller.

Chip H.

Quick Reply: My Dashboard is Cracking