GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus GX470 vs. Acura MDX

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-02, 08:34 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lexus GX470 vs. Acura MDX

Hi Gang,
I'm new to the forum but not new to Lexus. We currently own an 1999 RX300 and a 2000 ES300. I have already put down a (refundable) deposit on an Acura MDX when I came across a thread discussing this new Lexus GX470 in (ironically) the www.acuramdx.org forum . Now I am thinking of cancelling my order on the Acura and upping my sights a bit for the Lexus. Can anyone do a quick rundown on the differences between the two? Had any of you considered the MDX before you decided to go with the Lexus? I do recognize vicpai from the aforementioned thread at www.acuramdx.org it would appear vic has definitely jumped ship!
Old 07-01-02, 07:39 AM
SteveD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bareyb,
My wife and I will be buying an SUV at the end of the year and are currently considering the GX470 and the Volvo XC90. We have deposits down on both of them. The MDX is also on our list but is currently a distant third. We currenlty own an Audi A4 and lease a Nissan Maxima. We have a six month old son and the Maxima just doesn't have the space we need. The Maxima comes off lease in November (we have already extended it two months) so we want to replace it with an SUV.

My brother-in-law just purchased an MDX. Having taken it for a spin yesterday, I was impressed by its smooth ride and good handling. It also has a lot of utility (e.g. lots of cargo space for a mid-sized SUV and third row seats that fold into the floor). However, I think the interior is somewhat cheap looking with the use of low quality plastic around the dashboard and fake wood (a pet peave of mine). I reminds me the the Maxmia interior which is okay but not as nice as our A4. I also thought the seats were on the hard side and I'm not a fan of the perforated leather. In addition, the MDX does not have all of the safety features (e.g. traction control) that the GX470 and XC90 will have - although I'm sure the MDX is a very safe vechicle.

I haven't seen any detailed specs for the GX470 yet. However, I did see it earlier in the year at the NY auto show. I liked the GX470's looks (both inside and outside) and it appears as though the cargo space will be about equal to the MDX. However, the third row seats will not fold into the floor and the rear door will swing out; rather than open up.

The GX470 will have body-on-frame construction (similar to the LX470) vs. unibody construction for the MDX and XC90. The GX470 will also have an 8 cylinder engine and will probably have the lowest MPG of the three.

From what I have been told, the GX470 will carry a base price in the high-40's. However, the first units to be delivered here (starting in 12/02) will likely be fully loaded and will therefore probably run in the low 50's.

You may also want to check out the XC90. It will have two engine options here in the U.S. with the cost of the larger engined version expected to be in the high 40's (including options). The XC90 is currently at the top of our list, but we are somewhat concerned about realibility issues - particularly because it will be a first year model.
Old 07-06-02, 04:08 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

BareyB,

If you look closely at the thread on Acuramdx.org, you will see my points regarding the comparison between the two SUVs. I believe they are in a different class. If money is of no object, then the GX470 is a CLEAR winner. There is no question. However, if money is tight, then you will be forced to make a decision between the MDX (w/ touring package) and the BASE GX470...with a price difference of about 5-6 grand.

The GX470 is going to be such an awesome SUV that it will likely be more desirable than the LX470. Hopefully, Toyota has not "cheapen" the GX to keep its price low (like using suspension parts from Sequoia or NOT using fully-boxed frames). The reason for my fear is that it will share it's platform with the new '03 4Runner (new Tacoma also??).

In defense of this is that the GX will also share it's foundation with the Toyota Prado, which has a good tradition of off-roading.

Well, until i get to see it first-hand, all of the above is pure speculation.

For me, i am deciding between the GX470 and the '03 Land Rover Discovery. FYI, i have tried to save the best links for these two vehicles at the following link:

http://www.gocrvclub.org/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4

Thanks.
Old 07-10-02, 09:00 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Talking Hello there!!

Originally posted by bareyb
I do recognize vicpai from the aforementioned thread at www.acuramdx.org it would appear vic has definitely jumped ship!
.......you could say that I've pretty much jumped ship.......the only thing that is still keeping me from eliminating the MDX from my purchasing decision, is the Acura Navigation System.......in all other respects, IMHO the GX wins hands down and is worth every single penny over the MDX (to be honest, I believe it's an even better value.....for the ton of extra features it offers......just the Lexus service and superior quality of interior materials (much better leather, real wood etc. etc.) is enough to make up the difference.....The overall ruggedness combined with the sophistication of the suspension in achieving a plush ride goes further to enhance it's value, not to mention a far better sounding Stereo (and I'm not even talking of the optional Audiophile craving Mark Levinson system)!!! and from a safety perspective VSC, Brake Assist, and Side-Curtain Airbags, not available on the MDX, are offered.......Beyond this, if you're willing to cough up the extra dough there's plenty of stuff from HIDs, Rain sensing wipers, Mark Levinson, to an adaptive height adjustable suspension available which are not available on the MDX, at any price!!

