GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Synthetic Oil Brand

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-11, 08:42 PM
rbx10
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil Brand

Hey Fellas. what's the best brand name for Synthetic oil everyone is using in their GX.
I heard Mobile 1 synthetic is good but one Lexus Dealer said they use Pennzoil synthetic.
I know each brand has different base stocks, additives, and detergents, and varies in cost. I just want to put the best stuff in my baby.
Also can you use the same kind of oil you put in the engine for the differential ?

I want to do the oil change myself and use OEM filter now that its getting less cold outside.

Thanks a bunch fellas
rbx10
Old 03-31-11, 03:03 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

I use Amsoil. I use their filters too, as well as the mobile 1 filters, both good for 15,000 mile changes. Oil DOES NOT go in differentials or transfer case, GEAR LUBE, VERY DIFFERENT
Old 03-31-11, 04:28 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been using Mobil 1 since I bought it new with OEM filters. Change oil every 5,000 miles. Runs perfect!
Old 03-31-11, 06:42 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engine oil - I switched from Amsoil to German Castrol
Gear lube - I'm sticking with Amsoil
Filter - Toyota 90915-20004

Last edited by ChrisK; 04-05-11 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-31-11, 07:01 AM
rbx10
Driver

Hey cdFab how come you are changing oil at 5k if u are using synthetic?
Thanks
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (09-01-20)
Old 03-31-11, 07:51 AM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have pretty much tried them all in different vehicles and read Bob the oil guy spreadsheets etc way too much. Realistically if you change your oil (normal driving) @ 5k or less about any major synthetic will do great. Yes some are slightly better than others AND some have a better marketing/advertising dept. I have used the following in many vehicles with virtually the same results (listed in order of my "personal" preference).

1. Amsoil
2. Pennzoil Platinum (I will explain in a minute)
3. Mobile One Extended Life
4. Castrol
5. Quaked State, Valvoline, Royal Purple

I have sent oil analysis to Blackstone Labs for the Mobile 1 and Pennzoil Platinum. Results were virtually the same. However, Pennzoil Platinum has always increased mpg for me and resulted in a quieter idle (again this is just my experience, not a fanboy of any oil). I am a little on the OCD side with cars so I do a lot of testing etc. I still prefer Amsoil and Redline products but they are not common around my area and I don't like constantly ordering oils.

I used to drive 45k+ miles a year for my job so I used the Blackstone Lab test to see how far I could SAFELY stretch my oil changes to achieve maximum mileage and protection between oil changes. I had the samples completed on my Volvo at 10k mile tests (hwy miles...no towing) and could have easily gone 12k+ between oil changes with excellent protection (but I only did 10k). It was really cool to compare actual results rather than rely on opinions and fancy marketing for oils. I change the oil on our LEXUS every 6k due to our driving conditions and I use Pennzoil Platinum due to providing virtually the same protection at a slightly lower cost. I also use the prefer using the following in other areas

Redline for differentials
Royal Purple in TC and PS pump
Redline in Transmission

I have used these in most of past 4WD vehicles with great results. Although Aisin Warner transmissions I usually stick with the factory stuff.

Bottom line is that synthetics offer excellent benefits and most are very similar. Use which ever oil you have good results with and easy to obtain in an emergency (low oil, leaks etc.)

Everyone on here has a preference and they are ALL based on good experiences, so no one is wrong or right. I would have never normally used Pennzoil over Mobile in the past based on the long proven history of Mobile one but after testing it multiple times I am very happy with it. Amsoil is simply great stuff but a hassle to obtain for me. I like the simplicity of also using the same oil in all my vehicles when I can (my old jeep engine tolerances still likes Dino oil better due to the age of the sills etc.)

Sorry for the extremely long post. Anyway, good luck and I hope everyone has great luck with whatever oil you feel comfortable with!
CamelKool (09-01-20)
Old 03-31-11, 08:13 AM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Of course if you get the urge you can always read the huge debates on group 3 and group 4 oils. The arguments on hydrocracked and PAO oils will keep you very busy.
Old 03-31-11, 11:12 AM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done Mobil 1 Synthetic, and am using Mobil 1 products for all the user serviceable oils in the GX thus far. No scientific data, but I'm happy so far and so is the vehicle.

