GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Calling it quits

Old 04-07-14, 01:37 PM
Fluid
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rainmn
Well, I'm back in a GX. Went to check it out today and came home with it.
Pics? Info? That sounded like a very, very low mile GX ... interested in your impressions vs. your past '03.
Old 04-07-14, 02:06 PM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fluid
Pics? Info? That sounded like a very, very low mile GX ... interested in your impressions vs. your past '03.
No pics yet, but it's Blizzard Pearl with gray interior.

Hard to compare to my '03, since it's been about 4 years since I owned that one. The one thing I can say for sure is that I like the color combo much better. (The '03 was Silver Pine w/ beige) Should be a lot easier to keep this interior clean. The nav is also better, and it's nice that it has bluetooth and a backup camera...both of which the '03 did not have.

It's certainly not as advanced as the MDX was with the electronics, but my wife never used 1/2 of what the Acura had anyway.

The condition is exactly what you'd expect for a 21,000 mile vehicle, even though it's over 6 years old. I've looked at plenty of low mileage vehicles that were still beat up....this was not one of them. The front passenger seat still had the "Genuine Lexus Leather" tag on the headrest, and the door sills all still had the protective plastic over the Lexus logos.

The dealer was over 2 hours from me, and I'm glad I put a deposit on it earlier in the week over the phone. When we got there on Saturday, three other people were checking it out at the same time we were. I'd bet it would have sold to someone else that day had we not taken it. That said, there were also 2 or 3 people checking out our MDX before I even got all my stuff out of it.
Old 04-30-14, 05:28 PM
dkhighperf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I get your decision.

I just purchased my 07 GX but I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Range Rover Sport. Sometime buying a vehicle is not always rational. The interiors of the newer LR/RR is first rate and like you said, you leased it so your protected for a period of time.

Hope it all works out for ya,

DK
Old 05-05-14, 11:17 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rainmn
No pics yet, but it's Blizzard Pearl with gray interior.

Hard to compare to my '03, since it's been about 4 years since I owned that one. The one thing I can say for sure is that I like the color combo much better. (The '03 was Silver Pine w/ beige) Should be a lot easier to keep this interior clean. The nav is also better, and it's nice that it has bluetooth and a backup camera...both of which the '03 did not have.

It's certainly not as advanced as the MDX was with the electronics, but my wife never used 1/2 of what the Acura had anyway.

The condition is exactly what you'd expect for a 21,000 mile vehicle, even though it's over 6 years old. I've looked at plenty of low mileage vehicles that were still beat up....this was not one of them. The front passenger seat still had the "Genuine Lexus Leather" tag on the headrest, and the door sills all still had the protective plastic over the Lexus logos.

The dealer was over 2 hours from me, and I'm glad I put a deposit on it earlier in the week over the phone. When we got there on Saturday, three other people were checking it out at the same time we were. I'd bet it would have sold to someone else that day had we not taken it. That said, there were also 2 or 3 people checking out our MDX before I even got all my stuff out of it.
Good luck with the new GX, funny thing was I was seriously considering driving from Mass to NJ for the free corroded wheels, haha. I wanted the hyper silver ones and figured it was my chance to refinish them.
Old 05-05-14, 12:54 PM
rainmn
Driver

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Good luck with the new GX, funny thing was I was seriously considering driving from Mass to NJ for the free corroded wheels, haha. I wanted the hyper silver ones and figured it was my chance to refinish them.
Thanks! I always liked the hyper silver wheels as well....now I have them. Let's hope these last longer than the others did before they start to bubble.
Old 08-07-15, 09:04 AM
rainmn
Driver

Well, that was short lived......

Just got the word today that our GX is totaled. This sucks, considering what I went through last year to find my wife a 21,000 mile GX470....which only has 33k on it right now. To make it worse, I just put a new set of Michelins on it, literally days before the accident. They probably have 100 miles on them.

Starting the search for a replacement now, but after going through the LR4 and MDX in between GX #1 and # 2, I already know this is going to be a pain.

I did already find another low mile GX470 within a reasonable distance, just in case. Not 21,000 miles low, but low enough to consider.
Old 08-07-15, 11:01 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

The wife is ok, I hope?

Talk to the insurance agent about the tires - they may allow you to swap them for the replacement GX.

Chip H.
Old 08-09-15, 05:57 PM
rainmn
Driver

Yes, the wife and kids are all ok - thanks for asking.

As for the tires, they were included in the payoff from the insurance co., which to be honest, was more than I was expecting.

It's not looking like a 3rd GX is going to be in the cards for us. The lowest mile example I could find within a reasonable distance was one with 49k. Went to look at it today, and it was in good shape, just not as good as I had hoped for.

Seems like it's time to try something else again, and it's likely to be an X5. We drove one the other night and we both really liked it. (Not that my opinion matters all that much.) Now to find the right one.
Old 08-10-15, 12:19 PM
gxrunner
Driver School Candidate

good luck on your new search!

Do you mind sharing how much you paid for your second GX? I may be in the market for a new one as my current one may need heavy repair
Old 08-10-15, 12:35 PM
rainmn
Driver

Originally Posted by gxrunner
good luck on your new search!

Do you mind sharing how much you paid for your second GX? I may be in the market for a new one as my current one may need heavy repair
I paid right around $30k for it. This was 16 months ago, and the truck had 21,000 miles at the time.

That was price was a little high, but I didn't care. There was no way I was going to find a comparable GX470 at any price. (Which I am proving right now with my latest search)

Going to look at another X5 tonight. Crossing my fingers that this is the one, since I'm getting sick of driving over an hour each way to dealers every day.
Old 08-11-15, 01:22 PM
rainmn
Driver

Dealer just accepted my offer on an X5, so it looks like a done deal. Picking it up later this week.

It's a 2011, CPO, fully loaded. I have to say, I'm going to miss looking at that cassette deck.
Old 08-11-15, 01:26 PM
gxrunner
Driver School Candidate

21k at $30 is a mad steal.

Congrats on the X5. It's always a good feeling when the fleet is getting an update