GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

4wd questions from recent snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-10, 09:10 PM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4wd questions from recent snow

I recently purchased an 04 gx470 to replace my wife's Sequoia (still getting used to the size difference) and I had questions concerning the VSC/anti slip. I am a longtime Jeep nut who has been wheeling my well modified Wrangler-TJ for the past 15 years, so I feel I understand the system very well with the exception of the electronic brake stuff. Our Sequoia didn't have it and of course my Jeep doesn't, so I am not used to the brake system constantly working in slick situations.

So here is the deal...We just had 3" of snow and I thought I would try things out around on our land a little. First thing I noticed is replace the POS Bridgestone Dueler HT immediately! Secondly, the vehicle had almost 0 traction in 3" of snow. It slid all over the place and was stuck in 3" of snow. I locked the differential and put it in Low Range. VSC cut off but the dang anti skid light would never stop. Everytime any slippage occurred the light would come on and the system would apply the brakes. The tires would just spin all day long while hearing the brake systems constantly working, along with the annoying traction light. I basically just nailed the gas pedal and kept digging until I got back on our gravel road. I guess I was expecting it to perform very well even with the POS Bridgestones but it was basically useless in 3" of snow? Is this the appropriate way the system works and are the HT's so bad that it makes that much of a difference in just 3" of snow?

For a comparison I went back out in my Jeep in the same locations (with very good AT tires) and went through everything with ease in 2wd! In 4wd I didn't slip at all in the Jeep? We LOVE our GX470 (not trying to dog it here) but I just couldn't believe it was virtually useless in 3" of snow. I honestly figured that even with the HT tires that the weight of the vehicle on so little snow wouldn't be a problem?

So is the system designed to work like this and will the brakes always be doing this in snow? It does the same in hill descent as well (loud tapping of the brakes and jerking) so I am assuming this is how it is suppose to work?

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated! I am big fan of the forum network from many years on other boards, so I am looking forward to getting to know everyone here as well! I guess I am so used to the simplicity of my Jeep and Sequoia that I am just not used to the GX yet. I guess I just kind of wish I could turn the traction control off but I am not sure that is possible. Hopefully I want get flamed too bad but I am just new to the systems on the GX.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by easgx470; 12-26-10 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-25-10, 10:18 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much tread do you have on the Dueler's? They aren't a horrible tire...

I believe you can turn the VSC off independently. Did you try that?

The GX is full-time AWD/4wd with a Torsen center diff. and a limited slip rear diff (IIRC). You should be good in 99% of the situations by just driving the thing. in "D". I've never *had* to lock my center diff, though I've done it a few times for fun.

VSC = "skid control". This "corrects" the vehicle angle based on yaw sensors using the braking system. It's a reactive mechanism when it feels like the car is getting out of shape. I like to be able to play w/drifting my cars a bit on the snow, so I find the VSC pretty annoying. Impressive safety tech, though. Also, FWIW, I believe VSC is mandated as a safety mechanism on all new cars now (or very soon).

Hard to do "apples to apples" without using the same tire on the two trucks. In my experience, the tires can be the most important piece of the system.
Old 12-25-10, 10:47 PM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

The the HL's don't have a lot of tread left (maybe 5-10k miles left) so they are fairly slick. Based on my experience tonight I will be replacing them this week. Do not want my wife & kids to be at risk with the winter weather etc.

I did manually turn off the VSC and even with the differential locked (which also turned it off) it still was "brake happy". I just have NEVER had so little traction with any of my current or past offroad experiences that I wanted to make sure of what was going on. I figured in locked and in Lo that I would be able to go without any brake assistance (computer help). The brake system was very audible while trying to accelerate through the slick stuff.

The slip indicator light was constantly flashing and then the car would automatically start applying the brakes (which is what I assumed to be the constant tapping sound and "jerky" feeling).