Turby
CamelKool (09-01-20)
Old 03-31-11, 09:54 PM
rbx10
Driver

Guys many thanks for all your replies.
EasGX, your post is perfect and not long at all
I think you really put the dynamics of engine oil into perspective for me.

Hey check out what I stumble upon as far as comparison of AMSOIL with other oil. Chances are you may have seen it.

http://www.enhancedsyntheticoil.com/...il_Testing.htm

-rbx10
Old 03-31-11, 11:37 PM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Yes I have seen it before and it gives a good comparison. It is strange (well not really) but if look carefully at most oil comparisons you will find most of the tests are initiated by Amsoil. I can't blame them because it is good advertising AND Amsoil is really good oil.

I decided years ago that I just wanted to know a lot more about oils and did lots of research & testing. At that time I was managing the environmental programs for a major energy company, so I was already reviewing oil analysis for EPA regs among others. Anyway, not to bore you with useless info.....Let's just say I have a tendency to over analyze things by habit.

It is just amazing how formulations have changed over the years, particularly with group 3 & 4 oils. I would suggest doing some research on hydrcracked & PAO oils and you will learn just enough to realize that unless you are building a 100k dollar racing & endurance engine, you will have great results with any of them. For example, 15k mile Mobile 1 extended life offers great protection but are you really going that long on oil? More importantly are you willing to use an oil filter that long? I am just saying <6k mile oil changes of normal driving conditions will yield good results with any good quality synthetic.

Oil analysis is a very cheap test from a lab and provides the best info for your particular engine. 2 different GX's will produce different metal wear just because each part made will always have a very slightly different % of chemistry. So to prevent providing another long thread on the soap box I would say feel confident with any of the major brands.

Most people have excellent results with Amsoil, Mobile 1, Pennzoil, Castrol and Valvoline. Change them often with a lexus/Toyota filter (or oversized if you like).

Again, everyone on here has a preference that is a good experience. We are fortunate to have a good forum with lots of great info. Trust me, if you ever test your oil using one of the major players you will be happy with the results. Plus it is a great way to find about leakage from coolant etc in the engine.

Good luck and enjoy your GX. I sure do.
Old 04-01-11, 12:03 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Castrol Fully Synthetic, hands down. Does not burn oil like Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic, in my experience at least.
CamelKool (09-01-20)
Old 04-01-11, 04:43 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rbx10
Hey cdFab how come you are changing oil at 5k if u are using synthetic?
Thanks
I do not want to have any problems. I believe 10,000 is too long to wait and the recommended maintenance schedule is 5000 miles so it makes sense to me. It is also easy to remember and with the maintenance light on the dash set for 5000 mile reminders its easy. My wife’s BMW X5 is maintained as per their schedule which is oil changes when the computer tells you which averages to about 12,000-15,000 miles...way too long to wait! It now has about 90,000 miles and has been burning oil for the past 30,000+ miles. They say it is "normal". I do not believe any engine should burn oil if it is maintained properly. We should have been changing it at least every 10,000, or preferably every 5000. We learned our lesson. I checked my oil yesterday which has about 4800 miles on it and it has not burned a drop and the color is light amber. I have about 65,000 miles on my GX. The BMW oil has about 10,000 miles on it and it looks very dark (and that is with 1 1/2q of new oil I just added). When you look in the engine it looks nasty. We have always used BMW High Performance Synthetic oil in it.
To me it is cheap insurance to change your oil every 5,000 miles and use a good brand oil. But that is just me.
Old 04-01-11, 06:44 AM
rbx10
Driver

I'm on board with you cdfab no engine should be burning oil if well maintained
If your X5 case schedule was followed to specs and now oil is being burnt....not right. I don't see how BMW is justifying this as normal. I think I'm gonna learn from you and not wait to 12k.
Thanks
Old 04-04-11, 04:20 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use walmart brand synthetic oil with toyota filer and change every 4500 miles. Never did any testing on it. My GX have 88K on it, GS have 61K on and both run really well with no oil burning.

I also do a seafoam treatment twice a year. 2/3 bottle in a full gas tank and the remaining 1/3 in the oil about 200 miles before the next oil change.
Old 04-04-11, 05:44 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Turbinator
I have done Mobil 1 Synthetic, and am using Mobil 1 products for all the user serviceable oils in the GX thus far. No scientific data, but I'm happy so far and so is the vehicle.

Turby

+1!!!

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Brand