GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
Old 12-15-14, 04:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
  • Warning Lights
    Important information to help you understand your Lexus

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

GX 470 Warning Lights VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid, Check Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 07:08 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Illegal????

so in order to correct the check engine light I decided to install an extender on the O2 sensor behind the passenger side CC. I just want to throw this out there.....are these "illegal"?? and if so what could really possibly happen if this seen maybe during an emissions test? Personally all they can do in my opinion is remove it and make me pay 2 grand for a new CC on a vehicle with 260K on it.

Just wondering.
Old 11-05-16, 01:31 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAYM
so in order to correct the check engine light I decided to install an extender on the O2 sensor behind the passenger side CC. I just want to throw this out there.....are these "illegal"?? and if so what could really possibly happen if this seen maybe during an emissions test? Personally all they can do in my opinion is remove it and make me pay 2 grand for a new CC on a vehicle with 260K on it.

Just wondering.

Illegal is probably not the right word, it would simply be the equivalent of your car failing the emissions test. Just not in compliance, not a big deal, happens all the time. I've had several classic "hot rod" type cars that I would go in for an emissions test that was missing federally mandated emissions equipment that I had removed, and the inspector simply notes it and tells you it needs to be fixed in order to be in compliance. But this was really obvious and brazen, and the "fix" I would put on there was laughable but it was enough to fool them.

I would guess 99.99% of the time, an inspector will not catch an O2 extender, especially when it's on a vehicle that's pretty low key. Now if you bring in a Mustang or Camaro with a really loud exhaust, they will probably really inspect that exhaust system. But even then, I bet most 99% sail through if that's all that is on there.

If you want to up your odds a bit and are a little paranoid, wipe some dirt/road grease on the extender because it will probably be nice and shiny vs the rest of the exhaust and might stand out a bit. But they RARELY take a mirror down there and look.

FWIW, my other Lexus has them and I just went through emissions and it was no issue. Most OBD2 vehicles, they just hook up to a scanner and then send you on your way.
Old 11-07-16, 07:04 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

If you're in a state where the car gets put on the lift, you'd probably fail the inspection. In which case you'd have 30 days or so to get it into compliance (free re-test, btw). Some states have a dollar limit on the repairs. So if it'd cost over $xxx to repair it, you get a waiver. Check your state laws & regulations.

Chip H.
Old 11-11-16, 09:45 AM
Turners222
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
find a new mechanic quickly as this guy is just playing mechanic on your dime.

First off, replacing the MAF takes about 5 minutes including removal of plastic engine cover on passenger side (it's only held in w/ 2 philips-head machine screws just aft of the air filter) so he shouldn't have charged you any labor.

Secondly, MAFs aren't cheap at all and he should have tried cleaning it first before simply replacing (it's all of ~ $7 for a whole can of QD electronic cleaner at any parts store). Plain and simple, b/c replacing it didn't fix your issue, the MAF wasn't the cause and you could put the old one back in...

Anyhow, since the same codes are consistently being thrown you need to first go back to the O2 sensors and make sure the new ones are OK and were installed correctly. Know it's kind of odd you are also getting the Anti Skid light too as I thought you'd only get both VSCs and the CEL. Furthermore, it's not common for both O2 sensors to go at same time.

Was/is the CEL flashing at all or did it just come on?

Additional thoughts... go to an Advanced Auto or the like and have them pull the codes (most of the national chains do this for free) and report them back here.

Any specific conditions when the light came back on or just after ~ 100 miles? i.e. under hard acceleration, at higher altitude, going down hill, etc...

The codes you gave are generic running too rich left and right bank. As such, it could be a host of issues. You don't want this guy just replacing all possible problems until he finds the correct one b/c he can test each to narrow it down...
Can you be more specific about where to find the MAF? I would like to try this.
Old 01-14-17, 01:56 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys wife left for work and called me saying that some dash lights came on.Told her to get out and check the gas cap because before she left,I put 6 gallons of gas in it from a jug I recently filled. Told her to turn it until it clicks which she did.After doing that,she is saying that she can pull the gas cap straight up pulling the cap off. I replaced the cap in November of 2014 so I will get a new cap from Toyota on Monday. Hopefully,its just the cap.

