GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2008 GX rear suspension leaning issue...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-21, 07:47 AM
kwkshift
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2008 GX rear suspension leaning issue...

Hello all. I noticed recently that the truck is tilted towards the drivers side. I measured the height of the truck with the suspension set in Neutral, and the drivers side is about 2" lower than the passenger side. The bags are newer and the system has no leaks. I attempted to adjust the sensors to level out the truck by moving the adjusters in the slots on the upper arm brackets, adjusting the threaded adjusters and opened up the sensors themselves to look for corrosion. The insides of the sensors looked new, but I cleaned the contacts on the wiper as well as the cover plate contact areas with alcohol, just to be sure. I reassembled everything and it still is leaning by the same 2".

When I would manipulate the sensors by hand, with the truck running, it would activate the compressor or the release valve, depending on the direction I manipulated the sensor. I occasionally tow a car trailer and don't do any offroading, so I'd like to keep the air system. Do I just need new sensors? If so, where should I purchase them from?

Thanks!
Old 03-26-21, 02:15 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

The standard is for the left/right sides to be within 10mm of each other. A difference of 2" is extreme.
Look to make sure both air springs are seated correctly, and one isn't half out of the perch.

You can use Techstream to measure the output of the sensors. There is also a procedure that uses three D cells and a voltmeter. Or you can just adjust one sensor up a little and the other side down a little to get it to where it looks right.

Measure by going from the wheel hub to the fender lip, to exclude tire wear & inflation differences. Be sure to measure when:
  • You're parked on a level surface
  • The transmission is in neutral
  • The parking brake is off (make sure it doesn't roll away!)
  • Any gear and people have been removed from the vehicle
  • Gas should be above 1/2 full
Chip H.
Old 03-27-21, 08:58 AM
kwkshift
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
The standard is for the left/right sides to be within 10mm of each other. A difference of 2" is extreme.
Look to make sure both air springs are seated correctly, and one isn't half out of the perch. I looked at this and both are seated.

You can use Techstream to measure the output of the sensors. There is also a procedure that uses three D cells and a voltmeter. Or you can just adjust one sensor up a little and the other side down a little to get it to where it looks right.
I adjusted them as much as possible, already.

Measure by going from the wheel hub to the fender lip, to exclude tire wear & inflation differences. Be sure to measure when:
  • You're parked on a level surface
  • The transmission is in neutral
  • The parking brake is off (make sure it doesn't roll away!)
  • Any gear and people have been removed from the vehicle
  • Gas should be above 1/2 full
Chip H.
I just went ahead and ordered new sensors. Moving to a standard suspension setup would be cheap and easy, but I use this to tow car trailers on occasion, so the air suspension is great to have.
Old 03-27-21, 07:21 PM
BOFF
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep us updated on the sensors and if it fixed the issue.

God Bless,
David B.
Old 03-31-21, 07:24 AM
kwkshift
Driver School Candidate

Well, crap. I installed the new sensors and it's the same result. The DS is 2" lower than the PS. I've adjusted each sensor individually and no matter what, the difference is there.

I tried disconnecting the the battery for about 10-15 minutes to see if that would have an effect, but it didn't.

With the suspension on High, the difference is about 1". With it on Low, it's about 1.5" different. And in the Normal mode, it's 2".

Any other ideas?

Last edited by kwkshift; 03-31-21 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-31-21, 08:17 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by kwkshift
Well, crap. I installed the new sensors and it's the same result. The DS is 2" lower than the PS. I've adjusted each sensor individually and no matter what, the difference is there.

I tried disconnecting the the battery for about 10-15 minutes to see if that would have an effect, but it didn't.

With the suspension on High, the difference is about 1". With it on Low, it's about 1.5" different. And in the Normal mode, it's 2".

Any other ideas?
If memory serves me, the compressor has a single outlet, so there's got to be a valve somewhere that directs air to one bag or the other, right? I'd locate that valve and make sure it's functioning properly, and carefully inspect the air line from that valve to the low airbag looking for leaks/cracks. Soapy water is your friend here.
Old 03-31-21, 08:55 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

these are the measuring points for ride height, you cant rely on the ground or the top of the fender, center of the wheel, center of rear control arm

Old 03-31-21, 02:31 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

According to this video, there aren't separate left/right solenoids in the valve assembly, but a leveling solenoid and a gate solenoid. The gate solenoid controls left/right air passage.
I would check those solenoids - make sure the gate solenoid's coil isn't open (has a resistance value greater than 0 ohms)

Chip H.

The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (04-01-21)
Old 04-01-21, 08:19 PM
dblshock
Driver

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

run at 1/2 tank or less and the situation will improve.
Old 04-09-21, 05:18 AM
kwkshift
Driver School Candidate

Well, I drove it around for a day and it looks like somewhere in there time, the system figured itself out. It's now nearly level, only being about 1/2" different from side to side. That's good enough for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by kwkshift:
chiph9 (04-09-21), IanB2 (04-09-21)
Old 04-10-21, 02:10 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
According to this video, there aren't separate left/right solenoids in the valve assembly, but a leveling solenoid and a gate solenoid. The gate solenoid controls left/right air passage.
I would check those solenoids - make sure the gate solenoid's coil isn't open (has a resistance value greater than 0 ohms)

Chip H.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w72gjhcE-WI
open would be infinite ohms, short would be near zero.

Old 04-10-21, 05:47 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Dammit.
Thanks.
Chip H.