GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

steering wheel vibration 65-70 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-10, 05:46 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks, Smitty. Takes getting used to, But i like them too. LUKE27617, Sounds like front wheel bearings if the balancing didn't work as posted by someone else.
Old 11-09-10, 12:29 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yep

All better. It was the driver's side front wheel bearing.
Old 08-01-11, 02:40 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by cdew002
Im getting the vibration again at the same 60-65 mph speed. I'm thinking wheel bearing at this point as others had replaced. Is there a way to check for a bad wheel bearing before replacing? I have an aftermarket warrnaty but dont want to pay a deductable for something that dosent cure the problem.
Old 08-01-11, 05:43 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what did it cost?
Old 08-02-11, 12:12 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
what did it cost?
Seems like the majority of bad wheel bearings are from the drivers side. Also unrelated I get clanking going over bumps but the clanking goes away if I apply my brakes over the same bumps. I did recently have 2 new calipers installed in the last 6-8 months, Any thoughts?
Old 08-02-11, 12:46 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Seems like the majority of bad wheel bearings are from the drivers side. Also unrelated I get clanking going over bumps but the clanking goes away if I apply my brakes over the same bumps. I did recently have 2 new calipers installed in the last 6-8 months, Any thoughts?
mine does the same thing, had calipers clips replaced, new calipers and rotors at the last brake job, quiet for a while, noise is back, definitley the brakes, sound goes away when i gently press the pedal...i gave up, cant hear it with the windows up. brakes work fine.
Old 08-02-11, 02:22 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by ALAN553
mine does the same thing, had calipers clips replaced, new calipers and rotors at the last brake job, quiet for a while, noise is back, definitley the brakes, sound goes away when i gently press the pedal...i gave up, cant hear it with the windows up. brakes work fine.
I was thinking caliper clips as well. Same thing here new calipers and rotors/pads. Something is loose.
Old 08-02-11, 05:42 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
I was thinking caliper clips as well. Same thing here new calipers and rotors/pads. Something is loose.
Must be the way the pads sit in there, rattle around as they wear in, let me know if you solve it.
Old 08-02-11, 06:55 PM
Edneilands
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There could be several differ reasons why you are experiencing vibration. When I replaced my tires, I started to feel some mild vibration around 65-70 mph. I thought it was due to the wheel balancing. I asked them to only install compensating weighs on the inside of the wheel, so that there would be no ugly weights hanging on the visual side (outside) of the wheels. The wheels balanced fine in free air on the machine. But when you are driving your tires are not in free air (at least not most of the time). So it could be road force variation. There may be slight tire imperfection during manufacturing that may result in “hard spots”. These “hard spots” can cause vibrations, even if the tire is balanced. Find a tire store equipped with a Hunter GSP 9700 road force balancer or similar.
Old 08-03-11, 07:12 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edneilands
There could be several differ reasons why you are experiencing vibration. When I replaced my tires, I started to feel some mild vibration around 65-70 mph. I thought it was due to the wheel balancing. I asked them to only install compensating weighs on the inside of the wheel, so that there would be no ugly weights hanging on the visual side (outside) of the wheels. The wheels balanced fine in free air on the machine. But when you are driving your tires are not in free air (at least not most of the time). So it could be road force variation. There may be slight tire imperfection during manufacturing that may result in “hard spots”. These “hard spots” can cause vibrations, even if the tire is balanced. Find a tire store equipped with a Hunter GSP 9700 road force balancer or similar.
Thank you, I may try that first. I do have an aftermarket warranty so it should cover anything that is faulty like wheel bearings etc. obviously Id pay for the road force balancing.
Old 08-10-11, 02:43 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

I took it to Lexus, and it needs the front driver side bearing replaced - I'll let you know if that fixes it... $550 bucks.
Did this fix the problem? It's driving me crazy, some days are worse than others. My vibration even gets more prevelant when braking while doing 65 mph. I have new rotors and brakes and the vibration isnt in the brake pedal just the steering wheel. Im bringing it in when i get a chance. It must be a wheel bearing or drive shaft issue. Anyone?
Old 08-12-11, 07:41 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi to all,
I'm new to GX world and too new to your community to even post any attachments with my reply. I also have the vibration between 55 and 75 mph speeds and I can feel it in the driver's floor board and low/high transfer case shifter.
Did you ever see TSIB # DL001-08 about front differencial dynamic damper?
I believe my 03 didn't have the right one on since day one and there was revision made in 2004 with TSIB ST004-04 for replacement.

Last edited by mbenz80; 08-12-11 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-12-11, 01:57 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by mbenz80
Hi to all,
I'm new to GX world and too new to your community to even post any attachments with my reply. I also have the vibration between 55 and 75 mph speeds and I can feel it in the driver's floor board and low/high transfer case shifter.
Did you ever see TSIB # DL001-08 about front differencial dynamic damper?
I believe my 03 didn't have the right one on since day one and there was revision made in 2004 with TSIB ST004-04 for replacement.
Interesting, I will check it out when I bring it in. I still think mine sounds like the front wheel bearing however I dont get the common rubbing sound. Ill advise when it gets looked at.
Old 08-25-11, 07:03 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edneilands
UPDATE: Had my wheels/tires road force balanced and it is smooth sailing so far. Had my bearings checked and they were fine, So I took it to Town Faire Tire and had all 4 wheels road force balanced and a four wheel alignment for a great price of $99 total.
Old 09-06-11, 01:18 PM
rbx10
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Rosco,

I had my wheels replace at Costco. On the original wheels though, the weight were set on the outside of the tires. However since I was looking for a cooler look, I asked Costco to put them in the inside. The guy warned me though that I could experience vibration when I reach 65-70 mph. Well guess what ? He was right on the money. Right I seem to experience the same thing you are. After my rotation, the steerign wheel does not seem to shake as much as before. I just might go back and have them put the weights outside.
I just can't stand the look though man
Good luck.

rbx10

Quick Reply: steering wheel vibration 65-70 MPH