GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What did you do to your GX TODAY?

Old 04-01-14, 06:03 PM
Fluid
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roemer7
Fluid - Where did you get your seat covers? I love the idea. I just spent the better part of Saturday scrubbing down the back seats of our 2006 GX.

Interestingly, while searching for seat covers, I came across this site: http://www.seatcoverman.com/cotton.html
He uses a GX on his homepage banner, yet he doesn't offer Lexus as a manufacturer option.
Seat Savers, they're out of Miami I believe. It takes ~ 3 weeks after ordering because I believe they make-to-order. But this is the 3rd vehicle I've bought from them and love 'em.
Old 04-04-14, 09:32 AM
Sethro
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Working on getting the timing belt replaced, doing water pump while I am at

Seth

Old 04-04-14, 11:02 AM
amccaulx
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sethro
Working on getting the timing belt replaced, doing water pump while I am at

Seth

What Tool/process are you using to release the tension in the VVTI Cam Gears?
Old 04-10-14, 10:26 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Tonight I dug into my front brakes, as I've been underwhelmed by the braking lately. I had new rotors, and hawk lts pads to put on, but when I got in there I found seized calipers on one bank of pistons on both front calipers. Looks like new calipers are in my future.
Old 04-17-14, 03:06 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Did an oil change today. This is the GX's first oil change since I purchased it last November.
According to mylexus, the truck has been regularly serviced by a dealer. Not too sure about that. Can independent shops add data to mylexus?

Had to use a breaker bar to remove the 12mm bolts on the skid plate. The oil filter was on really tight! Oil filter was not OEM. The only way I could get the drain plug out was to use "Bluto" my Ingersol-Rand super whammer jammer impact drill. The drain plug was either going to unscrew or have its head ripped off. Scarey! Whew! The plug unscrewed. There was no crush washer on the plug. Drain plug access cover is missing. I'm going to install all new skid plate hardware and repaint the skid plate next oil change. Put in Mobil1 synthetic and a Mobil1 high capacity filter. Installed a new drain plug and a crush washer. Put anti-seize compound on the old skid plate hardware. Things should go much easier next time!
Old 04-18-14, 07:02 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 470reasons
Did an oil change today. This is the GX's first oil change since I purchased it last November.
Had to use a breaker bar to remove the 12mm bolts on the skid plate. The oil filter was on really tight! Oil filter was not OEM. The only way I could get the drain plug out was to use "Bluto" my Ingersol-Rand super whammer jammer impact drill. The drain plug was either going to unscrew or have its head ripped off. Scarey! Whew! The plug unscrewed. There was no crush washer on the plug. Drain plug access cover is missing. I'm going to install all new skid plate hardware and repaint the skid plate next oil change. Put in Mobil1 synthetic and a Mobil1 high capacity filter. Installed a new drain plug and a crush washer. Put anti-seize compound on the old skid plate hardware. Things should go much easier next time!
You and I are like on same schedule, running into same things.. lol.

I just did oil/filter change on past Sunday, (my first as well, getting rid of Chevy dealer oil and AC delco filter) and I too needed the breaker bar to remove the bolts on skid plate. (I removed all of it, including the plastic cover ahead of the skid plate) My drain plug gasket was there, and it wasn't too bad to remove, I used torque wrench to tighten it back up, and the anti-seize compound on the skid plate bolts too... and I used mobile 1 extended range (15k) oil and mobile 1 filter as well... (bought oil from walmart on sale for 25$ (5qt bottle, needed 1/5th of the next bottle) and I had stock piled Mobile 1 filters for 3 other Toyota products in my household)

By the way, how is your dash cam holding up?
Old 04-18-14, 02:43 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

You and I are like on same schedule, running into same things.. lol.
Yeah, and we are working with the same weather conditions. Finally getting some almost good weather!

After dealing with the problems during our oil changes, it's very obvious that the shops don't put "Master Mechanics" in the oil change bay!

(bought oil from walmart on sale for 25$ (5qt bottle, needed 1/5th of the next bottle)
Mine took 5qts plus 1/2 of the 6th qt. Rechecked today and it's right at the top mark on the stick. So hard to see, the oil is so clean!

I used torque wrench to tighten it back up,
What is the torque spec for the drain plug?

By the way, how is your dash cam holding up?
Camera is working fine. Pulled it last week to look at the video on the computer. Looks good.
I did change the resolution back to 720 from 1080. The field of view is just not wide enough in 1080.
Old 04-18-14, 02:49 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 144 Posts

Hmmmm mine takes an easy 6 1/2 qts.....
Old 04-18-14, 02:57 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Hmmmm mine takes an easy 6 1/2 qts.....
You are right! I thought it was a 5 qt carton plus an extra 1qt bottle.

It was really a 6 qt carton plus an extra quart. So I actually put in 6 1/2 quarts.
Old 04-18-14, 03:24 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, it was about 6.5 quarts. Between 4 cars, the extra 5qt bottle go almost empty. The torque specs I read were between 25-30 ft lbs, I left them at 28. I really didn't feel comfortable going more. Local Lexus dealer gave me the gasket washers free. I do oil changes for all cars in my household on 1 day, and next change is in October. Fun!

I think I'm going to get the same dash cam, really can't justify spending more, I'm glad its working out good.
Old 04-18-14, 04:21 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lmcqueen
Yeah, it was about 6.5 quarts. Between 4 cars, the extra 5qt bottle go almost empty. The torque specs I read were between 25-30 ft lbs, I left them at 28. I really didn't feel comfortable going more. Local Lexus dealer gave me the gasket washers free. I do oil changes for all cars in my household on 1 day, and next change is in October. Fun!

I think I'm going to get the same dash cam, really can't justify spending more, I'm glad its working out good.
I have no problem recommending the camera. Actually, I may get another one for the rear. Scary what goes on back there!
Old 04-21-14, 10:06 AM
bhesse
Rookie

Thumbs up

Got rid of my old Cross Terrains and had 4 new Michelin LTX M/S2 installed, what a difference, night and day. Very happy with this although they were expensive I think the quality shows
Old 04-23-14, 10:42 PM
Sethro
Rookie

Replaced all 4 rotors with cross drilled and slotted, new pads too

Seth
Old 04-25-14, 01:19 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Used a file to put a 'V' in the lip of the gas door release lever under the dash.
Now I can tell the hood release from the gas door release by feel.
No more opening the hood at the gas station !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!+1000
Old 04-26-14, 05:09 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Enjoyed a nice drive after swimming all day.

We say a huge, at least 4ft., diamond backed rattlesnake in the middle of the road. There were several bikers in back of me that had to swerve to avoid it and lucky for them there was nobody in the oncoming lane.

Name:  Chillinrattlesnake_zpsfe001ee8.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  164.9 KB

Name:  ChillinGX_zpsfbd0f6e7.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  87.7 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your GX TODAY?