GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Amber bulbs needed for '07+ Sport tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 10:39 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Amber bulbs needed for '07+ Sport tail lights?

I have a non-sport GX so the rear tail light has the amber lenses.

I ordered the sport tail lights and wondering if I simply re-use the turn signal bulbs I have or if I have to order amber tinted turn signal bulbs? Part number?

Thanks.

P.S. Sewell parts guy seems to have no clue. I said look, here's a pic on your site. If a sport GX owner comes to you saying he needs a replacement bulb, what's that part number? He says it doesn't show in the Lexus parts catalog to be diff, but yet I would need to source an amber colored bulb. wtf

Last edited by ROK; 11-16-11 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-16-11, 10:51 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
I have a non-sport GX so the rear tail light has the amber lenses.

I ordered the sport tail lights and wondering if I simply re-use the turn signal bulbs I have or if I have to order amber tinted turn signal bulbs? Part number?

Thanks.

P.S. Sewell parts guy seems to have no clue. I said look, here's a pic on your site. If a sport GX owner comes to you saying he needs a replacement bulb, what's that part number? He says it doesn't show in the Lexus parts catalog to be diff, but yet I would need to source an amber colored bulb. wtf

Ben - please be patient. While you were speaking with one of more seasoned veterans the issue is with the parts catalog. I understand we offered a quick solution however I surmise you were looking for something different.

Please be patient will we look into this. We too see the image with the amber bulb.

Darrel
Old 11-16-11, 11:03 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sewell
xxx- please be patient. While you were speaking with one of more seasoned veterans the issue is with the parts catalog. I understand we offered a quick solution however I surmise you were looking for something different.

Please be patient will we look into this. We too see the image with the amber bulb.

Darrel
I'm sure you and others here can understand why we feel a bit confused. You guys offer great pricing and I obviously appreciate the value having just ordered $387worth of Lexus goods thru Sewell, but the service is valuable as well.

I don't want to go to my local aftermarket parts vendor when I'm buying OEM stuff. Thanks for researching.

P.S. I don't appreciate you guys posting up my name aka personal information here pls delete thx

Last edited by ROK; 11-16-11 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-16-11, 11:09 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Believe the non-sport rear turn signal bulbs are amber. So you should be able tio reuse.
Old 11-16-11, 11:12 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

That'd be ideal - thx, Red.

Any instructions on how to install? I understand it's simple, but I don't have a garage and tools other than a screwdriver which I believe is all I need. Thanks, again.
Old 11-16-11, 11:14 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

From the Slyvannia website:

Auto Lamp Replacement Guide - Results
Print out the list and find them at your nearest retailer.

Stay informed about new products from SYLVANIA. Sign up with one of our newsletters and let us help you with your needs.

When two or more lamps are listed for the same application, remove the lamp and check the numerical designation.

2007 LEXUS GX470

Low beam headlamp
H11
H11SU SilverStar Ultra: The brightest and whitest light. Up to 50% brighter, up to 40% more downroad visibility and up to 50% more sideroad visibility.
H11ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
H11XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

High beam headlamp
9005SU SilverStar Ultra: The brightest and whitest light. Up to 50% brighter, up to 40% more downroad visibility and up to 50% more sideroad visibility.
9005ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
9005EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice. Save Energy - Save Money. Up to 25% brighter light. CO2 reduced 9 to 21%. Gas savings $2 to $19.
9005XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.
9005CB Cool Blue: The whiter light for style. Up to 25% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

Parking light
168ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
168LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front turn signal
4157NA

Rear turn signal
7440ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
7440LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Tail light
7443ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
7443LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Stop light
7443ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
7443LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.
Old 11-16-11, 11:14 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ROK
That'd be ideal - thx, Red.

Any instructions on how to install? I understand it's simple, but I don't have a garage and tools other than a screwdriver which I believe is all I need. Thanks, again.
Absolutely!
Old 11-16-11, 11:17 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Hey ROK,

While you're changing the whole light assembly, you might want to replace the standard bulbs with LED bulbs?
Old 11-16-11, 11:18 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Thanks for the out of the box thought, but aside from the xenondepot HID kit, I'm going to stay as close to stock as possible just because I value being able to go to a Lexus/Toyota dealer to source parts in case something goes wrong.

