GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Xenon Home Depot HID failure <24 hrs!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-11, 04:11 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Booyah
I dont have a squirrel in mine?
It's a "squirrel spotters". Usually when you park near a wall or garage door, you'll see a rectangular box over the main beam of light.
Old 10-22-11, 11:22 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You ate the squirrel already.
Old 11-03-11, 11:15 AM
Tony59blue
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear bout your problem. I've had mine for 2 months now with nobody flashing me. I have both low and fog hid. Always have them on even during the day time.
Old 01-10-12, 01:28 PM
Lou19
Rookie

I've been running the HID's since October.

I'll admit, after an overreaction to being caught by Johnny law and a sour bulb in the beginning...... I have been very happy with my HID headlights and would not go back.

Having said that, my right front fog light HID bulb failed in 2 1/2 months. I’m not sure if it is covered or not but the failure rate was just as high for halogens in the same housing!

Why can't any bulb seem to survive in the right front fog light housing?

Lou
Old 01-10-12, 02:10 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lou19

I'll admit, after an overreaction to being caught by Johnny law and a sour bulb in the beginning...... I have been very happy with my HID headlights and would not go back.

Having said that, my right front fog light HID bulb failed in 2 1/2 months. I’m not sure if it is covered or not but the failure rate was just as high for halogens in the same housing!

Lou
Maybe there's a problem in the electrical wiring (right front fog light).
Old 01-10-12, 04:00 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i guess some people do drive no faster than the posted speed limit?

i'm enjoying my setup thus far, though admittedly, i haven't swapped the no-brand name bulbs for the philips i bought from XD as a replacement. too lazy.
Old 01-11-12, 07:34 AM
Lou19
Rookie

Originally Posted by ROK
i guess some people do drive no faster than the posted speed limit?

i'm enjoying my setup thus far, though admittedly, i haven't swapped the no-brand name bulbs for the philips i bought from XD as a replacement. too lazy.
I meant getting caught with the HIDs, I actually drive like a maniac...

Do you think the Phillips are made tougher?

The right front catches more water exposure; a more durable bulb may survive longer....
Old 01-11-12, 07:49 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

I'm not concerned about durability. There should no water intrusion into the sealed bulb area.

I want the most lumens with white light. I can't stand anything about the oem 4300K. The philips r the brightest.
Old 01-11-12, 06:29 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lou19

Lou

Contact Steve.
Old 01-21-12, 07:41 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

replaced the non-Philips bulbs with the Philips onces from xenondepot. gotta say the philips bulbs are noticeably brighter than the non-philips bulbs.

make sure you guys get the 4300K Philips kit from XD. it's worth the extra cost.
Old 01-22-12, 01:13 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed some moisture in my drivers side fog, not the passenger. I have the 4300 fogs from Xenon. I took the fog light housing back out and checked for any leaks. None found. As a precautionairy measure, I used a small bead of clear silicone around the two halves of the light housing. The front clear facing is snapped on the rear housing, with possibly some glue at the factory.

It just seems that the 4300 fogs are a hot bulb in a small fog light housing. Much brighter than stock. Would be much, much brighter, if it was for the stock housing.

Last edited by Ancient; 01-22-12 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-22-12, 01:36 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

I never turn on my fogs. I like the low beams to be true hid and these only. I like the clean lighting this provides.
Old 01-29-12, 03:48 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update from my post on Jan 22, above. My very small amount of moisture, was on the drivers side of the fog lights, not the passenger. I stated that I sealed the two halves of the fog light housing, with a very small bead of clear silicone (when I removed that housing).

They are snaped together at the factory, and sealed with what appears to be a small amount of plastic glue. I added amount of clear silicone around where these two parts join, and this did the trick from me.

After two hours of driving in pouring rain at interstate speed, no moisture. As stated, it wasn't a lot of moisture in the housing, it was enouigh to bug me when you look at the clear lense. There are (2) vents at the back of the housing, which should be enough to vent.
Old 02-02-12, 11:30 AM
Lou19
Rookie

I've narrowed down my problem to a bad ballast, I will call Steve. I will seal the housing too, can't hurt. Thx