GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Considering a high-mileage used 2003 gx470--advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 11:58 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Considering a high-mileage used 2003 gx470--advice

I am looking at a 2003 GX470 with 100-105k miles on the clock.

Owner is asking for 16k for the car. 1 owner, female-driven.

Timing belt done but not the water pump

Are there things I need to look out for?
What do you think is a fair price?
When do the suspension items go bad for the gx470?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-05-10, 10:25 PM
Bob GX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the car look like it's been well cared for - or is it showing the miles & years.

IMO the 'trouble' with any model Lexus is the expense of repairs - especially if you live in an area without several dealers or some good independent shops that specialize in Toyota & Lexus.

It also depends on your ability to pay for repairs if/when they are needed. Seems like there are GXs out there with a lot less miles for not a whole lot more money - have you been able to shop for other cars to get an idea about condition of the car and price?

None of that really answers your question - most owners don't seem to have lots off GX problems, but things do come up - if you read up on this forum you'll find things like air suspension, warped rotors, radiator, driveline thump, etc. You don't see lots of engine or transmission problems, or electrical issues.

There aren't many GXs that old or high miles yet - so not much info of hat to expect if you drive it to the 200,000 mile mark.

You should consider taking it to a Lexus dealer and asking them to do the inspection they would do if they took it in trade and were going to resell it as a 'Certified' car - that will tell you a lot about the car, how it is to work with your dealer, and what to expect in the way of expense if/when you take it in for work.

Basically GXs are great cars - but take the time to make sure you are getting a good one & that you're paying a fair price. If you get one you will like it!
Old 05-05-10, 11:46 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks

In my area there are a lot of 2004 with 60-80k miles for $20k-23k and a few 2005s for 25k-32k.

Not a lot start with a 1 in the price tag

As for the wear & tear, everything looks ok. The front seats look a little worn when some cracking

Last edited by werewolf; 05-05-10 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-06-10, 07:26 AM
hammer0008
Rookie

I got a 2007.5 for 30500$ with 40000miles. I believe that is the sweet spot because a 2008 was going for over 40000$. The trick is to put a deposit on the car asap before others when it comes out and inspect it yourself b4 taking it home.
Old 05-06-10, 11:41 AM
eddyprice
Driver School Candidate

I recently finished a 3 month search for a GX, looking in the western US so I think that I have a pretty good idea of pricing. If the GX you're considering has a good body history, is in good condition and has been well maintained, esp dealer maintained, and had the 90K service the price seems fair & good. Fair price depends on a lot of aspects - including maintenance items that might be needed - breaks, tire condition, etc.

Lexus techs I've talked with seem to agree that the water pump does not need preventative replacing until 180K, along with the second change of the t-belt.

For things to check for that could be expensive look to see if the transfer case actuator has been replaced or is currently leaking. The repair can be expensive - $1,500, possibly less expensive with replacement of the "O" ring only. Also the radiators are prone to develop small leaks which require replacement. You can read about both of these issues on the forum.

Good luck!
Old 05-06-10, 12:24 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eddyprice
I recently finished a 3 month search for a GX, looking in the western US so I think that I have a pretty good idea of pricing. If the GX you're considering has a good body history, is in good condition and has been well maintained, esp dealer maintained, and had the 90K service the price seems fair & good. Fair price depends on a lot of aspects - including maintenance items that might be needed - breaks, tire condition, etc.

Lexus techs I've talked with seem to agree that the water pump does not need preventative replacing until 180K, along with the second change of the t-belt.

For things to check for that could be expensive look to see if the transfer case actuator has been replaced or is currently leaking. The repair can be expensive - $1,500, possibly less expensive with replacement of the "O" ring only. Also the radiators are prone to develop small leaks which require replacement. You can read about both of these issues on the forum.

Good luck!
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. If you wouldn't mind sharing, I would love to pick your brain on pricing. I really wanted a KDSS / sports package GX470 but I can't find one under 25k (My budget only really extends to 20k)

In my neck of woods (socal) private party asking prices are equal to or more than dealer pricing. Any pointers appreciated!
Old 05-07-10, 12:28 PM
eddyprice
Driver School Candidate

From what I've seen the lowest you can usually get a 2005 sport package for is $23.5-24.5 with about 75k miles. There are not too many sport package GX's so it is more difficult to get a good sense of bottom pricing. That's what I've found. Cars in the eastern US seem to be priced that way. You will have to look regionally and be patient. With a budget of 20K it is more realistic to look for a 2004 with 75K miles. There's an 04 on the PHX craigslist right now for that.

Let me know if you have other questions. Good luck & be patient - you'll find something good.
Old 05-07-10, 03:15 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Maybe you should start looking at V8 Limited 4Runners with XReas I've never been one to look at the name, usually it's the powertrain followed by the skin and reputation that wins me over
Old 05-07-10, 07:06 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Maybe you should start looking at V8 Limited 4Runners with XReas I've never been one to look at the name, usually it's the powertrain followed by the skin and reputation that wins me over
I would but the wife has gotten used to the Lexus interiors...
Old 05-07-10, 09:56 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
You're right, the basics elements of the powertrain are the same between the t4r v8s and the gx. however:

FWIW the XREAS suspension on the tr4 sport is a very different setup than the KDSS on the GX.

KDSS: thicker anti-sway bars that can "detatch" at lower speeds for better articulation. Net: better on-road handling, and better articulation off-road. I've yet to hear of a failure. Watch, now mine will fail tomorrow

XREAS: diagonally-linked shocks via hydraulics -- a system very similar to the DRC setup Audi uses in its RS line (RS4 and RS6). Primary benefit is less "pitch" fore/aft when braking+cornering. FWIW, *very* problem prone in both the Audis and the T4r, and a PITA to service.