GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

1st Towing Experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-11, 03:08 PM
empinball
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1st Towing Experience

We towed our Jayco 18F (hybrid) to the Oregon Coast this last week (1376 miles round trip) with our 04 GX and averaged 8.8 mpg. Is this typical mileage for you folks that tow an RV with your GX? Also the Jayco model we own has very little ground clearance and with the weight distributing hitch at the lowest point and the hitch ball tilted as much as possible the trailer was tilted too much to the rear axle since the air suspension wants the GX to be level all the time. Any suggestions out there on how to level out my trailer when towing?
Old 08-22-11, 08:20 AM
sprocket
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get 9.5 to 10.5 towing a 5,000lb boat, but I live in FL where it is flat.
Old 09-01-11, 08:09 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mileage and towing

Originally Posted by empinball
We towed our Jayco 18F (hybrid) to the Oregon Coast this last week (1376 miles round trip) with our 04 GX and averaged 8.8 mpg. Is this typical mileage for you folks that tow an RV with your GX? Also the Jayco model we own has very little ground clearance and with the weight distributing hitch at the lowest point and the hitch ball tilted as much as possible the trailer was tilted too much to the rear axle since the air suspension wants the GX to be level all the time. Any suggestions out there on how to level out my trailer when towing?
Considering I was only getting 13-14mpg without a trailer, I'd say south of 10 is probably expected...will obviously depend on elevation changes as you drive to your destination as well.

I think your only option for tyring to level out your trailer/RV is to find an appropriate drop-down hitch and re-mount your tow ball onto that. Unhitch it set it to level and then back up the GX...use a level/laser level to see if you can measure the difference in the trailer to your GX's hitch - then go tot a trailer supply and find one with the correct drop down. You also indicated that the air suspension is trying to raise it back up and causing it to be out of level - I'd try to weigh your RV trailer at the hitch somehow, and then add that amount of weight to the back of the GX (as far back as you can keep it in cargo area) until the suspension raises - then re-measure the hitch dropdown. That should get you reasonably close.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-01-11, 11:45 AM
tissimo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Speaking of towing, you should tow in 4th right and not in overdrive(D)? I looked briefly in the manual, but only said to do 4th because of engine braking and electrical charging, not for the transmissions sake.
Old 09-01-11, 12:28 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like you need a different step/drop draw bar to level your trailer. I have a couple of different tow vehicles and trailers so there are a number of combinations I need. However, they're all covered w/ this one hitch. Rated at 5000# so overkill on some of my applications. Also, it sticks out ~ 5-6 further than a regular draw bar so you definitely remove when not in use but the great thing is you can adjust the height while everything is hooked up.

Bought it 8-9 years ago and have been pleased w/ it ever since. Not cheap but cheaper than buying a number of different draw bars and *****...

http://www.tooldex.com/product/MA9-2...h-Ball-Mounts/

Shop around for it as I think I only paid ~ $65 for mine.

Last edited by BurgBoxstr; 09-01-11 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-01-11, 06:09 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you could turn off the self leveling suspension by pressing the little button next to the dial...
Old 09-02-11, 09:14 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nope - just manually raises or lowers rear suspension up to 19MPH IIRC. It is great for hooking and unhooking a trailer (along w/ the rear camera).

Old 09-03-11, 04:08 PM
empinball
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
sounds like you need a different step/drop draw bar to level your trailer. I have a couple of different tow vehicles and trailers so there are a number of combinations I need. However, they're all covered w/ this one hitch. Rated at 5000# so overkill on some of my applications. Also, it sticks out ~ 5-6 further than a regular draw bar so you definitely remove when not in use but the great thing is you can adjust the height while everything is hooked up.

Bought it 8-9 years ago and have been pleased w/ it ever since. Not cheap but cheaper than buying a number of different draw bars and *****...

http://www.tooldex.com/product/MA9-2...h-Ball-Mounts/

Shop around for it as I think I only paid ~ $65 for mine.

I don't think that will work because I have a weight distributing hitch that has inserts for round bars. I did find a drop shank that I think will work, but it's $129.
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...e/RP63971.html
Old 09-03-11, 04:09 PM
empinball
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnny Mo
Considering I was only getting 13-14mpg without a trailer, I'd say south of 10 is probably expected...will obviously depend on elevation changes as you drive to your destination as well.

I think your only option for tyring to level out your trailer/RV is to find an appropriate drop-down hitch and re-mount your tow ball onto that. Unhitch it set it to level and then back up the GX...use a level/laser level to see if you can measure the difference in the trailer to your GX's hitch - then go tot a trailer supply and find one with the correct drop down. You also indicated that the air suspension is trying to raise it back up and causing it to be out of level - I'd try to weigh your RV trailer at the hitch somehow, and then add that amount of weight to the back of the GX (as far back as you can keep it in cargo area) until the suspension raises - then re-measure the hitch dropdown. That should get you reasonably close.

Hope that helps.
Excellent idea, trying to pre-load the air suspension
Old 09-04-11, 05:58 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Have towed a Maxima 100 miles+, no issues, loved the auto level feature. Tow around a Big Tex trailer here and there and again, self leveling works great with just a standard hitch. With the Maxima I went 3/4 gear manually up a long steep hill to keep it at 60mph or so. Vehicle does not have have OD, just a 5th gear which is too long for towing a car up a hill but worked fine for the open straight highway.
Old 09-06-11, 08:07 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

I don't have the manual in front of me, but I looked inky truck today, and there is an "Off" button with a picture of a shock on it next to the height adjust button.

If this doesn't turn off the auto-level, then what does it do?
Old 09-07-11, 05:49 AM
empinball
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cdew002
I don't have the manual in front of me, but I looked inky truck today, and there is an "Off" button with a picture of a shock on it next to the height adjust button.

If this doesn't turn off the auto-level, then what does it do?
It only turns it off if you are traveling less than 19 mph. Once you exceed that speed the vehicle will either rise or fall to its original height .
Old 09-07-11, 06:33 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Well that's dumb...

Thanks for the answer though!
Old 09-07-11, 07:23 PM
natecrna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 19.5 ft travel trailer (hybrid) with weight distribution hitch. I was wanting to buy a GX as my tow vehicle. After reading this thread I am conflicted. Does anyone else tow a trailer with a weight distribution hitch?
Old 09-13-11, 08:21 PM
nbeihl
Driver

This vehicle will tow the crap out of just about anything. I have been towing with the GX for 4 years now, and have pulled 5 different boats, U-Haul trailers, car trailers, utility trailers with 4 ATV's, campers, you name it. It is not as good as my previous F-250, but it is the next best thing. Using a weight distribution hitch will only make things better. I usually get around 11 mpg when towing and 17 when not towing. There are not many hills where I live. I would recommend this vehicle to someone with the need for towing.