......so bottom line is I'm going to think this Navi thing out real carefully and if I'm satisfied that the Lexus Navi is 85-90% as good, the choice will pretty much be a no brainer

Last edited by vicpai; 07-10-02 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-10-02, 11:15 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Default Re: Hello there!!

Originally posted by vicpai

.......you could say that I've pretty much jumped ship.......the only thing that is still keeping me from eliminating the MDX from my purchasing decision, is the Acura Navigation System....

so bottom line is I'm going to think this Navi thing out real carefully and if I'm satisfied that the Lexus Navi is 85-90% as good, the choice will pretty much be a no brainer
Is the Acura system really that much better? I had heard the graphics and speed of the Lexus system is superior but they handicap themselves by not allowing you to work with it while driving... On the other hand with the Acura system you have to WAIT for 30 seconds while they cover their legal butts with some message, and press "okay" every friggin' time you start the car AND you can't use any of the A/C control functions during that period... I think that would get very old...

I also read somewhere that Lexus might be adding voice command to the navigation system? If true, then maybe that will allow you to "hands free" control it while driving and thus take away that one negative. I also like that you can choose a freeway offramp as a location with the Lexus. At any rate, the navi in the MDX is definitely cool. I too am leaning towards the Lexus though. The MDX is a nice looking vehicle, but the more I look at it, the more it's kinda got the "cheeky" thing going. Not nearly to the extent that most of the other carbased units, but it's still kinda there... I see alot of young Kids in the MDX's (not that there's anything wrong with that). The Lexus is classier IMO and a bit more "mature". I'm 42 so maybe I'm just thinking like an old fart. I don't know... I feel like the GX is kind of a nice cross between the "trucks" and the "tall wagons" in styling.

Question for vicpai. Vic, you have driven the LX470. Do you feel it has some pretty decent "punch" off the line? With all that torque at low rpm, I imagine it must do pretty well even if it does weigh a ton. I am thinking the GX with so much less weight might really have some git up and go... What do you think?
Old 07-20-02, 01:04 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Arrow Here's my take on this.....

Originally posted by bareyb
Question for vicpai. Vic, you have driven the LX470. Do you feel it has some pretty decent "punch" off the line? With all that torque at low rpm, I imagine it must do pretty well even if it does weigh a ton. I am thinking the GX with so much less weight might really have some git up and go... What do you think?
Yes, I've driven the LX 470 extensively (I rented a 2002 model for 2 days twice from Midway Car Rental here in L.A., just to get a feel for it - From my perception, the vehicle had an amazing level of "of-the-line-punch" considering it's weight. It had a "surge" of power, even more than the MDX (I've driven an MDX extensively as well).......however, at freeway speed the MDX feels a bit more powerful..........Another point I would like to make is the LX 470's UNBELIEVABLE LEVEL OF INTERIOR QUIETNESS......Even at high speeds it was extremely serene and quiet in there. In fact when Car and Driver tested an LX 470 they rated it the QUIETEST VEHICLE THEY'VE EVER TESTED (even quieter than the LS 400 sedan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Now the kicker is the LX's handling......it felt AMAZINGLY nimble, manuverable and "tight" in turns for it's heft (firmest setting on the adaptive suspension), and just very slightly less capable than the MDX - dare I say almost sportscar-like? ..........RIDE COMFORT is a completely different story. It's quite a bit superior to the MDX and felt far more "supple" and plush, even in the rear!, especially on the "softest" suspension setting!........On the contrary, the MDX's ride tends to be very firm and you can feel all the expansion joints on the freeway as well as the potholes on surface streets.

Is the Acura system really that much better? I had heard the graphics and speed of the Lexus system is superior but they handicap themselves by not allowing you to work with it while driving... On the other hand with the Acura system you have to WAIT for 30 seconds while they cover their legal butts with some message, and press "okay" every friggin' time you start the car AND you can't use any of the A/C control functions during that period... I think that would get very old...

