GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

I need your advice on Flip down monitor

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 12:02 PM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I need your advice on Flip down monitor

I have ML Navigation system, but no Rear Ent. System
I am thinking to buy Rear Flip down monitor with built in DVD for my kid.
Now please correct if I am wrong from the info that I gathered:

1. Flip Down Monitor have built in DVD that plays all kind of DVDs, CD'd, MP3. So its good, I can burn my own movies?
2. It supports MP4 format and have AV output so I can connect my Iphone and play movies from my Iphone?
3. It also has USB output so I can plug in memory stick ?
4. Can you get the Volume thru your ML speakers?
5. WHat about Dome lights are they need to be relocated or I can use Dome lights that come with DVD player?
6. Do you think 20 inch will be too big?
7. If I decided to get the headrests TV can I wire all together?
Sorry for so many questions.
Thank you,
Eugene
Old 09-22-10, 12:48 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

20 inches!!!

LOL!! I guess you won't be needing the rear view mirror!
Old 09-22-10, 01:34 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^my thoughts exactly^^^

i have a 3rd party drop down DVD player and it annoys me to no end when my kids are watching a movie because i can't really see anything in the rearview mirror. my guess is mine is a 9 incher. 20 inches is a bit much.....you may want to go with something smaller.
Old 09-22-10, 01:48 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

drop downs are tacky imo. a 7in headrest monitor will be plenty big enough plus is much cleaner looking imo and yes you can wire both together
Old 09-22-10, 02:13 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree above--get them built into your headrest, they will look much better. I think there is a company that has them already built into headrest?
Old 09-22-10, 03:35 PM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Thank you everybody who replied so far. Good point I didnt even thought about rear view mirror.
Old 09-22-10, 03:51 PM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Booyah
I agree above--get them built into your headrest, they will look much better. I think there is a company that has them already built into headrest?
They do make them with built in. I think its called Vizual Logic. My problem is my son car seat is in the middle, so I dont think he will be able to see the headrest.
Old 09-22-10, 04:16 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
They do make them with built in. I think its called Vizual Logic. My problem is my son car seat is in the middle, so I dont think he will be able to see the headrest.
Based on experience in another vehilce, I second the sentiment about mirror-blocking, not too mention neck-craning to look up there for little kids. I found the Vizual Logics for decent prices on eBay. Some dealers use them when buyers go through them for a system. I know the screens tilt up an down, not sure about side to side, to help your son in the middle. Mine GX has rear entertainment, but I may still add headrest montiors, just to make sure there's a view for all. I'm picking up my GX tomorrow - is there really room for a kid seat in the middle, allowing 3d seat access on the right side?
Old 09-23-10, 07:07 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

I installed and aftermarket flipdown with dvd and I agree with everyone else...go with the headrest monitors.

Mine is 15" and is way too big already. If you do go with flipdown i'd go with a 10" or 12" probably. I just play it through fm for sound.

And trust my if you get one that large your child will have a headach watching it so close and you are limited to how far forward you can place the overhead with the sunroof in the way... good luck!

Old 09-23-10, 04:01 PM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zippinbye
Based on experience in another vehilce, I second the sentiment about mirror-blocking, not too mention neck-craning to look up there for little kids. I found the Vizual Logics for decent prices on eBay. Some dealers use them when buyers go through them for a system. I know the screens tilt up an down, not sure about side to side, to help your son in the middle. Mine GX has rear entertainment, but I may still add headrest montiors, just to make sure there's a view for all. I'm picking up my GX tomorrow - is there really room for a kid seat in the middle, allowing 3d seat access on the right side?
If you put car seat in the middle you cannot access 3rd row unfortunatly. And yes there is space for the car seat, some people preffer car seat on the sides, we prefer in the middle. What size is standard Rear Ent. system monitor? Can you tilt headrest monitor.
Old 09-23-10, 04:05 PM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sphy1005
I installed and aftermarket flipdown with dvd and I agree with everyone else...go with the headrest monitors.

Mine is 15" and is way too big already. If you do go with flipdown i'd go with a 10" or 12" probably. I just play it through fm for sound.

And trust my if you get one that large your child will have a headach watching it so close and you are limited to how far forward you can place the overhead with the sunroof in the way... good luck!

From seeing your picture now I realized 20 is way too big. What did you do with dome lights, did you remove them, or relocate them? I guess you have to remove them.
Old 09-23-10, 04:07 PM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LZMF1
^^^my thoughts exactly^^^

i have a 3rd party drop down DVD player and it annoys me to no end when my kids are watching a movie because i can't really see anything in the rearview mirror. my guess is mine is a 9 incher. 20 inches is a bit much.....you may want to go with something smaller.
Does your DVD player have AV output?
Old 09-23-10, 07:20 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

it does but i didn't do the install.....got the vehicle with it already installed. eventually i will take it out and redo it. basically run the wires properly so the A/V out will be connected to the lockpick that i installed.
Old 09-24-10, 07:59 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LZMF1
it does but i didn't do the install.....got the vehicle with it already installed. eventually i will take it out and redo it. basically run the wires properly so the A/V out will be connected to the lockpick that i installed.
Thank you.
Old 09-24-10, 09:54 AM
SmittysGX
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
Thank you.
Where in Cali are you located?

Quick Reply: I need your advice on Flip down monitor