GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Indicator Light Help (VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Check Eng)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-13, 04:38 AM
Bouncer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Traction Control and Check Eng on 1995 SC 400

Hi,

Do you think that a new gas cap will take care of the lights I have showing on my 95 SC400.??

Traction Control light and Check Engine light...

That would be great..They are not on at first. About a 30 seconds to a minute into driving they will pop on and stay on.

This just started a month ago. 162,000 on my car..

Thanks...
Old 02-02-13, 06:07 AM
memphisto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the exact same problem on my 03 GS300 with 185K miles...already replaced the O2 sensors some time ago. Could it also be the gas cap? I don't trust the dealer.
Old 06-06-13, 02:01 PM
Ab0uMarwan
Driver School Candidate

I am taking my 2008 lexus gx470 to the dealer for similar issues. The gas cap look good actually, but who knows, I will let them run the diagnosis as well ... ouch, heading to the stealers!!!
Old 06-10-13, 04:54 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had this. Now I took it too autozone. Their test said battery is bad. So I dunno I am bringing it too the dealer in the morning for a trade in. Should I buy a battery and gas cap or let them deal with it?
Old 06-10-13, 07:23 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol now it's gone. Well seems the alternator did its job. But I'm still gonna change the battery and gas cap.
Old 01-22-14, 10:33 PM
Uncilro
Driver School Candidate

Default Helpful Folk

This thread I sure has helped many save money. Thanking everyone for their input, and knowledge. This is was what make CLUBLEXUS awesome!
Old 01-26-14, 05:48 PM
that1mienb
Driver School Candidate

I was exiting the free way one night heading home from work, as I took the exit, I end up swerving a little to the right because I was drowsy from a 30 min commute lol. So yea then that scared me n woke me up, but ya my place is right off the freeway maybe half a 3/4 of a mile or less. As I turned into my street, I heard a beeping and my check engine light, check vsc, and traction control light came on. I got worried and searched all night about it and was planning to unplug my battery to reset the ecu after reading all the other threads. Next day I turned the car on maybe 3 times for I made 3 short trips around my area and the third time I turned it on. I noticed all of the check engine lights, vsc , and traction lights didnt come on no more and hasnt been on since. Im guessing when I swerved the night before iy probably threw a sensor off or something.
But im really glad nothing was wrong because I really didnt do nothing besides swerving lol
Old 11-09-14, 12:02 PM
Jsloane200
Driver School Candidate

Default Gas cap not a solution for me

Read the post, bought a new gas cap at Lexus, didn't fix problem as the lights are still showing on my dashboard. 😢 I might take to pep boys for a free diagnostic code reading.

Last edited by Jsloane200; 11-09-14 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Correct misspelling!
Old 11-09-14, 05:50 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Just an FYI, a check engine light is not always a loose or poor sealing gas cap. Any any code or trouble fault designed to trip a check engine light (generally powertrain related codes) will disable all traction control systems by default, hence the other lights illuminating. Also, after clearing a check engine light, it may take 2 or more key cycles for the light to return if it wasn't correctly fixed.
Old 11-17-14, 09:27 AM
wheelies
Driver School Candidate

trac light vsc lights will come on if your check engine light comes on just... Computer disables the trac/vsc when a CEL is on so first find out what the CEL is then fix that 97% of the time it will reset the trac and vsc light also.. Had it happen to me thats how i know... Hope that helps.

THANKS JORGE
Old 02-24-15, 09:58 AM
sadkomodo
Driver School Candidate

Just bought a 2007 GX w/ 121,000 miles on Saturday. Monday afternoon, the dreaded VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid and Check Engine light came on. My heart fell into my stomach....did I just buy a piece of *****. After searching this forum, I can breath a little easier. Picking up a new gas cap at the Toyota dealer this afternoon. Crossing my fingers that this will remedy my issue. I love this truck.
Old 03-02-15, 05:31 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sadkomodo
Just bought a 2007 GX w/ 121,000 miles on Saturday. Monday afternoon, the dreaded VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Anti Skid and Check Engine light came on. My heart fell into my stomach....did I just buy a piece of *****. After searching this forum, I can breath a little easier. Picking up a new gas cap at the Toyota dealer this afternoon. Crossing my fingers that this will remedy my issue. I love this truck.
Did the gas cap work?
Old 03-09-15, 05:19 AM
sadkomodo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zippinbye
Did the gas cap work?
Like a charm. Have had it on for over a week with zero issues.
Old 11-26-15, 10:41 AM
Jk6877
Driver School Candidate

Default Vsc trac vsc off engine light all on , not shifting well

My Lexus gx 470 2004 was stored for 5 months. Battery went dead I charged it and restated the car now vsc trac vsc off plus engine lights are all on. Plus transmission does not shift well especially the first 2 speeds. My dealer is not trustworthy. What should I do ?
Old 11-26-15, 11:29 AM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jk6877
My Lexus gx 470 2004 was stored for 5 months. Battery went dead I charged it and restated the car now vsc trac vsc off plus engine lights are all on. Plus transmission does not shift well especially the first 2 speeds. My dealer is not trustworthy. What should I do ?
If you're not up for DIY, find a independent Toyota/Lexus repair shop. Every medium-size and up city has at least one. They generally stay in business by being reliable and trustworthy at a decent price. You could probably get a referral on here with a dedicated thread and appropriate title.

If it were me, I would do some DIY first: make sure the gas tank is full (and cap secure), go Autozone or other parts store for a free OBDII diagnostic code reading. While you are at it have them load test your battery (Sam's and Costco will do the later too, and probably have the best deal if you need a new battery). Five months is not a long time as far as overall impact on the GX, but a battery sitting dead for most of that time may not recover. Electrical supply issues are not taken kindly by the GX, so make sure you are on solid ground there. You may have already discovered your power windows are not operating normally (there's a thread for resetting them after battery swap). Assuming there was not a fluid leak, I would guess your transmission problems might be the result of a drained-down valve body and should be short-lived. But if there is a slippage problem or other monitored trans fault, the diagnostic code reading might pick it up. Barring anything major revealed by the OBDII check, I'd say have them clear the DTCs and drive several miles and cycles to see what happens. If it's obvious you have a significant transmission issue, then rethink the driving and head directly to the independent shop. Hopefully some driving and at worst a battery will get you back to normal.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Indicator Light Help (VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, Check Eng)