GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Toyota Price - Diff Fluids, Xfer Case and Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-10, 02:09 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Toyota Price - Diff Fluids, Xfer Case and Transmission

In case anyone is interested in pricing from Toyota for this service,,, w/53k mi on my '05 GX, today I had my local Toyota dealer change the Transmission fluid, front/read diff fluids, transfer case, lube the drive shaft etc, torque down the bolts all for $406. Plus they always seem to have have a coupon discount on their website which will save me another 15% for a new grand total of $346.
Old 03-27-10, 09:16 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
In case anyone is interested in pricing from Toyota for this service,,, w/53k mi on my '05 GX, today I had my local Toyota dealer change the Transmission fluid, front/read diff fluids, transfer case, lube the drive shaft etc, torque down the bolts all for $406. Plus they always seem to have have a coupon discount on their website which will save me another 15% for a new grand total of $346.
The tranny service alone is $450 at my Lexus dealer!

Great price from your Toyota dealer.
Old 03-31-10, 03:01 PM
JohnJerk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know if that was a complete replacement of all ~15 quarts of trans fluid or did they just drain the pan and refill (5 quarts or so)? The World Standard fluid is super expensive (maybe $10 a quart) as I recall.
Old 03-31-10, 07:10 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnJerk
Do you know if that was a complete replacement of all ~15 quarts of trans fluid or did they just drain the pan and refill (5 quarts or so)? The World Standard fluid is super expensive (maybe $10 a quart) as I recall.
The transmission fluid was replaced with new Toyota WS fluid. I tow a boat so it was important to replace with new.
Old 04-09-10, 08:56 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Did you take your car to the Toyota dealer? They didnt say we dont service Lexus? I took my car for the oil cange and they said you have to go to Lexus? Also did they mention about cleaning your injectors?

Last edited by Lexus 4 ME; 04-09-10 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-09-10, 11:01 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
Did you take your car to the Toyota dealer? They didnt say we dont service Lexus? I took my car for the oil cange and they said you have to go to Lexus? Also did they mention about cleaning your injectors?
I did take it to Toyota and I have taken it there for brakes/rotors, oil changes and a couple of other things too. They have no problem working on the GX since all of the parts are Toyota parts and the GX shares many parts with the Landcruiser and 4-Runner so they readily have them in stock. It did take some explaining to the SA at first, but the techs and parts guys know the deal. The SA's that don't know the deal just don't want to do the leg work so they tell you to take it to Lexus or alternatively they might call a Lexus dealer for the part and end up quoting you "Lexus" part prices, which kind of defeats the purpose. If you show up and know what you want and can explain to the unknowing SA what Toyota parts go on your truck it will help them provide you with a written quote.

No mention of cleaning my injectors, why would they? That's a dealer money maker on any recent model car. My MPG's are fine, engine performance is good, I use quality gas and I occassionally add a bottle of Tehcron to the tank every for good measure to keep up on any carbon deposits that might be forming in the combustion chamber or injectors.
Old 04-09-10, 11:03 AM
cssnms
Racer

BTW, end let me add that I really need to scrub the numbers, but at first glance (going off the trip computer) my GX appears to be getting considerably better gas mileage after the above mentioned fluid changes.
Old 04-09-10, 11:21 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

My GX getting closer to 50k miles soon (47 right now) what you said makes perfect sense, now atleast I know what to expect. I will take my car to the knowledgeable Toyota people. As far as injectors every time I go to the oil change at Keyes Lexus they want to clean my injectors. I keep telling them it's fine I only use 91 octane.

I dont know if it's true or not but the way you clean your injectors, when you go uphill step on the gas and it should clean your injectors.
Old 04-09-10, 12:47 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

If you just add a fuel injector cleaner every so often like Redline's Fuel System Cleaner for example, you're going to be fine. Mexican gas did some awful things when I had my RX300 down there, but nothing that the cleaners couldn't handle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should mention to you that all I picked up this week (for my girlfriend) a 2006 4Runner V8 (only 19,000 miles). Although it's 2WD, I am aware of the similarities with the GX470 (which we also looked at, but everyone was asking ridiculous price for the 100K+ miles without substantiated maintenance records). As I've done most of the maintenance work on my RX300, I plan to share what I learn from working on the 4Runner here in this forum. At about 30K, I plan to change out some of the fluids to aftermarket stuff. With the next oil change in about 5K, I'll be running this time the new Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W30 (it's similar in some respects to the Castrol 0W30) and both my RX300 and our new 4Runner will be running it with the larger K&N HP-2009 oil filter which of course will also work on the GX470. There are some aspects of the 2UZFE that eventually I want to thinker with like cooling and intake, but not for the time being.

Last edited by Lexmex; 04-09-10 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-24-10, 02:46 PM
BLKGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I did take it to Toyota and I have taken it there for brakes/rotors, oil changes and a couple of other things too. They have no problem working on the GX since all of the parts are Toyota parts and the GX shares many parts with the Landcruiser and 4-Runner so they readily have them in stock. It did take some explaining to the SA at first, but the techs and parts guys know the deal. The SA's that don't know the deal just don't want to do the leg work so they tell you to take it to Lexus or alternatively they might call a Lexus dealer for the part and end up quoting you "Lexus" part prices, which kind of defeats the purpose. If you show up and know what you want and can explain to the unknowing SA what Toyota parts go on your truck it will help them provide you with a written quote.
Do you have a copy or a list of item numbers for parts and fluids they used when you took it in for service.

I'm about to do the same and Toyota service is just 10 mins away from my house compared to 45 mins to the nearest lexus dealer.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-10, 06:42 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by BLKGX470
Do you have a copy or a list of item numbers for parts and fluids they used when you took it in for service.

I'm about to do the same and Toyota service is just 10 mins away from my house compared to 45 mins to the nearest lexus dealer.

Thanks in advance!
I keep all of my receipts so I am sure I have them. What are you looking to have done? If it's a simple oil change don't worry about the part number the tech will know what filter and fluid goes in/on your truck when he sees the engine and pulls the filter off. It's the same fluid/filter they use in the Landcruiser of the same year (same engine). As for brakes, the parts are the same as the 4-Runner v-8 of the same year. Transmission is the Landcruiser's. Let me know if there is something specific that Toyota is having trouble with.
Old 11-29-10, 01:21 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi CSSNMS, did you happen to run your MPG numbers yet? Curious what you were seeing, and what you're seeing now.

Turby
Old 12-01-10, 06:00 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbinator
Hi CSSNMS, did you happen to run your MPG numbers yet? Curious what you were seeing, and what you're seeing now.

Turby
I don't really pay to much attention to my MPG's other than I occassionally look at my on-board computer every once in a while, but that's not a good way to measure IMO. On the other hand I do reset my trip computer after each fill-up to gauge how many miles I can get between fill-ups. Based on this infromation I would say my MPG's are about the same.
Old 12-08-10, 07:20 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

i have been using toyota service for both my 93 ES300 and my 04 GX470, in case you haven't noticed...they are both Toyota's, engines and drivetrains are the same, they only differnces will be for body and trim part numbers.