GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Substitute for Trailer Wiring Harness 82169-60050?

Old 08-04-11, 12:54 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Substitute for Trailer Wiring Harness 82169-60050?

Was wondering if any has pics of the OEM trailer wairing harness 82169-60050? The reason I ask is because I found an aftermarket piece from etrailer that looks similar and was wondering if I can use it as a subsitute for 82169-60050.

Here's the link to that part on etrailer.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...ady/20137.html

Thanks,

Ken
Old 08-04-11, 09:03 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I bet it will if the Lexus plug end is male

I bought an aftermarket plug, not this brand, and it turned out the plugs were the same gender, they were the same as on the car. So I had to cut them off and hard wire the unit which took if from minutes to hours to complete.

The shape of the plugs look to be the same shape (configuration) as I remember it. I would look under the left rear and see if the two rear plugs are male and the aftermarket plugs are female. If you see, male on car and the picture shows female in the aftermarket plug, I think you have saved some money over the lexus part. and I would go for it.

Did you get the relay located under the hood and the one in the back of the cargo hold.? I believe you may need those if you have certain years. I needed them for my 2006. They are something like $40 apiece. Also, there is a brake controller harness to buy that is under the dash for a brake controller if you are going to use one.
Old 08-05-11, 07:52 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to take look at it after work today. The etrailer posted upclose pics of the plugs so I should be able to determine if their male/female plugs.

I haven't checked if my gx has the relays or not but i do know about the part numbers I'll need.

8198560020 Adapter Relay Box (green)
9098702016 Adapter-Fuse Box Relay (Need 2)

To my knowledge the 909870216 goes in the front engine bay.

I've been trying to track down where the other one goes (8198560020). If you know where that goes and can take a pic, I would much appreciate it.

I don't plan on using a brake controller simply because I haven't ever towed anything before on my truck. I will sometimes in the future tow a small boat. What is the general consensus about when to have a brake controller?

Thanks,

Ken
Old 08-05-11, 06:54 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Here is a post I made a long time ago. I see in my post I said the car had fremale plugs. This may help with the relays. the relay in the rear is behind the left trim panel in the storage area. YOu access it by popping the trim out where it meets the rubber weatherstipping at the left edge of the of the rear storage. The relay is about 6or7 inches above the jack and to the front of the vehicle. YOu have to pop off the the rear edge of the trim panel to see the relay plug. There was only one vacant relay back there. the panel pops away easily. Use a broad based plastic item. If you don't have one try a spatula.

Here is my original post.-----

My 2006 GX470 did not have factory delivered towing components installed. I believe it was because the car had KDSS.

Here is what I ended up buying/installing:

Curt Trailer Hitch CT13445

Relay 90987-0205 $50 installed in engine compartment –Towing Tail Relay

Relay 90986-0205 $50 installed in engine compartment – Battery Chg. Relay

Towing converter
Relay 81985-60021 $30 installed in rear of vehicle behind left rear panel – plug and play

Brake Controller
Harness Trailer Brake Jumper Harness aka Trailer Brake Harness Wire -bought off EBay for $10. Plugs in under dash on drivers side of car to tie in the brake controller. The factory number is 82132-60110. This part is available from Lexus or Toyota and has five wires. When I connected to the Curt controller I only used four wires as the Curt only has four wires.

Note: The Curt controller below that I bought from ramrunner.com on EBay included a harness. This harness has four wires and is the proper plug configuration. I did not use as I had the factory harness. However since the curt controller only has four wires I ended up only using four of the wires of the factory harness and this harness should work. I believe the part number is I-2136P.

Brake Controller Curt I-1725 $60 Brake controller that included harness. A lot of brake controllers will work.

Trailer Plug socket Draw-Tite 20137 $60 This is the plug assembly to plug in the trailer wiring to at the back of the car.

This was the biggest issue for me. The Draw-Tite has the proper shaped plugs to match up to the plugs that were there for the taking in the back of t he car by the spare. The problem is the Draw-Tite has female plugs and the Lexus plugs are also female. I had to cut off the plugs and hard wire. I found the time and effort to be frustrating. Took about two hours, had to remove the spare to get better access, lie on my back and solder the wires together.

I believe Lexus and Toyota have this part and would assume the plugs are males to match with the females on the car currently. I believe it is over $150 dollars, but I don’t know this for sure. It may have been worth it to buy a plug and play. I don’t know the number of the part.

To recap: Trailer Hitch assembly, Two engine compartment relays, One relay in back of car, harness for brake controller, brake controller and rear plug.
The following users liked this post:
semorg (08-27-22)
Old 08-07-11, 05:52 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info Aljodoro! You wouldn't happen to know how to remove the back panel where the green relay needs to go?

