GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

door key

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-10, 08:16 PM
jbw5485
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default door key

hi guys,

first off i'm new here. wife just purchased a 2004 GX 470 navi/backup camera, sun roof. white pearl. we both absolutely love the vehicle. everything about it impresses us.

this passed weekend we were headed over to some friends houses and were taking our dogs with us (miniture poodle and giant schnauzer) had them both in the rear (rear seats removed). we decided to drop by wally world real quick. both wanted to go in. i know this next part is absolutely retarded, especially considering i'm an automotive mechanic and have been fixing vehicles since i was 13......25 now.

anyway.....i figured we would leave the truck running and lock it. we have two sets of keys. so we both got out, i rolled down the drivers window reached in with the door closed and locked it back....since it has auto up windows.....hahha i rolled the window back up and she was locked up and the dogs had a/c.
got back to the truck and it wouldn't unlock with the extra key fob. so i figured i would just unlock it with the key in the drivers door....nope no go.

now that you've had your laugh with me.....on to my questions

- are the ignition key and the door key supposed to be the same?
- is there something wrong with my drivers door key cylinder? doesn't seem like it
- can i program it/have it programmed to where the extra key fob will work even though there is another key in the ignition?
-have i been shafted by the person i purchased the vehicle from and not been given the other key for the door?
- doesn't seem like there would be another key.......that wouldn't make sense.
-what should i do next time i want to leave the dogs locked in with ac? have i been having a huge brain fart and completely over looked something extremely simple?

all doors lock and theft system seems to work correctly.

to my defense i'm used to leaving my truck (2005 silverado) running with the remote start system and locking it. didn't think it would be a big deal.
anyway i called my father (also mechanic/we opperate the shop together) and he brought me the kit to break in....took no longer than 5 min.

thanks in advance for your time and responses.
Old 08-31-10, 06:15 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to have a '04 GX 470.

Whenever the wife would leave her purse in the car with her remote and key in it, I would have to lock the car with my key.

However, I would also have to unlock the car with my key. The remote would not work.

I do remember that there was a valet key that was different.

~ Cap
Old 09-01-10, 11:03 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

You normally get 3 Keys, One is with the Transmitter ( Remote Function ) The next one is without remote transmitter, ( normally this is the one should open all doors on insert. The Third key is the Wallet Key. What has happened has been the key swapped having the similar problem somewhere or another owner,or could be still there with the dealer yet. if not then the dealer who has sold the car to you has got the key and not done the right cut. You could measure with the original Transmitter key and match the cut with the key, you will know the obvious difference.
Old 09-02-10, 07:32 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Normally, when the car is running, the remote (unlock or lock function) will not work.

It is the same physical key for both ignition and door. If you have a valet key, that will not open the glove box, but I don't think GX came with valet key (it does not have remote).

Unusual, that you could not unlock the door with the key. Did you try all the doors (including the barn)? Also, did you try it afterwards (when you got home)? Do all the keys work in the locks without any problems when the car is off? Try to replicate the problem (this time with a person in the car :-) ).

Also, see if the open windows with the key function works with the engine running.
Old 09-02-10, 08:53 AM
jbw5485
Driver School Candidate

open windows with key??? did not know it had this function...please explain. thanks.

and no there is only one key hole on the exterior of the vehicle. that is the drivers door. no key hole on the passengers door nor is there a key hole on the rear gate (barn door).

yes i did try to unlock/lock the doors physically with the key in the drivers door after the key was taken out of the ignition and the car was off and unlocked......the key still did not seem to go all the way in and did not turn either way. thanks again for your help guys...

i called the lexus dealer in columbia sc....they were as confused as i am. i'm guessing something is either wrong with the door lock cylinder or it has been changed. $194 for a new one.

not sure if i mentioned before but yes both keys fobs work in the ignition and the glove box door. but neither work the driver door cylinder.
Old 09-02-10, 09:08 AM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by jbw5485

Not sure if i mentioned before but yes both keys fobs work in the ignition and the glove box door. but neither work the driver door cylinder.
JBW.....

So you don't know if the key worked before you had your problem ??

~ Cap
Old 09-02-10, 01:06 PM
jbw5485
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Capirato
JBW.....

So you don't know if the key worked before you had your problem ??

~ Cap

not following you ........nothing has changed....so no it hasn't worked since we've had the vehicle....i just didn't notice until i needed to unlock the door manually with the key.
Old 09-02-10, 07:15 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jbw5485
not following you ........nothing has changed....so no it hasn't worked since we've had the vehicle....i just didn't notice until i needed to unlock the door manually with the key.
The open/close window option is holding the unlock button on your remote for 3 seconds It will open your windows and moonroof. pretty cool.
Old 09-04-10, 08:13 AM
jbw5485
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
The open/close window option is holding the unlock button on your remote for 3 seconds It will open your windows and moonroof. pretty cool.

you got that right.. haha . i've heard of it on other vehicles but didn't realize the lexus had it. the wife thought i had lost it when i was showing her because i was so excited lmao...

any other ideas for my key problem????

oh and any other neat features i may not know about? thanks guys
Old 09-04-10, 02:27 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the windows down and moon roof open deal is cool Now if there was a way to reverse that, Now we r talking cool. Is there such a trick with these remotes?
Old 09-04-10, 06:55 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SmittysGX
Yeah the windows down and moon roof open deal is cool Now if there was a way to reverse that, Now we r talking cool. Is there such a trick with these remotes?
Actually, the reverse is to put your key in the door. Turn to lock and hold, viola, the windows/moonroof close!
Old 09-06-10, 07:58 PM
jbw5485
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redrocks
Actually, the reverse is to put your key in the door. Turn to lock and hold, viola, the windows/moonroof close!

hahah....not for me ...yet at least.