GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

About to buy a 07 GX470

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 05:00 PM
EF76
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy a 07 GX470

Hi all,

1st time poster here... Please be gentle.

My wife and I are about to buy a lightly used GX470 - 2007, ti metallic, grey leather, 35k miles, loaded... Its not from an authorized Lexus dealer but from a reputable used car dealer. We're taking our first looks and test drive this Saturday. Online photos look amazing and the carfax report is clean.

Are there certain things I should be aware of interms of typical issues these trucks have? I'm super excited about buying this truck and I know the emotion of seeing it in person will most likely cloud my better judgement. It would be great to have a "punch list" of things I should be specifically looking for. Any help or advice is appreciated!!
Old 05-11-11, 07:29 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

see if you can check service history to determine if the clunk fix for the drive shaft has been done. I have an '07 with 82,000 flawless miles on it. It's a great truck....
Old 05-12-11, 03:30 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GX is an awesome truck, you will fall in love on-sight, and your emotions will cloud your better judgement.

Look for the obvious - does the truck actually look like it only has 35k on the clock? Tire wear, brake pads (should be original), amount of wear on the brake pedal and driver's seat, etc...

Unlikely that you will be able to see service history since you are not buying from Lexus dealer, unless all service receipts are present. But, don't take the lack of service records as a negative... Some of us perform our own routine maintenance or use local trusted mechanics instead of stealerships.

Carfax is NOT 100% reliable, some accidents do not show up on the report. Again, a careful inspection is very important. Look at parts alignment and gaps. Look at paint from different angles, etc...

You said that its a reputable used car dealer - ask to have the truck inspected by an independent mechanic or take it to a Lexus dealer. Stealer is a more expensive option, but they may give you a more comprehensive report.

Good luck on Sat.
Old 05-12-11, 07:38 PM
EF76
Driver School Candidate

thanks fellas... appreciate the help very much. hoping for the best!
Old 05-12-11, 07:50 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

make sure the srs is working properly, there is a TSB for the GX on srs, but in all it's under warranty anyways, just rather if it's not functional, have the used car dealer get it fixed before buying it so you don't have to waste your time at a lexus dealer getting it fixed even though they'd give a sweet lexus loaner vehice
Old 05-14-11, 04:41 PM
montclaire
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a great car and we love it so much that a couple months ago we shipped it from Florida to CARTAGENA-Colombia- South America to start a long driving trip around all this beatifull region.
Old 05-14-11, 05:26 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by montclaire
It's a great car and we love it so much that a couple months ago we shipped it from Florida to CARTAGENA-Colombia- South America to start a long driving trip around all this beatifull region.
glad you like it, alot of customers complain that the newer GX's drive and feel more like the LX being bulker compared to the older GX
Old 05-15-11, 11:37 AM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the.wong.k
glad you like it, alot of customers complain that the newer GX's drive and feel more like the LX being bulker compared to the older GX
interesting observation. i was actually thinking about this last night. i drove over to a friends place and passed the lexus dealer. they had several 460s out front and i couldn't help but notice the size. that is one thing i love about my 470, it is so nimble. fits nicely in our tandem garage with my fiances TL, easy to park, shockingly easy to turn around on a tight street, etc.

not sure i would be happy with a lot more size.
Old 05-15-11, 01:15 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

the turning radius definitely got worse with the size
Old 05-16-11, 06:39 AM
EF76
Driver School Candidate

truck was in really great shape... the previous owner must have baby'd it or barely drove it, because the leather was barely creased and it ran like a top. Test drove it to see for the drive shaft clunk, but I truly could not find a flaw. Tires, brake pads, rotors, all looked cherry... Thanks alot for the advice fellas. I pick her up Wednesday. Really appreciate the insight. Cheers!
Old 05-18-11, 09:42 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

good luck with your new GX
Old 05-23-11, 08:58 AM
EF76
Driver School Candidate

Thaks very much Lex4me!

Jugdish, can you let me know more about the drive shaft clunk? So far the truck is incredible, but I want to be sure I didnt miss anything. Thanks in advance!!
Old 05-23-11, 01:01 PM
nathanoj
Driver School Candidate

i've got an 03 GX loaded for over 120K miles now and counting.... no major problems yet and we're still enjoying an awesome ride. This has been constantly in Lexus dealership for its required maintenance. We look forward to riding this for the next 5 years more. That's how we're comfortable with it.
Old 05-24-11, 09:58 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

I had mine for 3 years now no problems so far. I am very confident in Lexus quality. As far as drive shaft you will feel it, when you come to the full stop you feel like somebody just rear ended you.
Old 06-20-11, 09:08 PM
DL4EVER
Driver School Candidate

Just purchased an 07 last Friday with 78,000 miles! Runs great, although i just brought it back today to get that clunk fixed

Quick Reply: About to buy a 07 GX470