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by easgx470; 12-25-10 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-26-10, 02:42 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps there was a layer of ice under the snow? My RX330 had no trouble getting through 5 inches of snow. Many folks on this forum have driven in over a foot of snow with no issues.
Old 12-26-10, 07:36 AM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

I made a typo before...My tires are HT's and NOT HL's.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-10, 06:43 PM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Any other ideas? I am getting Michelin LTX MS/2's installed tomorrow, so hopefully that will help.
Old 12-27-10, 07:09 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are sliding it's ice and or your tires. The GX is an animal off road and in the snow. Michelin LTX M/S's are GREAT tires and IMO second best to the Cross Terrains. You should be fine.
Old 12-27-10, 07:56 PM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. The CT's were the same price as the LTX but I just happen to be partial to the LTX's. This will make my 5th set in a row and unfortunately the GX came with the HT's when we bought it.

I sure hope my 4 wheel drive will come alive with new tires. I still wish I could turn of the brake assist stuff but I guess I will get used to it.
Old 12-29-10, 08:27 AM
HaveBlue
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a set of kumho sat61s. I came from a 4runner locked front and rear on 33 s so the gx is something im getting used to too. I had the dunlop at20s up in the snow on the gx and they did really well. The vsc never came on. There is hope for you.
Old 12-29-10, 08:57 AM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like big change from your 4 runner but apparently with the right tires there is hope. I had the LTX MS/2's put on last night so I hope the next adventure will be much better. I will get used to it eventually but I am just used to more driver control offroad.

Thanks
Old 12-29-10, 09:15 AM
skim07
Driver

OEM bridgestone dueler h/t 840 is piece of junk. I hated these tires since the day we bought the car and drove out of the dealer parking lot. Its been 3 years and waiting for the tread to burn off a little more. I'll be sure to try Michelin LTX M/S2 next.
Old 12-29-10, 09:55 AM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

I really wasn't even close to the wear bars but I wasn't willing to deal with horrible traction. They were fine on dry pavement but after my experience with bad weather in them it was a no brainer. I didn't want my wife and kids riding on those POS in the winter/rain. I would have trashed them even if they were new. The LTX has always worked great for us and on our HEAVY Sequoia we got 60k miles out of them (1st set was 58k and 2nd was at 60k....same with our last grand cherokee at around 60k for both sets) and they had just approached the wear bars. I would never put them on my Jeep because I need a heavy duty MT or AT tire but they have been great on our family haulers. Really good balance for all around driving and treadwear.

I hope you have better luck than I did with the HT's.

Last edited by easgx470; 12-29-10 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-29-10, 11:00 AM
skim07
Driver

how do you like the LTX on the GX?? Care to share some opinions on it? TIA
Old 12-29-10, 11:38 AM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

So far so good but they have only been on a day so far. My wife has been driving it but I will post my opinion after driving it some more. I know they were wonderful on our Sequoia and Grand Cherokee and I expect no different on the GX. I am never one to say "the most expensive is best" but you do get what you pay for with the LTX. The MS/2 is almost identical to the older LTX. I had both versions on the Sequoia and there were no differences in performance, only aesthetics (lettering is different). The cross terrains are a great tire as well but I prefer the tread pattern on the LTX MS/2 (just an opinion of course ) I will post a review after I have some seat time in various conditions. They performed very well on and offroad before so I am expecting the same. I guess if you total the miles over our previous 4 sets we got about 240k miles with no issues at all (no leaks, cuts, blow outs, no vibrations or alignment issues, always stayed balanced etc.) Really couldn't ask for anything better but maybe we have been lucky the past 4 times....who knows. I have always been extremely pleased with Michelin truck tires but not as much so with car tires.

I know you can't really go wrong with LTX's or Cross Terrains for a great all around tire.
Worth the extra $150 to me without a doubt. Especially as I get a lot of miles on them.

Last edited by easgx470; 12-29-10 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-29-10, 01:16 PM
subie2GX
Rookie

This is quite interesting. I have 2007 GX with Stock tires at 30K miles. I live in NYC and had over 20" snow in my area. With differential Lock and VSC Off, truck had no problem at all.

Quick Reply: 4wd questions from recent snow