Trailer hitch install with photos!!! - Page 2 - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

Trailer hitch install with photos!!!

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-14, 05:48 PM   #16
SmittysGX
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafch1 View Post
Hate to bring up an old thread, however I just ran into this and thought id comment.

Your 04 GX is Silver Pine Metallic in color.. The Tow cover you ordered is Titanium Silver, available on all 2005-2008 models.

Props on the install, that truly looks like factory to me.. I swear if we put both our GXs together no one would be able to tell!
Yes the colors are sooo close but sooo far. Thank you all for the kind words. I haven't been on hear in a while, the GX can now tow the boat and does it like a champ!!
SmittysGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-14, 10:48 AM   #17
MidniteGX
Rookie
 
MidniteGX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Way up north of the 49th
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittysGX View Post
Yes the colors are sooo close but sooo far. Thank you all for the kind words. I haven't been on hear in a while, the GX can now tow the boat and does it like a champ!!
Great looking rig, Smitty and thanks for the write-up and pics. I will be using them this spring. Just need to order the parts as soon as the Canadian dollar stops diving so low!

I like the look of your wheel/rims on the GX - pretty sharp. Are those 20s?
MidniteGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 03:02 PM   #18
SmittysGX
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteGX View Post
Great looking rig, Smitty and thanks for the write-up and pics. I will be using them this spring. Just need to order the parts as soon as the Canadian dollar stops diving so low!

I like the look of your wheel/rims on the GX - pretty sharp. Are those 20s?
Thank you!!! Thosw wheels were 22s I have since gone with a different set. I now have stock FJ Cruiser wheels on it, what a better ride than with those 22s
SmittysGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 04:03 PM   #19
Tipler
Pole Position
 
Tipler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wi
Posts: 211
Default

Great looking GX , I have the hitch never used it once
Tipler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 09:21 PM   #20
MidniteGX
Rookie
 
MidniteGX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Way up north of the 49th
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittysGX View Post
Thank you!!! Thosw wheels were 22s I have since gone with a different set. I now have stock FJ Cruiser wheels on it, what a better ride than with those 22s
Ah yes, FJ cruiser 17s? I was looking at the six spoke from 2009 models. Which ones do you have?
MidniteGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-14, 07:39 AM   #21
SmittysGX
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteGX View Post
Ah yes, FJ cruiser 17s? I was looking at the six spoke from 2009 models. Which ones do you have?
I put these on, i like the off-set better with these wheels vs the stockers.

SmittysGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 04:59 PM   #22
MidniteGX
Rookie
 
MidniteGX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Way up north of the 49th
Posts: 95
Default

I had a look under the rear bumper of my 2004 to investigate the possibility of adding a towing receiver to the beast. It looks like there was a factory installation of a 7 pin wiring harness for plugging in a trailer. Does this mean that the so-called "tow package" had been installed?

Does anyone know if a 4runner has a similar setup for towing? If I want an OE hitch installation do I need to use only Lexus parts?
MidniteGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 09:00 PM   #23
chiph9
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 953
Default

Presence of the 7-pin connector is one indicator that you have the tow package. The other thing to check is that you have an auxiliary radiator in front of the regular one. This is the extra transmission cooler.

Chip H.
chiph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 09:40 PM   #24
MidniteGX
Rookie
 
MidniteGX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Way up north of the 49th
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiph9 View Post
Presence of the 7-pin connector is one indicator that you have the tow package. The other thing to check is that you have an auxiliary radiator in front of the regular one. This is the extra transmission cooler.

Chip H.
Yes, there is an aux radiator in front of the regular one. This is good news. Now, is it just the addition of the receiver?
MidniteGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 06:15 AM   #25
chiph9
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 953
Default

Yes, go ahead and buy the Lexus hitch package. You've got what you need to tow.

They sell a pintle hitch, which just attaches to a frame cross-rail. And a frame-mounted hitch. My understanding is you want the frame-mounted hitch if you intend to use a weight-distributing trailer.

Chip H.
chiph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 09:03 AM   #26
RCsGX
Lexus Champion
 
RCsGX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ★ᚱᚱ★
Posts: 1,811
Default

Pic of transcooler.: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-f...confusion.html
RCsGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-14, 08:03 AM   #27
MidniteGX
Rookie
 
MidniteGX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Way up north of the 49th
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiph9 View Post
Yes, go ahead and buy the Lexus hitch package. You've got what you need to tow.

