GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What did you do to your GX TODAY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 11:34 AM
jnorris1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I love your GX

Originally Posted by djkicks
New Wheels and Tires

Installing new slotted rotors and brakes next. Followed by new spark plugs.
3 questions
what lift did you put on it?
what size wheels?
what size tires?

Thank you
Old 04-05-16, 11:50 AM
jnorris1
Driver School Candidate

what size wheels and tires did you go with?
Old 04-05-16, 03:18 PM
bbrowncods
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NTH
Any tips on pulling out the old airbags? Thanks
I did it one side at a time. Jack up the frame/body allowing the rear axle to remain on the ground until the shock reaches full extension and the axle/wheel starts to raise off the ground. Remove wheel. Pull airlines off the accumulator assembly allowing remaining air to bleed off. I had to loosen the accumulator assembly in order to get my arm close enough to pull the clip that holds the airbag. Pull the airline off first and then the clip. The bag will now just basically fall out.
The right side is easier as you can reach the clip and know what to expect from doing the left side.
It is criminal how easy it is, and knowing how much the dealer charges.
Old 04-05-16, 06:16 PM
matmanx1
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Replaced both front door 6x9 speakers with DS18's from Amazon. The factory Mark Levinson units were literally falling apart inside the door panel and were obviously not making much sound.

The DS18's, for about $35, are heavier, denser and higher quality looking and feeling than the OEM ML speakers, which is just crazy to me. The sound is also very good, with clear, strong mid's and percussion.

A worthy upgrade for anyone with a 1st gen GX and the ML stereo.

Next up, rear sub, as soon as my replacement speaker gets here!
Old 04-06-16, 06:08 AM
bluedurama
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matmanx1
Replaced both front door 6x9 speakers with DS18's from Amazon. The factory Mark Levinson units were literally falling apart inside the door panel and were obviously not making much sound.

The DS18's, for about $35, are heavier, denser and higher quality looking and feeling than the OEM ML speakers, which is just crazy to me. The sound is also very good, with clear, strong mid's and percussion.

I am assuming you mean the speaker in the rear at the passenger side. I have looked at checking out mine and cannot see how to remove the speaker/cover. Any ideas how?
Old 04-06-16, 09:39 AM
cgdrennan
Driver

Originally Posted by matmanx1

I'm assuming you went with the "DS18 MB69B 450 Watts Mid-Bass Speaker with Bullet, Set of 2" from Amazon? Not a bad price at all for the pair. The ohms are the same between the ds18 and the stock ML speakers? I have an 04 with the ML system and it sounds pretty good to me. I'm just taking notes so I know what to buy when my speakers start to go like I've read here on CL.
Old 04-06-16, 10:37 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrowncods
I did it one side at a time. Jack up the frame/body allowing the rear axle to remain on the ground until the shock reaches full extension and the axle/wheel starts to raise off the ground. Remove wheel. Pull airlines off the accumulator assembly allowing remaining air to bleed off. I had to loosen the accumulator assembly in order to get my arm close enough to pull the clip that holds the airbag. Pull the airline off first and then the clip. The bag will now just basically fall out.
The right side is easier as you can reach the clip and know what to expect from doing the left side.
It is criminal how easy it is, and knowing how much the dealer charges.
Thank you!
Old 04-06-16, 08:23 PM
bbrowncods
Rookie

Glad to help NTH!
----------------------------------------------------
With all the maintenance I have been doing I got a Maintenance App - Car Minder. Took a couple of hours to go through the Maintenance Manual and load all the intervals into the app. Looks real good and can be customized and downloaded.
Old 04-11-16, 06:12 AM
melcoeb
Driver School Candidate

Bought an '03 in OH, flew in and drove it to NJ rather than have it shipped. esterday, did full exterior detail, checked tranny fluid level (03's come with a dipstick!), re-polished headlights. Will swap wheels with my Sequoia just to see what it'll look like.
Old 04-14-16, 10:34 AM
melcoeb
Driver School Candidate

Blacked out the emblems and grill, installed new hood struts.
Old 04-14-16, 02:57 PM
USAPrado
Driver School Candidate

Started drilling into my ignition cylinder lock as it decided to lock out on me yesterday right as I hit 160k miles. Luckily I was able to make it home without being stranded. Anyway, I ordered a new one from myLparts. Hopefully it comes by Saturday as I only live 70 miles from the place. Looks like it comes with two new keys as well, which is awesome.
Old 04-16-16, 02:28 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Today I banged out rear brake pads and rotors, tire rotation, and driveline greasing. Earlier in the week I did an oil change, it's just about to roll over 200k kms, and still mechanically fit as a fiddle!
Old 04-17-16, 09:28 AM
sadkomodo
Driver School Candidate

Default New rotors and calipers

Old...

And new....
Old 04-17-16, 10:47 AM
justweav5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sadkomodo

Old...

And new....
Looks really good, what rotors and calipers? I am in need of changing both out soon. Thanks!
Old 04-17-16, 02:39 PM
roemer7
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

New rear Bilstein 5100s. I'll do the fronts when I get some more time. It already rides so much better than before.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your GX TODAY?-image-996991355.jpg  

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GX TODAY?