GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HIGH-LOW shifting noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 08:01 AM
prwdmd
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HIGH-LOW shifting noise

I've tried to search the forum for an answer to this but couldn't find anything. It's been snowing here in Nashville... and going up and down our steep driveway I've been trying out the low range gearing on the GX. However, when I shift the car into LOW... I hear and feel a distinct grinding noise that just occurs during the shift. Sounds like the cogs of the gears trying to come together and grinding some before they drop in... similar to mis-shifting in a car with manual transmission. It does this both ways... going low to high and high to low. I have the vehicle parked, in neutral, and not moving. It doesn't sound normal to me... I have done a lot of off road driving in a Land Rover Discovery and doing the same shift into low range doesn't make that kind of noise... it makes just a small clunk.

Is this normal on the GX???

2007 GX 470
Xenon Depot HID 4300K low beams
Old 01-11-11, 08:13 AM
BlairC
Pole Position

yeah, that would make me nervous too. looking forward to the groups feedback.
Old 01-11-11, 02:00 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by prwdmd
I've tried to search the forum for an answer to this but couldn't find anything. It's been snowing here in Nashville... and going up and down our steep driveway I've been trying out the low range gearing on the GX. However, when I shift the car into LOW... I hear and feel a distinct grinding noise that just occurs during the shift. Sounds like the cogs of the gears trying to come together and grinding some before they drop in... similar to mis-shifting in a car with manual transmission. It does this both ways... going low to high and high to low. I have the vehicle parked, in neutral, and not moving. It doesn't sound normal to me... I have done a lot of off road driving in a Land Rover Discovery and doing the same shift into low range doesn't make that kind of noise... it makes just a small clunk.

Is this normal on the GX???

2007 GX 470
Xenon Depot HID 4300K low beams
it is not a syncromesh system, give the trans a second after you put it in neutral , then shift the transfer case lever to neutral, then L. But not for anything, lowering the gearing will not help in snow, that is mainly for off roading where a lot of torque is needed to climb rocks or a steep incline at low speeds, just hit the button that locks the differential and turn off the VSC, that will lock all four wheels up and get you up the driveway.
Old 01-11-11, 07:45 PM
prwdmd
Rookie

I know low range wouldn't help with snow traction on level ground, however it is a good way of controlling your speed down a steep incline (if you also shift into 2L) ... I was mainly using it to control my rate of descent down my slippery driveway without having to apply my brakes.

OK... I will to give it a second in neutral before going into low... I'll try it out in the morning and see if that makes any difference...
Old 01-12-11, 10:47 AM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an 08 and tried shifting from high to low and vice versa. It does have a grinding noise and feel before it engages. Maybe this is normal? I would imagine the transfer fluid to be filled with metal shavings if this is done often.
Old 01-12-11, 11:34 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I will go try mine as well and see what it does--Ill report back here later
Old 01-12-11, 12:05 PM
prwdmd
Rookie

This morning I tried it over again... this time I moved the lever much slower and gave it an extra few seconds in "N". Seemed to greatly reduce the grinding noise I was experiencing earlier. I suppose I could have been shifting the lever too quickly. It seems that the GX transfer case is just more finicky than what I've experienced in other vehicles.
Old 01-12-11, 02:37 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried engaging both Hi and Lo and felt a little bit of grinding. I think it might be normal to engage the Hi or Lo.

Any body out there that engages Hi/Lo on regular basis?
Old 01-13-11, 03:01 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do with no griding.

I stop moving, wait a few seconds in neutral then shift.

Perfect everytime.