GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Synthetic oil - oil filter selection

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-09, 03:51 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Synthetic oil - oil filter selection

I found Castrol Edge 5QT at walmart for $26 and picked couple of them to try on 2005 GX. It has 54K miles. I don't plan to extend oil change interval to anything beyound 7500. Currently using stock filter with Castrol synthectic blend at every 5000 miles.

Still like to know what is good filter to use along with synthetic oil?. Any input/suggestions appreciated. .
Old 12-29-09, 06:40 PM
mansito
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can check the following site for oil + filter recommendations: http://bobistheoilguy.com/
In general they recommend the following filters:
1) Napa ProSelect = WIX
2) Advance Auto Parts "Total Grip"
3) Motorcraft
4) Walmart Supertech (Made by Champion)
5) Purolator Pure Premium = Bosch = PepBoys ProLine
6) Purolator Pure One = Mobil1
7) Fram Xtended Guard (not all Fram filters are recommended, only the Xtended Guard)
Old 12-31-09, 04:35 PM
satiger
Instructor

Thanks mansito.

Posted the same question in bobistheoilguy forum. Based on the feedback and reading, got Purolator PureOne and had the Toyota dealer change oil & filter today.
Old 01-01-10, 08:28 AM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use M1 5/30W from Costco and only toyota oil filters.
I get the filters from the my Toyota dealer and they cost next to nothing at $5.
Old 01-01-10, 09:16 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Your GX uses the same filter as my RX300. For several years I was using the stock size K&N HP-1002 that equates to the respective Toyota filter, but later moved up to a larger K&N HP-2009 that fits without issue (several Tacoma and Solara owners mentioned this to me).

If you don't want to use K&N, they mention cross applications for this same larger oil filter here, http://www.knfilters.com/search/kn_c...x?part=HP-2009
Old 01-01-10, 06:21 PM
satiger
Instructor

I was debatig on using a larger filter (than OEM) but wasn't sure about its impact on oil pressure. Did you notice any improvement or impact by switching to larger size filter?.

I got two Purolator PureONE filters from Amazon for $9.48.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ss_T15_product
Old 01-02-10, 10:14 AM
Raid05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only thing the larger filter will do for you is provide more filter media to catch particulate in the oil, thus keeping your oil cleaner longer, which is good for those of us using synthetic oil and extended oil change intervals. As long as you account for the extra volume of the filter when filling, then there should be no change in oil pressure or overall performance of the engine.
Old 01-09-10, 12:05 PM
vxphan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Toyota sell same part with reasonable cost. Use the same as Landcruiser 4.7 Liter engine
Old 01-10-10, 06:56 AM
satiger
Instructor

Update after full synthetic & Pureone oil filter change (10 days ago):

At cold start, GX doesn't produce the same type of sound at 1500-2000 rpm as it used to be. Also, from cold start or just after stop (signals, stop sign, traffic etc), it used to feel that engine doesn't pick up the momentum immediately but rather struggles at around 1500rpm for about 15-30 seconds before starts driving normally. During that period, I hear engine noise as well. This also eliminated 90% of the time. Only very rarely, I felt it stuck at 1500rpm range for few seconds before starts driving smoothy.

Cold start warm-up time - didn't notice any changes it takes to come to warm-up temperature before and after full synthetic change.

On a different note, had done oil change on 2000 ES and requested the dealer to use YZZD3 (normally they use YZZD1 on ES) oil filter. Which is slightly larger than stock YZZD1. They topped off very little extra oil to account for larger filter. From driving experience, I didn't notice any difference. However, I plan on switching to full synthectic on that as well. Even though it has 135k mile, it has no leaks and no sludge. So, I am comfortable on that. Fell post the experience here later.......may after few months.
Old 01-10-10, 07:52 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Sat..since you have a high mileage car, Also make sure you change the OEM Ventilation Valve ( P/n 12204-50030) You will notice the difference, as this is directly related to the EGR.

JD you say you have the toyota filter at 5/- from the dealer, make sure what part you are getting, There are two variants available.
1. 90915-YZZD4 - Made in Thailand. Cost 5/-
2. 90915-20004 - Made in Japan - Cost 11/-

The latter one architecture is much better when you compare them. The parts are much better quality.
Old 01-11-10, 08:16 AM
satiger
Instructor

Originally Posted by mann777
Sat..since you have a high mileage car, Also make sure you change the OEM Ventilation Valve ( P/n 12204-50030) You will notice the difference, as this is directly related to the EGR.
Thanks mann777 for the info. I will do that with next oil change. Just curious.... what improvement do I get with that change?. Also, do you recommand changing the same on ES?.
Old 01-13-10, 03:04 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, it would make the difference, The definition for PCV is "The PCV Valve recirculates partially burned gases from the engine’s crankcase to the combustion chamber. This improves fuel economy and reduces engine emissions while preventing the buildup of harmful sludge and corrosion. PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation" The attached images gives you an idea of high mileage vehicles, what happens. ( Courtesy of LS400 ). The GX has got the similar PCV but its bit shorter snout. (bit of L shape ). Cost around 10/- 15/- bucks only. Worth it for the replacement.
Attached Thumbnails Synthetic oil - oil filter selection-pcv3.jpg   Synthetic oil - oil filter selection-pcv4.jpg  
Old 01-24-10, 02:26 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got some free time coming up and was thinking about changing the oil/filter on the truck. What's the easiest way getting to the filter without making a big mess?
Old 01-24-10, 03:04 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Remove the metal skid plate under the front of the engine and you can access the filter, drain and replace without getting oil on anything. You may have to lift the truck just a couple of inches to remove the skid plate unless/until you've straightened the little hook thingees on the front of the plate a little bit.
Old 02-14-10, 08:33 AM
studlee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where is this located on the gx470? how easy is it to replace?

Originally Posted by mann777
Yes, it would make the difference, The definition for PCV is "The PCV Valve recirculates partially burned gases from the engine’s crankcase to the combustion chamber. This improves fuel economy and reduces engine emissions while preventing the buildup of harmful sludge and corrosion. PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation" The attached images gives you an idea of high mileage vehicles, what happens. ( Courtesy of LS400 ). The GX has got the similar PCV but its bit shorter snout. (bit of L shape ). Cost around 10/- 15/- bucks only. Worth it for the replacement.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil - oil filter selection