GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What did you do to your GX TODAY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-14, 07:38 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
I'd like to drain & fill the tranny fluid as it's going to be original as well, but I understand it's a tricky process compared to most, and these units are very sensitive to the level. Anyone have a DIY for that? The PO towed with this truck, so I'm sure it could stand to be freshened up.
You need to have the fluid at the correct temp. Since you don't need to change it often, I'd pay the $200 or so and let the dealer do it.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-c...procedure.html

Last edited by RCsGX; 01-10-14 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-10-14, 07:59 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
You need to have the fluid at the correct temp. Since you don't need to change it often, I'd pay the $200 or so and let the dealer do it.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-c...procedure.html
Thanks for the link! That looks like something I could do in the garage, but I'll wait for some warmer weather when I can have the overhead doors open as you need to run the engine. I guess just running the truck on jackstands will eventually bring the tranny up to temp, you don't need to drive?
Old 01-10-14, 08:05 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I guess just running the truck on jackstands will eventually bring the tranny up to temp, you don't need to drive?
You could but I personally wouldn't do that. If you do, make sure your home owners insurance is paid up if you plan on doing it in your garage.
Old 01-10-14, 08:13 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

You could but I personally wouldn't do that. If you do, make sure your home owners insurance is paid up if you plan on doing it in your garage.
If it's up on jackstands, it's not going anywhere, even in gear. The garage is brand new as of November due to a garage fire I suffered last January, I don't need anymore bad things happening in there for a while.
Old 01-10-14, 09:47 AM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

If it's up on jackstands, it's not going anywhere, even in gear. (
LOL! Just to be safe, back the car into the garage and leave the door up. Let your neighbor across the street deal with the aftermath!
Old 01-10-14, 10:14 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 470reasons
LOL! Just to be safe, back the car into the garage and leave the door up. Let your neighbor across the street deal with the aftermath!
That's a decent plan, but then all the exhaust goes into the garage, instead of out the door. I could use my exhaust fan as that's at the back of the garage, or just put it in reverse and drive in nose 1st, lol. Lots of options, lots of time to figure it out as we're in the clutches of winter right now anyways.
Old 01-10-14, 10:20 AM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

That's a decent plan, but then all the exhaust goes into the garage, instead of out the door. I could use my exhaust fan as that's at the back of the garage, or just put it in reverse and drive in nose 1st, lol. Lots of options, lots of time to figure it out as we're in the clutches of winter right now anyways.
I was kidding. Don't run the GX on jack stands. Not safe.
But, if you do it, make a video. You could be a YouTube star!
Old 01-10-14, 07:59 PM
EF470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed fully integrated satellite into my newly acquired Blizzard Pearl 2005 GX470. There's only one company I know of that makes a kit to do it and it integrates flawlessly into the system and looks and operates just like it came off the line that way.

Also got a whole new parking brake assembly (but paid someone else to do that), as that's the only thing it needed when I got it a week ago.
Old 01-10-14, 10:36 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Installed new front rotors and pads.

Originally Posted by EF470
Just installed fully integrated satellite into my newly acquired Blizzard Pearl 2005 GX470. There's only one company I know of that makes a kit to do it and it integrates flawlessly into the system and looks and operates just like it came off the line that way.
What company would that be? Are you talking about satellite TV or satellite radio?

For the radio (SiriusXM) I know Vaistech makes a kit that is factory looking, meaning the tuner is hidden and you control everything through the factory HU and it displays text on the HU too. I'm thinking of going with that kit soon because I'm getting bored with the same old stuff through my iPhone and the same old CDs.
Old 01-11-14, 07:18 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

What kind of rotors are those? What did you use for pads? I've got some Hawk LTS pads for the front I need to get on the truck, rears are already done with Brembo blanks.
Old 01-11-14, 08:26 AM
EF470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What company would that be? Are you talking about satellite TV or satellite radio?

For the radio (SiriusXM) I know Vaistech makes a kit that is factory looking, meaning the tuner is hidden and you control everything through the factory HU and it displays text on the HU too. I'm thinking of going with that kit soon because I'm getting bored with the same old stuff through my iPhone and the same old CDs.
SiriusXM. That's the kit. It's working beautifully. I had an external unit on my 99 RX so this is wonderful to have. My husband installed it last night and found it quite simple and he's nowhere near a pro at that stuff. It came with great instructions and I'm super pleased with it. Highly recommended.
Old 01-11-14, 08:40 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EF470
SiriusXM. That's the kit. It's working beautifully. I had an external unit on my 99 RX so this is wonderful to have. My husband installed it last night and found it quite simple and he's nowhere near a pro at that stuff. It came with great instructions and I'm super pleased with it. Highly recommended.
Glad to hear you like it. Their kits are easy to install, basically remove factory plugs and plugs these inline.

What kind of rotors are those? What did you use for pads? I've got some Hawk LTS pads for the front I need to get on the truck, rears are already done with Brembo blanks.
Raybestos R-300. For pads I went w/ Akebono ACT976.

I've read good things about Hawk LTS pads. A lot of Tundra guys run them and they work well.

For the rear rotors I'm still undecided. For the rear pads I'm going with Akebono ACT606. I checked my rotors and pads yesterday and both are well within specs so I still have time to decide and do more research on the rotors.
Old 01-24-14, 11:41 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

YES, I have another something to do to my GX today.

Decided to install a Fumoto F-103N oil drain valve too. I'm going to send it a few oil analysis samples so using this I won't make a mess.

EDIT:
Just did my oil change and decided to use a larger Purolator PSL30001 oil filter instead of the Amsoil.

Last edited by RCsGX; 02-01-14 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-24-14, 04:21 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

YES, I have another something to do to my GX today.

How many quarts of motor oil is that? By the way on your post above regarding transmission flush, the link is for LX procedure, do you think it is same for GX?

Top of your head now many qts for motor oil change with filter change, 6.5 qts?
Old 01-24-14, 04:47 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gxman1
How many quarts of motor oil is that?
8qts total; 1gal. jug & 4 single quart bottles.

I'm getting an oil analysis done on my current oil (Valvoline SynPower) and I'll do one for the Amsoil in 6 months or so. I probably would've been ok with buying 7qts. but I bought an extra just in case.

Top of your head now many qts for motor oil change with filter change, 6.5 qts?
Yes, 6.5qts. with a filter change.

By the way on your post above regarding transmission flush, the link is for LX procedure, do you think it is same for GX?
It should be. If not I'm attaching a zip file below with the correct procedure for our GX.
Attached Files

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GX TODAY?