I see some of you clear the code by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes.Is this still the best way to clear the code? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-17-17, 05:54 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

The gas-cap codes should self-clear after a few drives, once it realizes the leak is gone.

Chip H.
Old 01-17-17, 07:06 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Thanks Chip,will give that a try once cap arrives. Toyota dealer wanted $34,Lexus dealer wanted $27. Ordered online for just under $20 with no tax and free shipping.I changed the cap 2 years ago.Anyone one else finding that the cap goes bad in that time? I assume it will last longer in warmer climates.
Old 01-17-17, 08:02 AM
yackowski
Rookie

Originally Posted by Wronglane
Thanks Chip,will give that a try once cap arrives. Toyota dealer wanted $34,Lexus dealer wanted $27. Ordered online for just under $20 with no tax and free shipping.I changed the cap 2 years ago.Anyone one else finding that the cap goes bad in that time? I assume it will last longer in warmer climates.
My cap failed last month at 98k miles on my '08 in Dallas. I put a new seal on it from Amazon and so far all is good.

Cole
Old 01-17-17, 08:59 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by yackowski
My cap failed last month at 98k miles on my '08 in Dallas. I put a new seal on it from Amazon and so far all is good.

Cole

I did not know you could just replace the seal?Do you have a part number or a link to what you bought?
Old 01-17-17, 09:10 AM
yackowski
Rookie

Originally Posted by Wronglane
I did not know you could just replace the seal?Do you have a part number or a link to what you bought?
Sure thing-

Toyota 77316-33042 Fuel Tank Cap Gasket - Amazon $11.19 + Free Shipping
Old 01-17-17, 10:53 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by yackowski
Sure thing-

Toyota 77316-33042 Fuel Tank Cap Gasket - Amazon $11.19 + Free Shipping
Thanks,I will keep that number for the future. For others who may need the entire gas cap,here is where I got mine from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231682234591
Old 08-12-17, 10:42 AM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

All,
Just had the check engine light along with the drive train warnings go on my GX after dropping off the travel trailer. I happened to have a few gas cap gaskets left over from my other Toyota van and did the switch on my gas cap. Did the cap left-hand turn test and it was much stronger. After a couple of days of driving, the lights went off on their own.
Nice easy and cheap fix and saved the landfill from another piece of plastic! Thanks to this forum for the info!
Old 08-17-17, 08:49 AM
jryder01
Driver School Candidate

Hoping this is OK to post this issue on this thread as it seemed related. I have a 2008 GX 470, with a gas gauge problem. It is reading empty, and the low fuel level light is on after I have filled it up. When I start turn on the ignition, the needle moves a tiny bit, and is lit up, so I am certain it is not a fuse but possibly the float / fuel assembly. I called the dealer to ask if there was access to the assembly, and they told me the tank needed to be dropped, and the part replaced. 800 bucks, OR a bad ECU 2000 bucks. I am inherently distrustful of the dealer as they have tried to pull unnecessary repairs with huge bills over on me in the past offering that I could look at a new truck. My vehicle only has 95 k on it, has been fairly trouble free over the years, and is in great condition. I am certain they just want to resell it. Can anyone offer any other things I can troubleshoot, or if you have had the same issues?
Old 08-17-17, 08:53 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Does your computer range setting work as far as resetting the range after fill up. If it does I would forgo replacing the fuel sensor. However the range may also be linked to the fuel device in the tank and may thus may be also not reporting right
Old 02-03-18, 11:04 AM
shantann
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Gas Cap corrected the problem!!

This Club Lexus is incredible resource for info that will save you a great deal of money! I checked here as my check engine light as well as VSC and skid lights came on. I was planning to take to dealership when I read that changing your gas cap out would probably correct the issue that triggered those codes......It absolutely did....bought a generic cap replacement from an auto store.....lights off.....Thankful for this forum!!

Quick Reply: GX 470 Warning Lights VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid, Check Engine