GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Front turn signal out... it's not the bulb

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-10, 02:01 PM
Red Green
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front turn signal out... it's not the bulb

Hey everyone. The passenger side front turn signal is out, and when I replaced the bulb it didn't fix the issue.

Any known gremlins that will cause this?

Thanks!
Old 09-05-10, 03:37 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be that the bulb isn't properly set in the socket. Screw the bulb out from the light housing, let it hang down. Turn on the right turn signal, check the bulb by adding pressure (pushing it into the socket) to make sure its properly seated. If its start flashing, then problem solved.
Old 09-06-10, 07:35 AM
froger1664
Driver School Candidate

hey make sure you are looking at the right bulb. It's not the little side one as one would think but the big 1156 amber that is facing forward. Someone had a good description on how to remove it not too long ago. Go back to previous threads it even had some good pictures also.
Old 09-11-10, 10:27 AM
Red Green
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips.

It was the bulb, but I'm confused... here's what happened:

The bulb looked OK, so I put 12V on it manually in my garage with a test power source and it lit up. Hmm... it absolutely would not work installed in the vehicle. So, I tried another bulb that I keep in the glove box. Same thing: it worked with test power but not in the vehicle.

So I tried a third bulb from my toolbox, the only visible difference is that it was a white bulb, not amber. It worked. Of course I immediately swapped the amber bulb back in and it didn't work.

I bought another package of amber bulbs and they work.

Still scratching my head over this one.
Old 09-12-10, 11:13 AM
Rob Daman
Rookie

i think it's a special bulb with another resistor somehow in there. My theory is because when my turn signal was out it also made the blinker relay click much faster I'm guessing due to a blown resistor. I've never seen a blown bulb make blinker relay click like in other cars. I'm again guessing it's some sort of flag for owners that's something is wrong.
Old 09-12-10, 12:05 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rcantu
i think it's a special bulb with another resistor somehow in there. My theory is because when my turn signal was out it also made the blinker relay click much faster I'm guessing due to a blown resistor. I've never seen a blown bulb make blinker relay click like in other cars. I'm again guessing it's some sort of flag for owners that's something is wrong.
That's a feature to let drivers know that the bulb is blown...blinking faster.