GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New '08 GX Owner with questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 07:14 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
Default New '08 GX Owner with questions

I recently purchased a super clean CPO '08 GX470 with 38K miles and want to add some options which are not on the car currently.

1) I want to add XM Satellite functionality. The ML system does have the AM/Sat button but when I push the button (multiple times), it just stays AM and never goes into a 'Sat' mode. I assume I am missing some factory components to run XM unless a lockpick will 'open' the functionality? If I need to get missing components, what do I need to get and where can I get it for a decent price?

2) I want to get replacement head rest DVD screens. Any opinion on the Chameleon 7" LED-LCD with built in DVD (model#CLD-700X ). Does anyone know if the tan cover matches the tan color of the GX interior?

Thanks in advance for any information or help.
Old 07-07-11, 08:24 PM
N305AS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be curious to know what the cost of those DVD headrests are as well. About 8-9 months ago Scottsdale Lexus was closing them out for about $800 for the pair, but they're long gone now.
Old 07-07-11, 08:34 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by N305AS
I'd be curious to know what the cost of those DVD headrests are as well. About 8-9 months ago Scottsdale Lexus was closing them out for about $800 for the pair, but they're long gone now.
I find them for around $160 each.
Old 07-08-11, 03:42 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
I recently purchased a super clean CPO '08 GX470 with 38K miles and want to add some options which are not on the car currently.

1) I want to add XM Satellite functionality. The ML system does have the AM/Sat button but when I push the button (multiple times), it just stays AM and never goes into a 'Sat' mode. I assume I am missing some factory components to run XM unless a lockpick will 'open' the functionality? If I need to get missing components, what do I need to get and where can I get it for a decent price?

2) I want to get replacement head rest DVD screens. Any opinion on the Chameleon 7" LED-LCD with built in DVD (model#CLD-700X ). Does anyone know if the tan cover matches the tan color of the GX interior?

Thanks in advance for any information or help.
If you currently don't have Satellite Radio, why would the ML system go into "Sat" mode? Most system "operate" when the necessary accessories are plugged in?
Old 07-08-11, 06:46 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll need a sat radio tuner. Lexus sells one, as does Vaistech. My Lexus salesman said the Lexus version was quite a bit more $ than getting the Vais system from a car audio install place down the street. Lots of Lexus owners have a Vais system - its seamless integration into the nav screen makes it feel factory.

As for a rear screen DVD / rear head rest DVD, consider an iPad. Cheaper. Portable. Arguably cooler.

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 07-09-11 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-08-11, 07:02 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
You'll need a sat radio tuner. Lexus sells one, as does Vaistech. My Lexus salesman said the Lexus version was quit a bit more $ than getting the Vais system from a car audio install place down the street. Lots of Lexus owners have a Vaisya system - it's seamless integration into the nav screen makes it feel factory.

As for a rear screen DVD / rear head rest DVD, consider an iPad. Cheaper. Portable. Arguably cooler.
Is there a car mount for the iPad?
Old 07-08-11, 09:15 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find them for around $160 each.
That's an awesome price. Where did you find them and what brand?
Old 07-08-11, 09:25 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by snhrph
That's an awesome price. Where did you find them and what brand?
Best Buy is blowing out the Chameleon 7" units.
Old 07-09-11, 08:08 AM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best Buy is blowing out the Chameleon 7" units.
I'm not familiar with this brand at all, but the price is right...

How long have you had them? Post your feedback.
Old 07-09-11, 08:09 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by snhrph
I'm not familiar with this brand at all, but the price is right...

How long have you had them? Post your feedback.
I went to go pick them up but they are out of stock at all the local Best Buy stores around me. So the search continues.

Does anyone know about the XTRONS brand of DVD headrest? If so, I am looking at their tan units and wonder how close the color/sheen/grain match is. If it is relatively close, I can deal with it. If it is a whole different shade...well....
Old 07-10-11, 09:58 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by redrocks
If you currently don't have Satellite Radio, why would the ML system go into "Sat" mode? Most system "operate" when the necessary accessories are plugged in?
There is a 'Sat' button but the radio never goes into Sat mode. I assume it is because there is no satellite module.
Old 07-10-11, 10:08 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

You'll need a sat radio tuner. Lexus sells one, as does Vaistech. My Lexus salesman said the Lexus version was quite a bit more $ than getting the Vais system from a car audio install place down the street. Lots of Lexus owners have a Vais system - its seamless integration into the nav screen makes it feel factory.

Thanks for the info. Wow, even the Vais ones are pricey. I guess it is cheaper than the $8K my friends mother in law paid to get XM in her Bentley.

Regarding the iPad, it did cross my mind but I want the simplicity of just popping a DVD in rather than having to encode a DVD if the kids wanted to watch it. Also, needing two iPads will cost a cool $1200.00 or so. Getting a cheap set like the XTRONS would be less than $300.00 for two, I am just not sure how close the material will match the factory seat leather.
Old 07-10-11, 10:13 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Buy cheaper refurb iPads? Maybe consider even iPad1 models?

And your kiddie can take them into the restaurant, hotel, grandma's house, etc.

Are you including install costs in your comparison?
Old 07-11-11, 08:08 AM
GXM35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good call! We priced headrest DVD systems and the ones we wanted were $1200 and higher. We ended up getting another iPad (we already had one) and both kids were happy for much less$. To boot, me and the Mrs. don't fight over who gets the iPad.
Old 07-13-11, 02:47 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Buy cheaper refurb iPads? Maybe consider even iPad1 models?

And your kiddie can take them into the restaurant, hotel, grandma's house, etc.

Are you including install costs in your comparison?
IPads are a growing thought for me. I may do that.

For Lexus, is the 'ivory' colored interior considered the tan or gray interior?

Quick Reply: New '08 GX Owner with questions