GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Full Stereo Upgrade-OEM Parts available

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-11, 10:21 AM
headcrash
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Stereo Upgrade-OEM Parts available

So I am about to start a complete stereo system upgrade in my non-nav non Mark Levinson 2005 GX470. I thought I would post this in case anyone else wants to see what I am doing and how I am doing it in an effort to help them.

Here is what is planned:
•Installation of new DVD Headunit
•Video bypass module
•steering wheel control integration
•iPod w/video adaptor integration
•new 6.5" w/tweeters upfront in 6x9 location with adaptor
•new 6.5" in back doors
•removal of stock subwoofer and amplifiers
•new speaker cable to each door speaker
•2 new amplifiers custom mounted under each front seat

I will also then have all my OEM equipment speakers, headunit, amps available if anyone wants them for a fair price. I will post pictures up of the process if anyone needs them, should be fun
Old 10-26-11, 06:35 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's awesome! Take lots of pictures and post on your progress. I'm sure there will be many that would find the information useful.
Old 10-26-11, 08:50 AM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really excited to see how this works out. even the ML system in my GX has left me wanting.

if i keep my GX for a while I might embark on something like this.
Old 10-31-11, 04:14 PM
headcrash
Driver School Candidate

Default Status

So I removed the stock stereo, amp, all speakers in the car and have run all new wiring and power for 2 new amplifiers. I have taken pictures along the way as well. I am currently trying to find the parking break wire to integrate into the DVD unit which I have yet to find exactly the color and location of that wire. As soon as I finish I will start uploading pictures and answer any questions for anyone who wants to tackle this project. I am also waiting on my double-din trim ring as I had to take it to a local shop to match the paint since black is not a good match to the gold/grey that is the OEM color. Happy Halloween all.
Old 10-31-11, 06:58 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with the build. Nice call with the custom trim, it will look much better if it matched the grey.

I am wondering, on my ML nav system, the climate control is part of the nav display. How are you retaining climate control on the non-nav?
Old 11-21-11, 10:49 AM
KyleXX
Rookie

I don't have a GX but I would love to see how you got this done, thanks for sharing!
Old 11-28-11, 12:14 PM
headcrash
Driver School Candidate

Default Finished

So I finished the project and it took much longer than expected although I dont always have the time to devote to it. I ended up with an amazing sound system and very pleased with it overall. As a special note I ended up not using any of the stock wiring as it was just too much of a pain to track down exactly which wire and the gauge left me wondering how well it would handle that power long term so I did it all myself. I decided to remove all the stock amps under the driver seat so really wasnt that much more work. The longest part was just finding a good pathway to route the battery cable to the amps and the custom trim rings for the speakers. Oh and on the back doors I cheated I used the stock mounting but used a dremel to remove the speaker that was in there before upgrading to the Focal upgrades

If anyone knows how to post picts without a dedicated site please let me know and i will be happy to share I tried clicking the attachment but doesnt seem to want to work with my browser or system.