GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

evap core. dash removal. (((CARNAGE PICS!!!)))

Old 06-27-11, 07:13 PM
jbw5485
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RXstate........sorry i'm just now responding. here's some info if you haven't already tackled the job or had it done.

the condensation drain is at the very bottom of the firewall, directly in front/below the front passenger's feet. down between the right side valve cover and inner fender well. if you look up from the bottom of the vehicle its near the exhaust where it turns at a 45 deg angle and goes up towards the manifold. if your evap core is leaking.....you will deff see bright yellow with the black light coming out of the black hose. the condesation/water will glow bright greenish/yellow. you need to literally start looking with the black light as soon as you put the dye in, with the vehicle running and a/c ON.

i'd be more than happy to send you the info. send me a private message with your info. you've also got a private message. sorry i'm just now getting around to responding, didn't get an email notice that there was a response to my thread until today???

-shift ***** need to be taken off.
-then that whole center console needs to be slid backwards away from the dash.
-then the panels around the radio need to be removed.
-remove the a pillar covers that have the airbags behind them. and also the "oh sh.it handles"
-remove the kick panels on both sides
-the black plastic connector locks on the a/c lines under the hood require special tools to unhook.....unless you're good with a tiny metal pick . took me a minute or two.

-there are bolts and nuts in the door jams covered by black plastic gromlets.

-the steering column needs to be dropped, there are 4 nuts under it. 15mm i think.
-remove the cluster (speedo,tach) two screws for the trim around it. then four screws around the cluster, then you'll see some white plastic nuts facing you....unscrew these, they unhook the electrical connectors behind the cluster.
-there will be a smaller bolt behind the cluster that holds the dash panel to the huge brace bar.

-directly under the nav/radio/ac controls there are metal brackets that go down from the dash to the floor above the transmission. they are under the carpet.

-the dash is made in two diff pieces, look back at my pictures, the one with the dash panel cover sitting on the floor beside the fridge comes off. then the huge metal brace bar can just pull back far enough to get the hvac box out.

-don't be afraid to unhook electrical connectors, they won't go back but one way. you can't plug the wrong plug in unless you're retarded and force it and break it. i'm sure i've missed a good bit, but don't hesitate to contact me. you've got my info in a private message. sorry for the wall of words..haha

Last edited by jbw5485; 06-27-11 at 07:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tg9266 (08-01-21)
Old 07-03-11, 03:21 PM
RXstate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can you get an IPOD interface? What does it replace? Our cigarette lighter is a waste since we don't smoke - I'd love to replace it with something functional!
Old 07-03-11, 04:05 PM
RXstate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How tough is it to get this blower motor out to get to the expansion valve and evaporator? I think I've got all the appropriate screws out (see my "garage" photo - that's where I am right now). I'm trying to decide whether to make the "cut" according to the pdf post in my other thread or take the longer "take the entire dash out" path. To bad there's not a "poll" on ClubLexus so we can take a vote.

-Bill
Old 08-27-16, 07:26 PM
kwkshift
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello, all!

I know this is an old thread, but I'm in the middle of replacing the evaporator in my 2008, right now. It is no fun, for those that are wondering....

Anyway, I have the hvac box loose, sitting there, but not removed. I can't figure out how to remove the evaporator from the box. It looks like the box is one giant piece, with no seams. What am I missing?

Do the heater core lines have to be disconnected since the heater core is also in the box?

Thanks a ton for the guidance.

Last edited by kwkshift; 08-27-16 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-01-16, 09:18 AM
kwkshift
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I finally got this finished. It was a major job. Here's a copy of my writeup from another forum. Hopefully this can add some details and help others in the future:

To start off, changing the evaporator and the heater core are the same job, and it's a big one. This isn't for the faint-of-heart. If your GX/ 4Runner isn't your daily driver, you have a few days, you're mechanically inclined, you could do it. I now see why shops charge $1000 or more for this job....

You will have to evacuate the AC and drain the coolant from the radiator. You'll have to disconnect the heater core lines at the firewall, just above the DS valve cover. Disconnect the battery, too, obviously.

I bought an interior trim kit tool set from NAPA for $16. It makes interior panel removal very easy without boogering them up with nicks and scratches. The other tools needed are 10mm socket, 12mm socket, 14mm socket, phillips screwdriver, 12mm racheting box end wrench, and a 4mm allen wrench.

As far as interior panels that need to be removed:

(I laid the pieces out in the order removed on my bench so I knew what order they needed to go back on.)

