GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Is 6 months too long on lot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 12:25 PM
gordie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 6 months too long on lot?

I made an offer for 21K on an '05 GX, fully loaded (even invision DVD) with 82K miles.

It has a detailed service history, but it's been on the dealer's lot since 12/15/10. The test drive seemed fine, but is that too long for a vehicle to sit without regular driving? Obviously the battery could go, anything else to worry about?

Also, I want to ensure they fixed the clunk properly. Do the following service notes indicate the correct fix?

7/05
STEERING WHL/MAIN SHAFT SSC No. ----
STEERING WHL/MAIN SHAFT ~|~REAR END HITS HARD A STOP LIKE REAR ENDED? ~|~SPLINES ON DRIVE SHAFT BINDING ~|~R&R DRIVE SHAFT GRIND,POLISH,CLEAN SPLINES ON SHAFT REINSTAL

10/05
SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN ~|~THUMP OR BUMP FROM BEHIND WHEN STOPPED CUST STATES PLEASE CHECK ~|~BINDING IN DRIVESHAFT ~|~REMOVED DRIVE SHAFT, CLEANED BUFFED AND LAPPED SPLINES
PER RECK ON TECH 483 LAST TIME IN

Seems like the original owner was just making sure the second time around, and there are no other indications of a continuing problem for the next 5 years and 75K miles.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-11, 01:32 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by gordie
I made an offer for 21K on an '05 GX, fully loaded (even invision DVD) with 82K miles.

It has a detailed service history, but it's been on the dealer's lot since 12/15/10. The test drive seemed fine, but is that too long for a vehicle to sit without regular driving? Obviously the battery could go, anything else to worry about?

Also, I want to ensure they fixed the clunk properly. Do the following service notes indicate the correct fix?

7/05
STEERING WHL/MAIN SHAFT SSC No. ----
STEERING WHL/MAIN SHAFT ~|~REAR END HITS HARD A STOP LIKE REAR ENDED? ~|~SPLINES ON DRIVE SHAFT BINDING ~|~R&R DRIVE SHAFT GRIND,POLISH,CLEAN SPLINES ON SHAFT REINSTAL

10/05
SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN ~|~THUMP OR BUMP FROM BEHIND WHEN STOPPED CUST STATES PLEASE CHECK ~|~BINDING IN DRIVESHAFT ~|~REMOVED DRIVE SHAFT, CLEANED BUFFED AND LAPPED SPLINES
PER RECK ON TECH 483 LAST TIME IN

Seems like the original owner was just making sure the second time around, and there are no other indications of a continuing problem for the next 5 years and 75K miles.

Thanks!
The correct and final fix is not on your list. The fixes above are indeed the ones that were available at the time in 2005. However, the final fix, where the driveshaft and rear suspension control arms were replaced came out some time in 2006.
Old 06-01-11, 02:04 PM
gordie
Driver School Candidate

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Do you know if the local Lexus dealer selling the vehicle would still be compensated by Lexus Corporate if they perform the work now, even though the original drivetrain warranty is expired?
Old 06-01-11, 02:09 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by gordie
Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Do you know if the local Lexus dealer selling the vehicle would still be compensated by Lexus Corporate if they perform the work now, even though the original drivetrain warranty is expired?

I don't know for sure how that would be handled. That said, the past history of the problem with that particular truck and the fact that you are trying to buy a vehicle from them should only work in your favor, particularly if they are smart about customer service. If there is the will, there is the way... I would most certainly push to have that done. It is well documented that not a single one of the early "fixes" to the problem fixed the issue.
Old 06-05-11, 04:53 PM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

6 months on the lot is surely in your favor as far as negotiations go. I would not worry one bit about it not being driven for 6 months. Likely they cranked it and washed it regularly to keep it presentable.

Hope you get it, sounds like a great deal.
Old 06-06-11, 07:40 PM
gordie
Driver School Candidate

I did get it, and it did help with negotiations. After some back and forth I got them down to my original offer price of 21K, 20% off asking price, and more importantly cheaper than anything comparable I've seen in the last several months.

This forum as been a big help in researching for this purchase, so thanks to all.