GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HID Kit Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-11, 07:26 AM
waikai79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Kit Conversion

Anyone have instructions or pictures on how to do a HID conversion on the headlights and fog lights?
Old 06-09-11, 08:57 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use the "Search" and you'll find everything you need.
Old 06-09-11, 01:50 PM
skim07
Driver

Originally Posted by waikai79
Anyone have instructions or pictures on how to do a HID conversion on the headlights and fog lights?
For low beam HID, I used the link below when installing HID on my wife's GX. Hope this helps.

Fog lights are rather easy but you have to crawl under the front bumper. Finding a place to mount the ballast is the difficult part but I think you'll find a space on top of the fog light housing to be sufficient. Just use double sided tape and anchor the ballast down well with zip ties or something stronger.
I'm running the HID fog with no relay or power cable from the battery. Just ballast in between the bulb and OEM fog light socket.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...diy-guide.html
Old 06-10-11, 08:22 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Take a look at this: Lexus HID Kit Installation Pictures
Old 06-13-11, 12:02 AM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skim07
Fog lights are rather easy but you have to crawl under the front bumper. Finding a place to mount the ballast is the difficult part but I think you'll find a space on top of the fog light housing to be sufficient. Just use double sided tape and anchor the ballast down well with zip ties or something stronger.
I'm running the HID fog with no relay or power cable from the battery. Just ballast in between the bulb and OEM fog light socket.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...diy-guide.html
I had my lowbeams done by a shop when I bought the car. I actually did my fogs yesterday myself as I didn't want to spend money on instalation. As skim07 said, you will have to get under the car. The foglight housing is held by a single bolt that has an easy access, also you have to squeeze a clip on the other side to remove the foglamp. this way its much easier to do the install. As far as balast location: my ballast came with a bracket on it that had a hole for bolting it on. (most of them do). So when reinserting the foglight, I tightened the ballast by the same bolt that holds the light itself. I used a relay, but I guess its not needed.
Old 06-15-11, 07:07 PM
waikai79
Driver School Candidate

How did you get the OEM bulb out of the fog lights? It's not the usual unplug and turn like the low beams..How do you remove the bulb from the foglamp housing? Do you have to remove complete housing to convert to the HID bulb?
Old 06-15-11, 10:56 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't have to, but you should remove the housing. This will make things way, way easier. After unplugging the wire plug, turn the cap ( the round part that had the plug going in to) it will expose the bulb that is held by a metal clip. You really have to see how its locked in place to take the bulb out or put a new one in. This is the reason why you should take the whole housing out before you do anything. Unclip the bulb and wires going to the inside of the round cap. Depending on a kit that you bought you may want to drill a hole in the cap to pass the wires that are going to HID bulb. Just make sure you put some sealant to prevent moisture from getting in.