Center console. The rear part that has the storage and rear hvac controls can slide back a few inches.
The shift ***** unscrew. But, the gear shifter **** has a chrome trim clip at the base that you'll need to unclip using a trim tool. There is a zipper for the ebrake handle.
All surrounding trim panels of the center console.
Stereo system head unit.
Both AC duct panels that flank the stereo.
Glove box and surrounding trim panels
Left and right ac ducts
Wood trim panels in the middle of the dash
Lower dash below the steering wheel
A Pillar covers, held on by the oh-$ hit handles. *If your windshield guy was lazy and didn't remove these covers when installing your new windshield, there will probably be windshield sealant oozed onto the fabric, requiring you to cut them free and repair the cloth!* Take your time and trim the fabric with a razor. You can stretch the fabric and reglue it if you don't rip it to shreds.
Rocker trims and kick panels.
Gauge cluster. There are 2 tiny clips on top of the gauge bezel that get removed. The bezel then just pulls out. You can only do this after the DS lower dash it removed. The gauge cluster is held in place with (4) 10mm screws. You'll also see 2 white nylon 10mm screws at the top of the cluster that hold the wiring connectors in place to the back of the cluster. Unscrew those and gently remove the cluster.
The entire dash after all that. It's very heavy on the PS due to the gigantic airbag on that side.
Along the way of removing the console, stereo, etc. you'll be disconnecting a lot of connectors. Take your time and don't break them!

Lower the steering column using the 14mm socket. There are 4 nuts that hold it in place. Once it's dropped, you can move it around easily.

Below the dash you see Space-Shuttle level wiring and a huge steel bar that is the main support that everything mounts to. All of the connectors are unique, so you can't cross-connect anything. You'll also see 4 black plastic air ducts that feed the dash ducts. They just unclip and also have a couple screws that hold them in place.

There is a plug in the PS A-Pillar for the airbag. Disconnect that. You'll have to unhook that bar (it's mounted on locating pins) and swing that bar out on the PS. So, the bar will be at a diagonal like the picture in that Lexus Forums link I posted.

That steel bar will need to have the bolts removed from the outside of the body, below the A-pillars. There are 4 black body grommets that once removed, you can get a 12mm socket into. There are also 2 vertical bars welded to it on either side of where the stereo sits, that go down to the floor. There you'll see 2 nuts on studs that you'll have to remove. There is also one bolt directly behind where the instrument cluster was that attaches the bar to the firewall. Remove that. Once all the bolts and 2 nuts are removed, you can unhook it from the locator pins and swing it out of the way. Get a helper, it's heavy. Be gentle. The main wiring harness is attached to the bar and you don't want to mess up any of the wires. When you sit the bar aside, make sure that those 2 vertical spars aren't resting on any wiring on the tunnel, as well.

Use the 4mm allen wrench to remove the AC lines from the expansion valve you'll see located on the PS of the HVAC box, at the top. Once everything is moved out far enough and you have removed the blower motor portion off the HVAC box, you can remove the box, put it on the bench and open it up to swap the core(s).

The 2 cores sit about 3" from one another in the HVAC box. The heater core lines enter the cab from the DS and the evap core lines enter in from the PS. To change either one, or both, the entire HVAC box must be removed. It's quite large, and it must be opened up on a bench to swap the cores.

The HVAC box itself is a bit of a puzzle. It's comprised of 3 sections. 2 outer sections, like clamshells and a thinner, center section. It's held together by about 8 phillips screws right down the center, around the entire perimeter of the box. You'll have to manipulate the vanes in the box in order to separate it and once the core is in, manipulate them all separately, while lining up the vanes themselves so the box all goes back together smoothly. If you remove any of the actuator servos, make sure you place the vanes back on the actuator tracks properly.

At this point, you'll want to take your time and start reassembling the truck in the opposite order. Check, double-check and triple check all the connectors and wires.

I ran into trouble at some point and had problems upon startup. The truck started and ran, allowing me to refill and burp the cooling system. But, the gauges didn't work. The cluster lit up, and had all sorts of error lights on it illuminated. My center diff was also locked so I couldn't drive it. I had it towed to the dealership since I had 3 1/2 days into this project so far and I couldn't do any more.

They found that the one connector under the center console that I couldn't find a mate for was responsible for the center diff being locked. The gauge problem was attributed to one of the large connectors behind the stereo had gotten pulled slightly, pulling some pins enough so that the gauge cluster wasn't receiving signals. Luckily, the tech found it in a few hours.

They also evacuated and recharged the AC. The total bill wasn't too bad and was well worth it to me to have them finish the job. They also gave me a new RX350 as a loaner for the day!

Short story long, looking back, I saved some money by doing it myself. However, absolutely everything has to go right and not one thing can go wrong. I don't know if I'd ever attempt it again. In my opinion, it was hellish. My body is still sore but it's finally over!

Hopefully this helps others in the future and can serve as a cautionary tale! If you have any questions, just ask.
The following 4 users liked this post by kwkshift:
Bigsk8r (08-22-18), FrankT (06-19-22), tg9266 (08-01-21), WhiteGX (10-06-19)
Old 05-11-20, 06:16 AM
Edes300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that this is an old thread but I’m in the process of doing this right now with my 2005 gx470. I’m having trouble removing the white evaporator box it’s attached to the blower how do I disconnect the two? I have already disconnected the heater core hoses and the ac line from the engine bay.

also I can’t seem to get my large bar as far back as you have. I still left the wires connected to the fuse box. Should I disconnect those as well. I greatly appreciate any help or advice. I’m kind of stuck right now.