They sell a pintle hitch, which just attaches to a frame cross-rail. And a frame-mounted hitch. My understanding is you want the frame-mounted hitch if you intend to use a weight-distributing trailer.

Chip H.
WD hitches are class III and above. Both designs of GX hitches are class IV which is over and above the trucks towing capacity. Why would it matter whether you use the tube or pintle hitch for weight distribution hitch with a max towing weight of 6500 lbs. when both are rated for 10,000 lbs?
MidniteGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-15, 08:42 AM   #28
MidniteGX
Rookie
 
MidniteGX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Way up north of the 49th
Posts: 95
Default

HELP

Just had the new receiver installed at the dealer and was told I'm ready to tow. Even though this GX had the factory tow package installed I just wanted to confirm that I had all the relays before I installed my brake controller. To my dismay, I peeled back the rear left compartment and saw this: see pics.
I thought there was supposed to be a green relay there. Is this something new? I've towed before with this GX and the pintle receiver with my utility trailer. The brake lights and the turn signals worked. Any ideas? Should I call the dealer and ask them? Would they have a clue?
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer hitch install with photos!!!-img_8879.jpg   Trailer hitch install with photos!!!-img_8880.jpg  
MidniteGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 08:22 AM   #29
mrblister
Lexus Champion
 
mrblister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pa
Posts: 2,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteGX View Post
HELP

Just had the new receiver installed at the dealer and was told I'm ready to tow. Even though this GX had the factory tow package installed I just wanted to confirm that I had all the relays before I installed my brake controller. To my dismay, I peeled back the rear left compartment and saw this: see pics.
I thought there was supposed to be a green relay there. Is this something new? I've towed before with this GX and the pintle receiver with my utility trailer. The brake lights and the turn signals worked. Any ideas? Should I call the dealer and ask them? Would they have a clue?
I have a 2004 gx470 factory installed trans cooler and factory harness . No hitch but trailer ready.

I bought a curt frame mounted hitch. I went to look and see what relays I would need if any. There was no relay installed behind the rear left tail light. I checked under the hood in the relay boxs and found no relays I ordered two from sewel and thats all I needed . I was told on certain serial numbers of teh 2004 gx470 the green relay was no longer needed. I did find a wire connector behind the tail light but the green relay would not match up to the connector. After I installed the engine compartment relays everything worked . I had bought an led 7 pin connector and plugged that into the trailer harness connector that was factory installed and all tests showed it was properly wired. The brake controller connector is under the dash on the drivers side . I did not need a brake controller for a motorcycle trailer so I did not use it. The test device that plugged in said the wiring was correct when I ran the led tests. I bought the test device from e trailer on line

Last edited by mrblister; 08-08-15 at 08:26 AM.
mrblister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-15, 11:20 AM   #30
MidniteGX
Rookie
 
MidniteGX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Way up north of the 49th
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblister View Post
I have a 2004 gx470 factory installed trans cooler and factory harness . No hitch but trailer ready.

The test device that plugged in said the wiring was correct when I ran the led tests. I bought the test device from e trailer on line
Thanks, MB. I've seen the 7 pin testers for testing the trailer lights - make's them all blink when it's plugged into the trailer harness. I didn't know there was a tester for the other connector - make's too much sense.

I've since hooked up with brake controller and lights working properly. The green relay, as you say, isn't needed on this GX. Saved me a few bucks

Btw, the 25 ft Flagstaff ( 4500# dry) and Andersen hitch pulled steady and without much sway or bounce. I still have some tweaking to do as I have to lower the hitch ball an inch. The GX rode nice and there weren't any white knuckles!. Still haven't done a fully loaded pull.
MidniteGX is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MA WTB Towing wiring kit for GX470 kphu GX460 / GX470 Classifieds 0 07-26-11 01:30 PM
New B with a GX470 SmittysGX GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) 8 09-13-10 09:39 AM
Just bought those wheels. B@tm@n IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) 19 05-06-09 10:49 PM
My Lexus IS250 Luxury. (Iceland) B@tm@n IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) 26 11-18-08 11:54 AM
Talking about a frozen IS B@tm@n IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) 33 12-08-07 06:16 AM


Tags
0892535870, 570, ackage, clublexus, code, color, hitch, install, installation, installing, lexus, lx, post, relays, tow, trailer

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:21 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved