GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Do I need to replace the rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-11, 05:57 PM
mansito
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do I need to replace the rotors?

At 83K miles there is ~3mm left on the factory front brake pads on my wife's 05 GX470. The truck brakes smoothly, that is, there is no pulsation on the brake pedal when the brakes are applied. I am planning to replace the front and rear brake pads this coming weekend.

Is it OK to just replace the pads using the existing rotors? If there was pulsation I would definitely replace the rotors.
Old 04-03-11, 07:10 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

If they can be resurfaced and still have enough thickness,why replace them?
Old 04-04-11, 04:21 AM
mansito
Rookie

I do not want to resurface/cut the rotors because, base on all the comments I've read on this forum, they will warp quickly. If I have to cut them, I may as well get new rotors.

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Old 04-04-11, 04:39 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Measure for thickness if they are within the acceptable tolerances and there are no other signs of physical deformity, old pads wore evenly, no pulsing etc no need to resurface or replace the rotors. Just make sure to bed the new pads in properly, which will also help to remove any glazing on the rotor surface.

Last edited by cssnms; 04-04-11 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-04-11, 08:54 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by mansito
I do not want to resurface/cut the rotors because, base on all the comments I've read on this forum, they will warp quickly. If I have to cut them, I may as well get new rotors.
well that may be what the posts say, i replaced front pads at 25, 50, 75 and 107K, the rotors were resurfaced the first three times and just replaced at 107,000. I had no problem the first three times, no vibration at high speed braking. so...your call, rotors aren't that much anyhow.
Old 04-04-11, 03:57 PM
mansito
Rookie

Thank you guys.
Old 04-10-11, 08:05 AM
MWalker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can one purchase, and how much should a set of front rotors run?
Old 04-10-11, 08:09 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MWalker
Where can one purchase, and how much should a set of front rotors run?
OEM rotors can be purchased from a Toyota dealer for considerably less, they are the same rotor found on the Toyota 4-Runner V-8. Also try Sewell http://www.sewellparts.com/

I have not had favorable experiences with aftermarket rotors to include Brembo blanks and PowerSlot Cryo rotors.
Old 04-10-11, 12:16 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 83K miles there is ~3mm left on the factory front brake pads on my wife's 05 GX470. The truck brakes smoothly, that is, there is no pulsation on the brake pedal when the brakes are applied. I am planning to replace the front and rear brake pads this coming weekend.

Is it OK to just replace the pads using the existing rotors? If there was pulsation I would definitely replace the rotors.
It is perfectly OK to replace the pads WITHOUT resurfacing or replacing rotors. Based on your description, there were no problems with brakes, so just replace the pads. As the old saying goes: "Don't fix it if it ain't broke".

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Why resurface the perfectly fine rotors? No pulsation = no rotor warping...

Originally Posted by cssnms
Measure for thickness if they are within the acceptable tolerances and there are no other signs of physical deformity, old pads wore evenly, no pulsing etc no need to resurface or replace the rotors. Just make sure to bed the new pads in properly, which will also help to remove any glazing on the rotor surface.
Completely agree.

You'll be surprised how good the brakes are on your GX with proper bedding the new pads.
Old 04-11-11, 04:00 AM
mansito
Rookie

Or just go to Autozone. Their parts have lifetime warranty. If the rotors warp, you bring them back and they will replace them. Make sure you save your receipt.

Originally Posted by cssnms
OEM rotors can be purchased from a Toyota dealer for considerably less, they are the same rotor found on the Toyota 4-Runner V-8. Also try Sewell http://www.sewellparts.com/

I have not had favorable experiences with aftermarket rotors to include Brembo blanks and PowerSlot Cryo rotors.

Last edited by mansito; 04-18-11 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-11-11, 04:35 AM
mansito
Rookie

Replaced the brakes during the weekend. Found a frozen piston on the driver sider front caliper. Used Autozone Cmax pads (front + rear) and Autozone caliper. The work of replacing the pads + caliper if very straight forward. After the pads were installed, I followed the process for bedding the pads. Everything works very nice. Braking is good + no pulsation or pulling.
Old 04-14-11, 07:28 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Replaced the brakes during the weekend. Found a frozen piston on the driver sider front caliper. Used Autozone Cmax pads (front + rear) and Autozone caliper. The work of replacing the pads + caliper if very straight forward. After the pads were installed, I followed the process for bedding the pads. Everything works very nice. Braking is good + no pulsation or pulling.
I used the Cmax pads with drilled/slotted rotors. They seem much better however not sure if I need to "bed" them in. If Im not mistaking I believe its like hard stops from 60mph-5mph 6-8 times twice....Does this sound about right? any mechanics out there in favor or opposed to the "bed" in process. Ive never done this before in the past and never had a problem. Also with drilled/slotted is it required? Sorry- not trying to hijack the thread just curious.
Old 04-14-11, 07:33 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
I used the Cmax pads with drilled/slotted rotors. They seem much better however not sure if I need to "bed" them in. If Im not mistaking I believe its like hard stops from 60mph-5mph 6-8 times twice....Does this sound about right? any mechanics out there in favor or opposed to the "bed" in process. Ive never done this before in the past and never had a problem. Also with drilled/slotted is it required? Sorry- not trying to hijack the thread just curious.
This was discussed at length in several threads on this forum, try searching...

Link below will outline the process for you:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Old 04-14-11, 07:38 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by snhrph
This was discussed at length in several threads on this forum, try searching...

Link below will outline the process for you:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
I have read that article. My question is does having drilled/slotted change the dynamics of the bedding in process or does it apply to drilled/slotted as well?
Old 04-15-11, 08:13 AM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
I have read that article. My question is does having drilled/slotted change the dynamics of the bedding in process or does it apply to drilled/slotted as well?
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...formance.shtml