GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What did you do to your GX TODAY?

Old 01-24-14, 06:48 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

THANKS RC!

As always your are very helpful, I know you are not going to do the transmission oil change DIY and I am surprised, since you are doing lot more complicated stuff, but I am going to read through it and tackle the job. I think with proper measurements watching temp it can be done. Another thing I am going to do is keep old and new fluid over night next to each other, so it can be at room temp, so I will know how much to add as a an additional step.

I will also try to completely flush steering fluid. Will research it out, since I have never done it.

Its not about saving few hundred $, its more of a satisfaction. I never have done differential lube before, flush brakes, differential fluids, crankcase fluids with your help and reading MANN posts I was able to do it and it came out well.

By the way, I have been reading all of these posts about the strut and springs, I am getting nervous, I dont have any problem at the moment but I know it is coming.
Old 01-24-14, 07:49 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gxman1
THANKS RC!

As always your are very helpful, I know you are not going to do the transmission oil change DIY and I am surprised, since you are doing lot more complicated stuff, but I am going to read through it and tackle the job. I think with proper measurements watching temp it can be done. Another thing I am going to do is keep old and new fluid over night next to each other, so it can be at room temp, so I will know how much to add as a an additional step.

Its not about saving few hundred $, its more of a satisfaction. I never have done differential lube before, flush brakes, differential fluids, crankcase fluids with your help and reading MANN posts I was able to do it and it came out well.
I know what you mean. I like to tinker / fix things so if I can or think I can fix something I'll try it. Worst case I can't fix it and I'll have it towed to Lexus / Toyota and have them fix it. However, I'll be the first one to admit that I'm scared to mess w/ the transmission. If anything goes wrong (and with me it usually does) I don't want to be out thousands for a rebuilt transmission, so that's one thing I'm letting Lexus / Toyota handle for me just so I know it's done correctly....hopefully.

Originally Posted by gxman1
By the way, I have been reading all of these posts about the strut and springs, I am getting nervous, I dont have any problem at the moment but I know it is coming.
I've already partially bitten that bullet w/ replacing the shocks. My ride height system is still working fine *knock on wood*, but it's the nature of the beast. These systems make for a smooth ride but since it has so many working parts it gets very expensive trying to fix it if and when something goes wrong.
Old 01-26-14, 03:33 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Yes more stuff. What can I say...I get bored w/ my vehicles.

Last edited by RCsGX; 01-27-14 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-26-14, 04:32 PM
sprocket
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my local Toyota dealer do my 90K service yesterday. Also did the water pump, front & rear differential and transfer case. Even had them replace the rear wiper. Peace of mind.
Old 01-29-14, 11:40 AM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Had Wilson's do the 192,000 km (120,000 mile) service on the GX which is pretty extensive.
They're a local independent Toyota/Honda shop we and our friends have trusted for the past several years and they don't mind if I supply my own fluids and parts. Since this is the first service on the GX since I bought it used in December last year, I thought I'd take it in for a good going-over:

New iridium NGK plugs - bought on sale at local Canadian Tire store
Engine air filter
Cabin air filter
Amsoil synthetic 5W30 and Ea engine oil filter - all Amsoil I buy direct on my commercial acct.
Amsoil synthetic SS ATF in tranny
Amsoil synthetic 75W90 severe gear oil in diffs and xfr case
Toyota red super long-life coolant flush and refill
Toyota Dot 3 brake fluid flush and refill
P/S fluid change with Amsoil synthetic SS ATF
Lube drive shaft joints
Lube locks and hinges
Rotate tires
Re-clamp front c/v boot on drive-shaft due to small leak
Clean and lube caliper pins and brake service (minor)
Inspection and road test.

Should be in good shape to pass the 200,000 km mark in the spring. Truck is still young and rock solid! (knockin' on bird's eye maple)
Next time, I'll tackle some of the maintenance items myself just to save some $$ and have a few extra beers
Old 01-31-14, 09:40 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Old 03-06-14, 12:27 PM
tutuan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got these rims installed today. Quite happy with how it looks. They are FJ Cruiser 17" Trail Edition

Name:  470a_zpsb795c7e2.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  91.3 KB
The following users liked this post:
uvaldocc22 (02-18-24)
Old 03-06-14, 12:45 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

you got that bull bar on that bad boy. How expensive were the rims and did you get them from a dealer?
Old 03-06-14, 01:39 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks Good. First GX I've seen with these wheels installed.
I thought these had 106mm hub holes. Obviously not - unless you had a REALLY hard time getting them on. LOL!
How about a pic of the front bull bar/lights?
Old 03-06-14, 02:25 PM
tutuan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for compliments. I got 5 wheels (rim + tire) from the bay for 1200 shipped. I'll try to get a pic of the bull bar later. It's just for "the look" only, nothing serious here
Old 03-06-14, 03:48 PM
amccaulx
Rookie

Originally Posted by tutuan
Just got these rims installed today. Quite happy with how it looks. They are FJ Cruiser 17" Trail Edition

How did you get the "L" on the center cap? Looks really good BTW!
Old 03-06-14, 03:58 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

you just pop the toyota one off and pop that one in from the old rims. What does that Bull do to you when doing an oil change? Any interference?
Old 03-06-14, 05:59 PM
msn619
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Yes more stuff. What can I say...I get bored w/ my vehicles.

where did you buy the replacement panels? I want to replace my wood grain look to something like my wife's is250, looks nice man
Old 03-06-14, 06:09 PM
msn619
Driver School Candidate

anyone know where I can buy a illuminated scuff plate for our GX470? I googled around for months only one I found was a shady site maybe even out of the country and its a NO

Old 03-06-14, 06:27 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by msn619
where did you buy the replacement panels? I want to replace my wood grain look to something like my wife's is250, looks nice man
My thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-metallic.html

If you want the wood grain look the only way to do that is have your panels hydro-dipped. See post #31 in the link below:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ck-wood-3.html

Originally Posted by msn619
anyone know where I can buy a illuminated scuff plate for our GX470? I googled around for months only one I found was a shady site maybe even out of the country and its a NO

I thought about doing this...I even had some SC sills lined up for cheap but changed my mind.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-destruct.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your GX TODAY?