Thanks, again, for looking out!
Old 11-16-11, 11:21 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Thanks for your patience - I know it's been a few minutes but we tried to get this resolved just as fast as we could.

We found two GX models in our vehicle inventory to which allowed us to directly compare the two side-by-side. The Sport package GX clearly takes the single filament amber bulb. While it's clear this is what is found in the GX, our electronic parts catalog states the opposite - a single filament clear bulb.

We removed the tail lamp from the Sport package GX and we determined the bulb needed is a part number 90981-15011.

I hope that helps.

Darrel
Old 11-16-11, 11:21 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ROK
Thanks for the out of the box thought, but aside from the xenondepot HID kit, I'm going to stay as close to stock as possible just because I value being able to go to a Lexus/Toyota dealer to source parts in case something goes wrong.

Thanks, again, for looking out!
LED = brighter, longer lasting
Old 11-16-11, 11:37 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sewell
Thanks for your patience - I know it's been a few minutes but we tried to get this resolved just as fast as we could.

We found two GX models in our vehicle inventory to which allowed us to directly compare the two side-by-side. The Sport package GX clearly takes the single filament amber bulb. While it's clear this is what is found in the GX, our electronic parts catalog states the opposite - a single filament clear bulb.

We removed the tail lamp from the Sport package GX and we determined the bulb needed is a part number 90981-15011.

I hope that helps.

Darrel
This is good info - thx. You guys went the xtra step to actually go out and check against your own inventory. I wish my experience on the phone with the parts guy was in the same vein of wanting to help fromthe outset.

Instead, here is my experience in engaging you guys for the first time aside from me using your online store and punching in my visa:

-I asked simply whether I need amber bulbs for the sport tail lights since my stock tail lights on my non sport has an amber lens

-Parts guy told me he didn't know, it looks to be the same part number, but nothing definitive - said there should be one available at my local auto parts vendor to which I replied if a sport GX client comes to you saying he/she needs a replacement bulb, what do you do?

-Parts guy said they'd research it and email it to me. They were about to hang up until I said wait don't you need my email?

Given the lack of confidence I had with the sewell rep and given how i'm a huge fan of Club Lexus (as you can tell), I posted up this question in this open forum. Then I receive a PM from one of you guys saying how I was "blatant" in my approach when I'm merely just trying to figure out what bulb I need. what's blatant is sewell addressing me by name which i find to be an invasion of my privacy.

Bottom-line, This thread helped me get at the answer I need, but i feel hard pressed to support a business that accuses me of doing something wrong when in fact I think this thread is of value to folks who want to go witht he sport tail lights.

If the CL censors this thing and deletes it, well I'm out of here.
Old 11-16-11, 11:39 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Hey ROK,

The Sewell parts description for the Sports Tail light says:

Kit Includes:
Driver side rear tail lamp
Passenger side rear tail lamp
2 Amber bulbs
2 Tail lamp plugs

Looks like you got what you need, no?
Old 11-16-11, 11:40 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

We've now updated the Sport Tail Lamps on the site to include the additional amber bulbs to avoid this mishap in the future.

We're finding this one interesting. Here's the description we have of the GX Sport package is as follows:
...the Sport Model includes an elegant dark graphite finish for the GX 470’s 17-in. alloy wheels and roof rack, smoked bezel headlamp and foglamp trim, black pearl finish Lexus emblem and badging, a dark tint for the back-up lens, plus a chrome license plate garnish and exhaust tip.

We could not determine where the dark tint is on the back up lens, nor the black pearl Lexus emblem or even the smoked bezel headlamp and fog lamp trim on the Sport model we have on our lot. SO we have wrong info in our parts catalog and incorrect descriptions as to what's included in the package from the factory. Argh.

Darrel
Old 11-16-11, 11:42 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by redrocks
Hey ROK,

The Sewell parts description for the Sports Tail light says:

Kit Includes:
Driver side rear tail lamp
Passenger side rear tail lamp
2 Amber bulbs
2 Tail lamp plugs

Looks like you got what you need, no?
To give credit where it's due, Sewell just updated it cuz of this activity here. But given I ordered the kit prior, I will not be receiving these two amber bulbs. which is fine.

Yet they still haven't deleted my name from the post here. how would you feel if your name was used in a public forum without your permission?

Quick Reply: Amber bulbs needed for '07+ Sport tail lights?