GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Towing, Suspension, Misc..

Old 02-13-11, 07:14 AM
e30dude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing, Suspension, Misc..

Hello - I own a 2004 GX470 and like most others, have been having issues with the ride height and comfort. I have read most threads about those issues so I thought I would combine my questions into single thread centered on my objectives to tow. Any insight would be appreciated.

1) The rear of my truck has been jacked up for about a month now and I'm assuming it's the "ride height sensors" but before I replace those, I am trying to decide as to whether or not its even worthwhile if I need to use this to tow. The manual states that those with ride height control should not tow.

With that said, I was thinking of doing a medium duty Old Man Emu suspension and possibly adding suspension air bags into the rear springs and just filling up manually when I tow. I did the identical suspension conversion on my '97 4Runner and it works great. I still need to research what my options are here and I will update the forum as I learn more.

2) Is it worthwhile to or is there even an option to add a transmission cooler to help extend the life of the tranny on these?

3) There have been a few great write-ups on installing the avail tow packages but any comments/suggestions here are welcome. Any particular brake controller systems suggested or used by anyone?

Thanks!
Old 02-13-11, 08:48 AM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by e30dude
1) The rear of my truck has been jacked up for about a month now and I'm assuming it's the "ride height sensors" but before I replace those, I am trying to decide as to whether or not its even worthwhile if I need to use this to tow. The manual states that those with ride height control should not tow.
Where in the manual did you read that? As far as I know, every GX has ride height control...regardless of whether or not it has the towing package.

Mine certainly has both.
Old 02-13-11, 09:05 AM
BlairC
Pole Position

I would just replace the ride height controllers. Get the lexus brake controller pigtail, wire up your controller and head down the road. Btw the suspension is very worthwhile for towing because it will auto level. What you read in the manual was probably about adjusting the height. Which only works at slow speeds.
Old 02-13-11, 09:20 AM
e30dude
Driver School Candidate

Rainmn - My bad - I just checked the manual and its states that "Lexus does not recommend towing a trailer with KDSS" For some reason I was thinking the ride height control came with KDSS. In my manual, it is page 386.
Old 02-14-11, 11:59 AM
BonnerBB
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have KDSS... My truck also came with the receiver hitch already on it.

I towed ONCE and will not do it again. I actually asked someone with a pickup to tow the trailer back because I almost lost it going around a corner.

The KDSS is unstable when it has an outside force pushing the rear back and forth.

You too will do it only once so why bother wasting your money. I sure wish I knew that before I bought my GX with KDSS.
Old 02-14-11, 01:34 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Originally Posted by BonnerBB

I towed ONCE and will not do it again. I actually asked someone with a pickup to tow the trailer back because I almost lost it going around a corner.

The KDSS is unstable when it has an outside force pushing the rear back and forth.

You too will do it only once so why bother wasting your money. I sure wish I knew that before I bought my GX with KDSS.
WOW! Now I'm not sad I couldn't find a GX with KDSS. And...I'm really confused now. Came with a reciever, came with KDSS, Lexus brain fart on this one?
Old 02-14-11, 01:37 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

yeah, this seems pretty crazy. can you defeat KDSS?
Old 02-14-11, 01:55 PM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove my friend Lexus GX with KDSS them mine, then his again no difference.
Old 02-14-11, 04:26 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Huh, then beggs the question. Is KDSS an internet phenomenon? What I mean is, the "positive" aspect of it just a bunch of us types talking about it? I'll tell you this much, if I had something on my SUV with a V8 that prevented me from towing I'd be disgruntled and selling it. What's the point?

Or are we talking about really heavy towing? With the OE hitch, the limit is 7,500 no? So the new 4runner and new GX460 has KDSS as an option, so no towing? Something seems awry. If this is the case, you would have to imagine maybe a feature that disables KDSS when a trailer harness is plugged in. IDK, sounds goofy.
Old 02-15-11, 07:33 AM
e30dude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BonnerBB

Well, I just looked at the price for the new height sensors and have decided to replace the entire suspension.. I assume that KDSS only manages the stiffness of the shocks so I assume once those are trashed, I will be in good shape. The question now is which route to go? I'm thinking either the 5100's and/or OME (fitted for FJ Cruiser) or Overland Warehouse. I will likely then add manual airbags for when I tow. Not sure yet..
Old 02-15-11, 07:57 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I highly recommend keeping your OEM auto leveling system. This system is very elaborate (with built-in air dryer system) and works very well for towing. It would cost approx $5K to install an equivalent aftermarket system. Whatever the cost of the sensor, it does not make sense to install a whole new system that will not be anywhere near the quality of the OEM.

Koz
Old 02-15-11, 08:34 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I know I have a 460 but there is NO mention in the owner's manual of not being able to tow with KDSS. That doesn't even make sense! I also spoke with Lexus and they agree.

Koz
Old 02-15-11, 09:38 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea I agree taking a risk replacing the whole suspension? you may be in for much more than you bargined for----check sewell Lexus, they usually have a nice discount on parts for us members.
Old 02-15-11, 09:54 AM
rainmn
Driver

Originally Posted by Koz
I highly recommend keeping your OEM auto leveling system. This system is very elaborate (with built-in air dryer system) and works very well for towing. It would cost approx $5K to install an equivalent aftermarket system. Whatever the cost of the sensor, it does not make sense to install a whole new system that will not be anywhere near the quality of the OEM.

Koz
"Quality" of the OEM system? Sorry, but I find that almost laughable. Have you seen the length of my "Intermittent Poor Ride" thread?

The rear suspension of the GX is, IMO, over engineered junk. The ride height sensors are prone to failure (both of mine have been replaced), and even then, nobody seems to understand why the trucks still seem to have random ride quality issues.

If and when I need to replace the rear shocks or the height sensors (again), I will be going to standard springs & shocks.

As for the system working very well for towing....that's exactly when mine last broke....while hooking up my boat.
Old 02-15-11, 10:27 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUEGXLVCR
Huh, then beggs the question. Is KDSS an internet phenomenon? What I mean is, the "positive" aspect of it just a bunch of us types talking about it? I'll tell you this much, if I had something on my SUV with a V8 that prevented me from towing I'd be disgruntled and selling it. What's the point?

Or are we talking about really heavy towing? With the OE hitch, the limit is 7,500 no? So the new 4runner and new GX460 has KDSS as an option, so no towing? Something seems awry. If this is the case, you would have to imagine maybe a feature that disables KDSS when a trailer harness is plugged in. IDK, sounds goofy.
GX 470 OEM hitch is 6500lbs. I dont know if KDSS is internet phenomenon but I can say for sure after driving my friend 2008 GX for two days I coudnt tell a difference that his 08 GX has 40 HP more then 2004 and I couldnt tell a difference in KDSS suspension.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing, Suspension, Misc..