I did take a look at the wiring beneath the truck and compared it to the harness that etrailer is selling. From what I can tell it looks like the square plugs are opposites so that should just be plug-n-play however the flat are both male connectors. I've decided to buy it and will just splice the flat plug since its only 3 wires.

I'll add to Smitty's write up to help anyone else looking to do the same.

Ken
Old 08-08-11, 01:01 PM
kalcris
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can take a picture of the one that came with my 08.
Old 08-08-11, 10:30 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Default I'll try to describe how to take the panel off

It is so easy to pop the rear edge of the panel out enough to see in and locate the relay socket. The rear panel we are needing to pop out is the one on the left rear inside of the vehicle. It is the same panel that includes the jack access panel. Just go to the rear edge of the panel where it meets the rubber weather stripping for the rear hatch lid. Push between the rear panel and the weather stripping a flat pry tool. A stiff putty knife would work or one the plastic panel tools you can buy. I have used both. I would not use a screw driver as you want to spread the force along the plastic panel edge.

Pry the panel away from weatherstripping. The plastic panel will pop away as the plastic panel rivets pop out of the metal recepticle in the panel. Pop it out enough so you can look in and see the socket. When done pop the panel back on with the palm of your hand hitting the location of the panel rivets. The lexus is so easy to work on. Panel pop off and pop back on and off with such ease. Pop off and back on. (PS, if you have a cargo cover I believe you may need to remove the clips that hold the hatch cover when it cover the cargo area - I just don't remember and i am on a business trip so I can look at the car). Getting into the panel is really easy. Pry it out enough, take a flash light and locate the retaining pins/platic rivets and pry them out. The will snap out and snap in when you are done.
Old 08-09-11, 06:09 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kalcris
I can take a picture of the one that came with my 08.
That would be really helpful for me and those who will need to do this in the future. If you can take a picture of both ends i.e. the wireness harness its self and where you would plug into underneath the truck.

Thank you Sir!
Old 08-09-11, 01:00 PM
kalcris
Rookie

I'll work on getting underneath my truck, do you need the plugs disconnected to see the connections?
Old 08-10-11, 07:45 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kalcris
I'll work on getting underneath my truck, do you need the plugs disconnected to see the connections?
If you can that would be ideal. I work in Braintree so if you need any help or perfer that I do it, I can meet up with you after work.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 08-10-11, 04:41 PM
kalcris
Rookie

sent you a PM
Old 01-02-18, 02:32 PM
dahoseman
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

resurrecting this from the dead......
I have a 2004 GX470 with KDSS and without factory towing. The previous owner installed a Curt hitch and has a "spliced" in wiring harness that seems to have corroded over and isn't functional. I want to replace it and hook one in correctly.

I'm a little confused on what parts I will need because it looks like certain old parts are essentially not available and new parts have emerged. If I get this:
Hopkins Multi-Tow 7-Way Blade and 4-Way Flat Trailer Connector w/ Mounting Bracket - Toyota Item # HM43374
Then do I still need some sort of pig tale that connects from left/right tail lights?
Do I need the Towing Tail Relay (90987-0205) and Battery Chg. Relay (90986-0205) as well?

I've never seen such a convoluted installation of a trailer hitch relay before. I'm a little unclear on how many different pieces I need to actually buy to get set up.
Old 01-02-18, 03:43 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

If the factory parts aren't available anymore, try looking on sites like etrailer.com -- you want trailer wiring adapters.
They won't be as good as factory, but they'll last a few years.

Chip H.
The following users liked this post:
dahoseman (01-02-18)
Old 01-02-18, 05:10 PM
dahoseman
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks.
I have already ordered this adapter from etrailer:
Hopkins #HM43374 - Multi-Tow 7-Way Blade and 4-Way Flat Trailer Connector w/ Mounting Bracket - Toyota Item

"CONFIRMED TO FIT 2004 Lexus GX 470"

If I am just pulling a simple 4-pin trailer without trailer brakes, will that suffice? Or do I need more adapters and pig-tails?
Old 01-09-18, 08:44 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dahoseman
Thanks.
I have already ordered this adapter from etrailer:
Hopkins #HM43374 - Multi-Tow 7-Way Blade and 4-Way Flat Trailer Connector w/ Mounting Bracket - Toyota Item

"CONFIRMED TO FIT 2004 Lexus GX 470"

If I am just pulling a simple 4-pin trailer without trailer brakes, will that suffice? Or do I need more adapters and pig-tails?

I'm looking in to buying this Hopkins wiring harness. Was it plug and play?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Substitute for Trailer Wiring Harness 82169-60050?