I also read somewhere that Lexus might be adding voice command to the navigation system? If true, then maybe that will allow you to "hands free" control it while driving and thus take away that one negative. I also like that you can choose a freeway offramp as a location with the Lexus. At any rate, the navi in the MDX is definitely cool.
You're absolutely correct on this one - The calculating speed of the MDX's Nav is it's biggest deficiency, whereas the Lexus unit is lightning-fast......and graphics are also better in the Lexus system.......However, you do have to wait for the disclaimers in the Lexus as well ..........and yes, if Lexus added voice recognition, it would eliminate that defeciency of being inoperative while driving.....and I think the GX will have this feature (the new ES 300 already has voice recognition)

........Now, where the Lexus Navi really lags behind Acura is in it's database coverage of POINTS-OF-INTEREST........Not only are Acura's very up-to-date, but they have over 4 MILLION business listings across the United States (Practically like having the Yellow pages/White Pages of every major metro area stored in the Navi)..........Find yourself in a strange neighborhood and want to find the Nearest Circuit City or Radio Shack??....No problem with the Acura system......How about 10 of the nearest Real Estate Agents or Mortgage Brokers sorted by distance??........again, no problem........How about the Nearest 7 Greek Restaurants........Yup, you'll find them!!.....none of this is possible with the Lexus/Kenwood/Denso Units.......I found the very logical and high level of categorization of the listings as well as the sheer size of the database an EXTREMELY USEFUL advantage, during my brief 9-month ownership of my 2000 Acura 3.2TL/Navi, which was stolen .........another useful feature the Acura has over the Lexus is a PHONE NUMBER SEARCH for any of the 4 million + listings (just enter the number and all the relevant info pops up)..........Besides this, I find the Lexus Navi has quite a number of database inaccuracies with reference to streets as well as obsolete data with reference to Points-of -Interest, compared to the Acura system......However, LOCATIONAL accuracy and MAP MATCHING (snapping to the correct street) was a bit better than Acura's ............Overall, considering all of this, I would say the Lexus unit is a close second, behind Acura's system.

I too am leaning towards the Lexus though. The MDX is a nice looking vehicle, but the more I look at it, the more it's kinda got the "cheeky" thing going. Not nearly to the extent that most of the other carbased units, but it's still kinda there... I see alot of young Kids in the MDX's (not that there's anything wrong with that). The Lexus is classier IMO and a bit more "mature". I'm 42 so maybe I'm just thinking like an old fart. I don't know... I feel like the GX is kind of a nice cross between the "trucks" and the "tall wagons" in styling.
Personally, I would think the Lexus is more "younger feeling" and less "soccer-momish". I'm 28 years old and feel the RUGGED-TRUCK-LIKE-OUTDOORSY nature of the GX is far more youth-oriented than the MINIVAN-ROOTS-SOCCER-MOM nature of the MDX

Bottom line, from what I've experienced with an LX, I think the GX is going to be a real fun-to-drive quick and exciting machine (considering it's 800 whopping pounds lighter than an LX, while being 5bhp more with the same torque as well as the fact that it's also going to be much more aerodynamic because it's a bit lower and a much newer design than the LX

Last edited by vicpai; 07-20-02 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-20-02, 01:25 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

So really it sounds like the main advantage of the MDX is the navigation system and in my case the better designed 3rd row seat (we have a Kid with another on the way). Most folks are citing the handling and the styling of the MDX as an advantage too, but I'm not so sure I agree.

Handling: The extra wide width made the MDX kind of a hassle to manuever as I recall. Even the car salesman had a hard time getting it out to the street. Compared to my RX300 the MDX also has poor suspension characteristics. You can definitely feel the bumps more and I don't agree it's "more responsive with road feel" either. To me it was just stiffer and bigger. I feel if the LX is THAT close in handling and ride quality already then a smaller lighter GX will probably at least match it and may surpass it.

Styling: I think the GX is more masculine than the MDX. I disagree they are "boring". To me they scream high quality and are a nice cross between the mini van SUV look and the more traditional Truck look. The MDX is very nice looking, but I can't help but feel it still looks alot like a SUV wannabe. More like a Soccer Mom car. Still of all the new vanlike unibody SUV's I think it's the best looking. It's looks are at the expense of any real protection for the sides and doors though. The sheet metal is also paper thin on the MDX's, not very smart considering they opted to leave the side mouldings off and provided no body cladding of any kind. It's also bizarre they didn't include a skid plate.

All in all, I'm leaning towards the Lexus by a margin. The customer service I've recieved with our RX deserves nothing less than repeat business. It's been that good. So unless they are vastly disappointing in person vs. the pictures, I will probably go with the Lexus.

Last edited by bareyb; 07-20-02 at 01:26 PM.