GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Saving on Gas !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-11, 04:33 PM
rbx10
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Saving on Gas !!!

Fellas,

With gas price rocketing sky high, I feel as though my pocket is not too happy.
So I was thinking of some ways we can save on gas.
Removing the two kid seats in the back should save me a little dough because that would
be less cargo I'm hauling. I believe they weigh about 120 lbs combine.

However, one thing I'm concerned about though is storage. I was thinking they could be stored in the attic since I don't have
much place in my garage. But, I'm not sure how the attic environment would affect the leather.
I don't have any use for these seats now as they just hanging on the side looking good.

Any thoughts fellas ?

Thanks

rbx10
Pearly White -GX
Old 02-13-11, 10:23 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rbx10
Fellas,

Any thoughts fellas ?

Pearly White -GX
Yes. While shallow, somewhat flippant, and silly, I do have thoughts: The cargo space may be appreciated. You will have comfy lounge chairs in your attic (man cave?). While not measurable with modern instruments, your fuel savings will buy you and the Mrs. a round at Starbucks if you log 50,000 miles per year and keep your GX until the Gen. 5 version arrives! Remove the center row seating to amplify savings, but first install DVD player/headrest monitors. Place in front of third row seats in attic. Man cave home theater has arrived! Concerns about drastic attic temperatures, pests and dust will be overshadowed by the risks imposed by Cheeto stains and beer farts!
Old 02-13-11, 10:32 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine out because I want the space. They live on a set of racks (up off the floor) in my garage.

Last edited by BlairC; 02-14-11 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-14-11, 07:58 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

...in the closet at my house.

No need to drive them around town unused all the time.
Old 02-14-11, 11:41 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zippinbye
Yes. While shallow, somewhat flippant, and silly, I do have thoughts: The cargo space may be appreciated. You will have comfy lounge chairs in your attic (man cave?). While not measurable with modern instruments, your fuel savings will buy you and the Mrs. a round at Starbucks if you log 50,000 miles per year and keep your GX until the Gen. 5 version arrives! Remove the center row seating to amplify savings, but first install DVD player/headrest monitors. Place in front of third row seats in attic. Man cave home theater has arrived! Concerns about drastic attic temperatures, pests and dust will be overshadowed by the risks imposed by Cheeto stains and beer farts!
Thats really funny. I dont think 120lbs makes any difference.
Old 02-14-11, 11:43 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

We can also remove spare tire, keep half tank. Dont open your window so you have better aero dynamics.
Old 02-14-11, 11:54 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I find that leaving my wife and two kids at home reduces the weight by approx 210 lbs.
Old 02-14-11, 05:00 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

You kids know better than that ... of course, it helps. Not much, but it obviously helps.

For the same reason I have my 3rd row sitting inside my house, I don't drive around town with 120lbs of rocks in the back.

Taken alone, removing the rear seats probably doesn't make much of an improvement, but combine it with other strategies and it will. Auto manufacturers are aggressively targeting weight savings as a way to achieve higher Federally mandated mpg goals. Weight kills mpg.

To each their own...
Old 02-14-11, 06:44 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...

You want an honest answer you don't want to hear? Get a different car.

The only real savings you are going to realize in a GX is to drive it VERY light footed and do a LOT of coasting and using of cruise control. Of course, properly inflate tires and make sure all maint is done.

I mean you no disrespect but there is no simple solution.
Old 02-14-11, 06:55 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are we talking about second row sitting? Because I removed my 3rd row, and I don't think they were 120 lbs. May be I had a sport, light version sitting in my 3rd row. Or am I too strong to have noticed?
Light rims may save you some gas. Probably taking off the AC pump could help gas mileage also. Keeping your car clean and waxed will reduce weight and drag . And I wonder, if removing the clutch fan for the radiator and replacing it with an eclectic substitute would yield any fuel savings aside from just getting more power out of the motor?
Old 02-14-11, 07:31 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've removed and reinstalled 3rd row seats numerois times - they do NOT weigh 120 pounds. Your gas savings will not even be marginal if you take them out. However, in combination with other measures, you $ay get an appreciable saving.

First and foremost, drive more like a grandma and less like a teenager trying to impress his girlfriend with his driving skills (believe me, I know what I'm talking about - I have one at home).

Second, keep your tires properly inflated. The fact that TPMS light is off does not mean that you have right pressure in your tires.

Third, replace your airfilter according to maintenance schedule.

Four, replace all fluids with synthetic. You can pick a brand that you like, that makes no difference.

Five, lower your expectations. If you expect to get a gas mileage like Honda Civic, then get a Civic. Otherwise, don't complain. You own a 6500 lb vehicle!!! There is no way you will get 32mpg. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Old 02-14-11, 07:52 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by snhrph
I've removed and reinstalled 3rd row seats numerois times - they do NOT weigh 120 pounds. Your gas savings will not even be marginal if you take them out. However, in combination with other measures, you $ay get an appreciable saving.

First and foremost, drive more like a grandma and less like a teenager trying to impress his girlfriend with his driving skills (believe me, I know what I'm talking about - I have one at home).

Second, keep your tires properly inflated. The fact that TPMS light is off does not mean that you have right pressure in your tires.

Four, replace all fluids with synthetic. You can pick a brand that you like, that makes no difference.

Five, lower your expectations. If you expect to get a gas mileage like Honda Civic, then get a Civic. Otherwise, don't complain. You own a 6500 lb vehicle!!! There is no way you will get 32mpg. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Absolutely right ! I totally agree with "Snhrph"
Old 02-14-11, 09:23 PM
rbx10
Driver

Fellas thanks for all your input. Appreciate the 101.
So the third row are going to stay until I get a good spot to store them.
@ ZIPPINBYE- You are a riot kid. LOL

-rbx10
Old 02-15-11, 03:41 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If gas prices are killin' ya, try a Smart-for-Two.
Old 02-15-11, 06:06 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by snhrph

Just adding to this good advice;

Remove any extra weight, 3rd row seats are a big item.

Driving style is one of the big factors. Also don’t let the vehicle warm-up by idling, start and go. Keep RPM low until up to operating temp.

Tire pressure and the type of tires are a big factor. Use the highest pressure, within the max indicated on tire. An easy way to determine this is to fill the tires to several lbs below max (If max is 41 psi, start with 38) and draw (chalk/crayon) a horizontal line across the treads. Then drive (strait) approx 20 ft on dry pavement. If the tire is overinflated the center of the line will be removed and the ends will not. Lower the pressure until the line is completely removed. Also important is the type of tire you are using. The heavier and more aggressive tread pattern will get less mileage (more rotating mass and rolling resistance). Use a tire that fits the type of diving you do most. Using an A/T type tire will cost you 1 to 3 mpg (over a highway type tire), depending on how big/heavy/aggressive of a tire. Rubber hardness and depth of tread will affect rolling resistance. The more a tire conforms to the road surface the more rolling resistance. The more rolling resistance, the less mileage. Gearing also affects mileage. Not only the final gear ratio but also larger overall tire diameter change the ratio.

Using full synthetics everywhere you can, will help. Also, using 0w will contribute. A 0w synthetic engine oil will have a lower pour point (then 5w) and will put less drag on the crankshaft. You can also use a slightly lower synthetic gear oil viscosity in the diffs. Such as substituting 80w–90 with 75w–90.

Koz

Quick Reply: Saving on Gas !!!