GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Roof bike rack on the GX ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 12:54 PM
prwdmd
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roof bike rack on the GX ????

I am looking at purchasing a GX in the near future and had a question about bike racks. Does anyone use a roof bike rack on their GX? How difficult is it getting a bike up there? I use a roof rack on my X5 and have no problems, but the GX is a somewhat taller SUV.

I know most people probably use a trailer rack with their GX, but I hate trailer racks... they look silly, they don't secure the bikes very well, and they can damage a carbon frame. So before I buy a GX I wanted to see how well a roof rack would work with this vehicle. Any pics would also be helpful. Thanks.

Last edited by prwdmd; 08-17-10 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 11:19 AM
UberBerzer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure how tall you are, but I'm 6'3 and wouldn't want to be lifting bikes up that high - especially after a long hard ride in GA heat/humidity I would think damaging your GX while attempting to lift bikes up that high is sure to happen. Not to mention with the GX being taller than normal cars I've had racks on, I'd worry about low branches, drive thru, pulling into garages, etc when bikes are on top.

When you mention damage to carbon frames - how so? the clamp style holders? or from banging into other bikes on the rack? I had carbon bikes years ago and never had problems with trunk mounted or trailer hitch mounted racks damaging the tubes. I curious what your experience is with damage on frames from carriers.

I realize you said hitch mounts weren't your thing, but what about something like this? Quick mount/dismount, no taking front tire off, no lifting.
http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...h/4766509.aspx
Old 08-18-10, 11:57 AM
prwdmd
Rookie

You're an inch taller than me... and that's kind of what I was thinking - that it would be difficult and a PIA especially after a long ride.

Almost all of the hitch mounts I've seen have this odd system where the bike rests on it's top tube and is tied down by rubber straps... that don't seem very secure. I once almost lost a mountain bike off a friend's hitch mount... ended up denting and scratching up the aluminum frame. The bikes seem to be able to wobble around and that could really scratch up the clear coat on the carbon frame of a road bike. If there is any kind of clamp touching the frame and you get the least bit of dirt between the two... you will get scratches. The reason that I'm partial to roof mount is that I use a Thule Peloton which mounts to the fork - it is most secure way to mount a bike and nothing touches the frame. Another reason that I don't like hitch mounts is that they limit access to the rear trunk space where most people keep all their gear. The mount you have referenced in your link may be a decent compromise.
Old 08-18-10, 07:12 PM
MWalker
Driver School Candidate

These racks are awesome - mount to the fork and nothing touches the frame...

http://www.hollywoodracks.com/hitch-...hitch-rack.htm
Old 08-18-10, 09:49 PM
yutahay
Driver School Candidate

Default No Problem-let Yakima hook you up

My 08 GX470 has a yakima rack on top and it's no problem getting bikes up there. I've been traveling to Triathlons since 1984 with roof mounted racks and never had any problems as long as you make sure they are securely mounted and the skewer levers are tight. I admit to not tightening a front wheel once and saw it roll off at 65 mph in the rear view mirror. Fortunately it didn't cause any accidents. My preference is to use racks that have you remove the front wheel and mount the front fork directly to the rack. It lowers the height of the bike and makes the vehicle more aero. Always get the locking cores and locking skewer levers also. With a little practice and or help you should be able to get the bike up there and not damage anything. Stand on the side rail or door jam if necessary or even have someone stand behind you and hold you while putting it up ther for the first time. Measure the overall height and write it on a post it note which you place on the inside whindshield to remind you it's up there and so you know your clearance for fast food drive thrus. My other vehicle with a rack is a 95 Trooper and it has a 4in lift on it now which makes it a little more challenging but I'm 59, 6'4" and still able to get it up there. I use to love seeing our Santana Tandem on our 535is BMW. Bikes rack are cool man. Yakima is a great company and they're very helpful.
Old 08-19-10, 07:05 AM
prwdmd
Rookie

Yutahay: Do you by any chance have any pics of your GX with the bikes on top? Would love to see how that looks on your ride.

MWalker: That is a nice solution... now if I could easily just take the whole thing off when not in use that would be great. How difficult are the hitch mounts to remove? Top mounts are a pain... take about 10-15 minutes to assemble or disassemble so I leave mine on all season.
Old 08-19-10, 05:36 PM
MWalker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by prwdmd
MWalker: That is a nice solution... now if I could easily just take the whole thing off when not in use that would be great. How difficult are the hitch mounts to remove? Top mounts are a pain... take about 10-15 minutes to assemble or disassemble so I leave mine on all season.
Just buy yourself a locking receiver pin, then unlock, pull pin, loosen the rack (it has a tightening or anti-wobble system) and it slides right out.

Seriously, it takes about 1 minute.

Best hitch mount rack I have ever seen (I have owned/used one for about 10 years also and it is rock solid as well.)
Old 08-20-10, 09:28 AM
yutahay
Driver School Candidate

Default Santana Stylus bike on top of Gx

I've added some pics of my bike on top the GX. This is the first time I've used factory oval cross bars and the one main downside is that you can't swivel the front tire holder down when not in use as is possible with round crossbars. So you have to take it on an off each trip unless you like listening to a giant tuning fork above 55mph. The front tire mount has one spacer in the front to secure it on oval bar and two nut/bolts holding it to the bar. Good luck and happy riding.
Attached Thumbnails Roof bike rack on the GX ????-p8200020.jpg   Roof bike rack on the GX ????-p8200024.jpg   Roof bike rack on the GX ????-p8200025.jpg