GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Here's How To change Front Right turn signal bulb (with photos) in your Lexus GX470

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 06:04 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by pjarvis
You can find these in the amber LED version for $15 on Amazon made by JDM.
FROM JDM website.

Note: you might need to add 50W 6-Ohm load resistors or change flash rely to prevent the LED bulbs from hyper flashing
Old 05-10-16, 06:37 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Awesome Tutorial/ DIY

Thanks for the helpful video tutorial. By no means it was easy as i totally got my both hands stuck while changing the passenger side Turn Signal and couldn't move LOL.. May be a thin build and short height does have its advantages once you are under the car. Also because of that situation i did have to grab the bulb with my bare hands which i read is a big no no.

Total Time taken to replace both bulbs was around 20 minutes.

I changed the bulbs to Sylvania 1156 A LL as i couldn't wait for the original part 9098115022 which costs $10.45 for each bulb. May be the original is the better as it lasted good 8 years on the GX. If these go out i will replace them with Originals.
Old 05-10-16, 11:24 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by sheikhmax
Thanks for the helpful video tutorial. By no means it was easy as i totally got my both hands stuck while changing the passenger side Turn Signal and couldn't move LOL.. May be a thin build and short height does have its advantages once you are under the car. Also because of that situation i did have to grab the bulb with my bare hands which i read is a big no no.

Total Time taken to replace both bulbs was around 20 minutes.

I changed the bulbs to Sylvania 1156 A LL as i couldn't wait for the original part 9098115022 which costs $10.45 for each bulb. May be the original is the better as it lasted good 8 years on the GX. If these go out i will replace them with Originals.
touching the glass in a standard bulb is not an issue, its about the oil from fingers and the heat from a Halogen bulb that the glass becomes vulnerable...
Old 08-01-16, 01:01 PM
Im1406
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone use this Front Turn Signal/DRL LED adapter from iJDMtoy? It looks like they have done the splicing of the wires for you. I don't like cutting into the stock wiring so these would be right up my alley.

Old 08-01-16, 06:43 PM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Im1406 for the photo you posted earlier today showing that new adapter with the resistor already soldered inline.

I just ordered that adapter you posted today. I was having issues with the resistor that I crimped onto the driver side LED light bulb in our GX470, and the blinker started to blink fast which means my crimped resistor connection failed again, so rather than start messing around with more crimping of cheap connectors onto the headlight wires, I ordered the part you mentioned above just now:

1156 3156 7440 Hyper Flash Fix Error Free Wiring Adapters For LED Turn Signal Lights" as you posted above.

I selected the 1156 option, since this should be the correct option for our Lexus GX470. It was only $15.99 so I figure if it doesn't work, I didn't bet the farm on it.

Here is the link to this LED wiring adapter on their web site: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/1156-3156-7...-flash-fix.htm

I will report back here when the adapter arrives and let everyone know how it works.
Old 08-01-16, 07:19 PM
Im1406
Driver School Candidate

I'm hoping they work. I would really like to get the switchback bulbs for the front turn signal/DRL's.
Old 10-20-16, 12:41 PM
BillitZky
Rookie

Purchased the bulbs as it shown and replaced it, welllaaa!! Great!
Thank you.
Old 01-12-17, 07:50 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ahhhhh after 9 years my left turn signal bulb dies lol---time to grab a pack of 1156 and do both of them!!
Old 02-26-17, 02:22 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I got my left turn arrow on dashboard blinking at twice as faster. Just realized that my left one shot after 13 years. Going to grab a pair of 1156A LL. Seems to be the easiest way.
Old 02-27-17, 10:30 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

i did my front left a few weeks ago using this tutorial.. thanks..
Old 03-04-17, 08:05 AM
bygbyrrd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked out this thread after I noticed my blinker light flashing quickly. I changed the bulb from the top. As long you don't mind working by feel, replacing the bulb from the top was a cinch. I keep the extra bulb in the console which I will probably never use.
Old 08-17-17, 06:18 PM
HeavyD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excellent instructions!

Thank you Jeff. This was very easy to do with your detailed instructions. Being 5 ft 3 female it was a bit of a reach. You're awesome!

Originally Posted by JeffO
Hi all, I wanted to give you this quick tutorial on how to change the front right turn signal bulb for your Lexus GX470. There's a lot of back and forth on the forums, with people adding way too much confusion, so I wrote this guide with photos for you so there is no mistake. This will take you less than 5 minutes.

My tips apply to my 2004 GX470. They may or may not apply to your year, and you better verify the correct bulb for your vehicle, don’t just go by what I have here.

First, many people are telling you to waste 20 minutes undoing the plastic shield around the engine compartment and work from above. NOT NECESSARY! You change the light bulb easily from below in a few minutes!

Warning: Always bring your bulb with you to buy a new one! Many auto parts stores online, when I looked up the part, show an incorrect 3157 part number, whose bulb does not even look close to being correct. Always trust what you know.

The turn signal light bulb you need for a 2004 Lexus GX470 is called 1156A

it is a standard bulb, amber in color, most auto parts places sell it. I bought my bulb, shown below at Pep Boys, 2 bulbs for $3.99. Forget paying the dealer $50-$100 for this job that you can do in 5 minutes. Note how the bulb in my package has the letters “LL” at the end. IT means Long Life. If you can get this designation, go for it.

Now you can see the close-up of your bulb below. Notice it has 2 little nipples on it, this means it will slide down a channel in the connector, then twist at the bottom to lock into place.

How to change the turn signal bulb:

1) Lie down on your back just underneath your front right bumper, below the headlight. I just rested my head on a mover’s dolly. Now look up behind the headlight assembly, as shown in my photo below, and you’ll see 3 connectors on the back of the headlight assembly. You will focus on the gray one in the middle as shown in the photo here:

2) Reach up toward that gray connector, your arm will be reaching up a bit. The connector has winglets for you to grasp it. Now grab that connector, and twist it counterclockwise about 1/4 turn until it loosens, then pull out the connector as shown in this photo below:

3) There’s your turn signal bulb! Now twist the bulb first, THEN once you have twisted it loose, you may pull it out of the socket. If you find it hard to hold the socket while twisting the bulb loose, then use pliars or Robo Grips to hold the socket steady, then use your other hand to loosen the bulb.

4) Now here is your loose socket hanging. That’s my flashlight on lower right corner of the photo:

Here is another zoomed out shot of the socket hanging down:

5) Now take your new bulb, and align the little nipples on the bottom of the bulb to the channels on the connector. Then slide the bulb down the into the connector, and twist the bulb clockwise to lock it into place. Now reach up to re-connect the bulb and connector back onto the rear of the headlight assembly as shown below:

6) Now insert the bulb back into the hole on the rear of the headlight assembly, and twist the gray connector until it’s all locked into place. That’s it, you’re done! See photo below:

Now wasn’t that a lot easier than undoing a bunch of plastic fasteners in the engine compartment? Congratulations, you just saved yourself at least $50.

Now PayPal me $10 of that! LOL!

I’ll open up the floor to questions now.

Jeff
Old 01-01-18, 06:37 PM
fozzir
Driver School Candidate

Nice instructions. The guide says almost an hour worth of labor! With your instructions I did it in 5 mins!
Old 01-02-18, 10:25 AM
ALAN553
Racer

whats with that front right turn signal bulb has like a 2 year life expectancy...too many right turns???
Old 01-02-18, 01:39 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

It's also used as your DRL so it's on most of the time. You really want to buy the "LL" version if you can find them.

Chip H.

Quick Reply: Here's How To change Front Right turn signal bulb (with photos) in your Lexus GX470