GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

05/06 KDSS - w/o Sport Package? Interior Controls/Indicators?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-10, 09:10 AM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 05/06 KDSS - w/o Sport Package? Interior Controls/Indicators?

I'm back to beat a dead horse! Actually, my hunt for a 05 or 06 GX w/ KDSS is in high gear. I now realize how rare the Sport Package is, and I may not find one. But according to the factory brochure, KDSS was available as a separate option, w/o the Sport Package. I've seen comments on the forum to the contrary. Has anybody seen a "non-sport" KDSS?

So assuming KDSS can stand alone, and that some owners and dealers don't know what they have, is there anything I could see in interior photos that would indicate the presence of KDSS? Sway bar disconnect indicator, control differences, etc?
Old 09-05-10, 12:36 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Kdss

I have a KDSS – 2006 with sport package. Every KDSS vehicle I have seen has the sport package. That doesn’t mean they are all that way as I am not the expert. I looked at three KDSS used vehicles when I bought mine. The only way you could tell KDSS from the interior in my vehicle is the dash light at startup. Also, I have the dark trim in the interior, platinum wheels, smoke tails and headlights, factory stuff that is part of the sport package..

The one sure way of determining KDSS is to look at the front or rear stabilizer bar setup. It is very evident.

I have never driven a non-KDSS GX470 but I am so happy with my KDSS handling. I just got back from a week driving a 4Runner rental. Got back to the airport parking lot, got into my GX, hit the curves and thought I was in a sports car compared to the 4Runner.. Had the same experience with 2010 Camary after a week in the Rockies, Got back to my GX 470, hit the curves and could not believe the improvement in handling. Now it is not scientific but I think all of us have gotten back into our car after some time in a another and noticed things that you were used to. Brakes, handling, noise , shifting etc. KDSS rocks-Don't leave home without it.
Old 09-18-10, 09:38 AM
stl2chi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i own a non-sport package 05 with the KDDS. The do indeed exist.... However, I believe all were "special order". I had to wait 4 months from order to delivery.

To my knowledge.. As stated above. The only sure way to spot one is to look at the stabilizer bars underneath
Old 09-22-10, 09:22 AM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stl2chi
i own a non-sport package 05 with the KDDS. The do indeed exist.... However, I believe all were "special order". I had to wait 4 months from order to delivery.

To my knowledge.. As stated above. The only sure way to spot one is to look at the stabilizer bars underneath
Thanks for the feedback! I also discovered that there is a KDSS annunciator that appears for a short time when the key is turned on. Looking at the speedo six o'clock position, the lowest annunciator is "RSCA OFF." Immediately above it (and below the "VSC OFF" annunciator) there is a "KDSS" annunciator. This is the case for a 2005 at least. So now I know what to ask an owner to look for, if he is unsure whether KDSS is on-board. I have only found four Sport Package 2005-2007 GX's in the entire country. Two are gone already. There are many more that claim to have "Sport" something-a-rather, but are mistaken. A lot of folks mistake the adjustable suspension as something optional and unique.

Anybody know if the KDSS annunciatior comes on when KDSS becomes active (opposing axle forces off-road), or during a fault, or both?

I am working on a 2005 Sport Package deal today. I won't jinx it by saying anything else at the moment. Wish me luck!