GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What did you do to your GX TODAY?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-13, 08:12 PM
Lostjeeper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up an 04 today to haul the wife and kids around. I'm a jeep lover and have built a couple suspensions and burned up more offroad parts than a lot of people will ever use. I spend my free time crawling the southeast. I'm sure ill have some info to add, and some to pick up. First off, looks like I have a well built, body on frame platform here and I'm excited to take a minimalist approach to a modified gx. I see the timing belt service was performed 40k miles ago. Anything else to check out? Keep in mind that this isn't my first rodeo, and have personally inspected axle shafts, oil, filters, sensors, trans and diff fluids, wheel bearings, output bearings, plugs, and this sweet triple cat. Also, ride height sensors check out. Thanks fellas, ill throw some pics up soon of my other daily driver, the tj on 35's that I built with 4.56 gears and Detroit lockers. If anyone is interested in a daily driver that doesn't just do the daily drive, lol.
Old 05-18-13, 09:31 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
I think I'm going to bleed my brakes soon because the pedal feel is pretty spongy. Did you use the old pump the pedal technique? Pressure bleeder? Other?
I did the pump the pedal method with a buddy cracking the bleeders for me. The rears have a pump so they bleed very quickly compared to the fronts, just hold the bleeder open and the pump keeps pumping till it goes clear, just make sure you don't empty the reservoir as it goes quick!
Old 05-19-13, 11:49 AM
oardila99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Installed an iPhone 5 cable that comes out of the front the car, between the headliner and the windshield. i'll use it to charge my phone while in a suction mount that sits high up in the windshield, to the left of the mirror. No more cables!!!!

The phone cable feeds from the 12V source cable that powers the auto dimming mirror. It taps the cable above the headliner, and I found this cable by removing the map light housing.

Neat little upgrade that took about three hrs and ELIMINATES the phone charger cable hanging around the cabin!!!! Isn't that amazingly great?? It is for me since I abhorrence seeing cables in the car. I'll post pics when I figure out how to add them from an iPhone to the forum.

Last edited by oardila99; 05-19-13 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-19-13, 12:01 PM
oardila99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
. Went over to a buddy's place and repaired the harness under the driver's seat so the SRS dash light doesn't come on anymore, and disabled the TPMS dash light. 2 things that were really bugging me off the list!
Wait.... Fixed the harness??? What harness?? How? My SRS light comes on sometimes, and often after I adjust the drivers seat. What goes wrong with these harnesses and how do you fix this???

THANKS!
Old 05-19-13, 12:23 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oardila99
Wait.... Fixed the harness??? What harness?? How? My SRS light comes on sometimes, and often after I adjust the drivers seat. What goes wrong with these harnesses and how do you fix this???

THANKS!
The harness wears and the wire was actually broken, it's on the rear corner under the seat right near the belt buckle, just unbolt the seat and have a look underneath, you should be able to find the problem area. I repaired the broken wire and it's been good ever since. The memory seats mean the seats moves around a lot more than a normal vehicle, and they just wear out after a while.
Old 06-23-13, 03:48 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Dropped it off with a mechanic friend of mine to do the timing belt/waterpump/t-stat, and drill/tap the 3 broken off bolts for the front skidplate, he's going to do the work over the next couple evenings for me. I won't be in a position to take on a job of that size till fall, and it needs done now. Bought the Aisin kit off RockAuto, the t-stat and Toyota red coolant from the dealership, and the labor is very reasonably priced, I should be into this service only about $500.

Edit: Spoke too soon. My buddy just called to inform me the rad has started leaking and should be replaced. What brand rad are people using? Denso, Koyo? Who makes the OEM rad for these trucks?

Last edited by IanB2; 06-23-13 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-27-13, 07:39 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Well, I got the truck back last night, new timing belt/waterpump kit with bearings and tensioner (Aisin kit off RockAuto), OEM t-stat, Denso radiator, and had the snapped off bolts drilled out and re-tapped for the front skidplate, total cost $830CAN. Not bad, and now I can be confident the truck is ready for whatever this summer has to throw at it!

On another note, my new garage is coming along nicely, I have walls, and should have trusses by early next week! 28x30, floor heat, 9'6" ceiling, can't wait! Then I can get back to doing my own work.
Old 06-28-13, 11:41 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Got a chance to reinstall the front skidplate last night, holes drilled and tapped to a larger size bolt, worked like a charm!

Feels great to get the list of NEEDS knocked off before summer, and now I can get back to some of the WANTS I've been putting off in the meantime!
Old 06-28-13, 01:51 PM
fishhuntnc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IanB2

I've also got a bolt broken off on my front skid plate. Anyway to reliably remove that broken bolt at home, without taking it to a machinist ? I have a Craftsman broken bolt extractor but it rarely works well.
Old 06-28-13, 03:08 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fishhuntnc
IanB2

I've also got a bolt broken off on my front skid plate. Anyway to reliably remove that broken bolt at home, without taking it to a machinist ? I have a Craftsman broken bolt extractor but it rarely works well.
I had 3 snapped off bolts, and I farmed out the job to my mechanic buddy. He drilled all 4 holes out and tapped for a larger bolt. I had to drill out the 2 front holes on the skidplate as well, but it worked like a charm.

This could be done at home, but one thing I've never had good success with is drilling out broken bolts, so I'm not the guy to look to for tips on that.
Old 06-29-13, 12:36 PM
dauntlessG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced the alternator on my '08 a week ago... followed by a trip to the dealer to install new evaporator O-rings on the AC line after I'd stupidly drained all the freon out my system! When doing a repair it's important to own a repair manual, it pays for itself in the long run.

On the bright side, I now know how to do the timing belt when the time comes

Last edited by dauntlessG; 06-29-13 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Added more
Old 06-29-13, 05:12 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

The wife and I gave the Lexus a thorough cleaning today, vacuumed, steam cleaned carpets, wiped down all surfaces, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on any scuffs/marks on the plastics, got some marks off the headliner, Mothers protectant, q-tips in the vents and tight areas, leather conditioner, glass cleaned, scrubbed off the weathertech floormats, looks like new inside.

A vehicle never really feels like it's yours until you've given it a complete once over on the inside.

Now for the exterior, lol.
Old 06-30-13, 03:42 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Washed the truck really well today, then went over it with the touch up paint pen I got from the dealership a while back, looks great!
Old 07-12-13, 08:03 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Finally installed the GROM USB2 w/ bluetooth unit last night, works very nice! Charges my Iphone 5 with a cable adapter, plays music and podcasts back clearly (finally!). Still have to run the bluetooth mic up the A-pillar and mount it on the roof, but that can wait for another day.
Old 10-28-13, 09:33 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Took my '08 GX in for oil today and they told me the water pump was leaking, which they replaced under the power train warranty at no charge. Sweet! What's even better, I popped on a t-belt for ~$100 more. Sure, it was way early on mileage and time - but, the price couldn't be beaten. Here's what I say to my future 90k mi service: suck it!

P.S. The Service Advisor said it's not uncommon for these water pumps to go bad on the LX and GX. Not sure they use the same one, but an interesting "factoid" nonetheless. If my new one craps the bed, then I suppose the premature t-belt change wasn't such a steal. If on the other hand it does last, then here's a giant thanks to Lexus.

P.P.S. I gotta try the Magic Eraser. Good tip!

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 10-28-13 at 09:57 PM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GX TODAY?