GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Traded in 07 GX470

Old 12-28-09, 09:04 AM
94SC300TX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traded in 07 GX470

Well, I had been waiting on the 2010 GX for some time now and had one pre-ordered without knowing what the cost was since my lease on the 07 GX470 was up in December. I finally got the numbers on a lease, 36 month, 12k miles per year, no money down, and December to remember tax credits... $1298 with a MSRP of $65,022 Silver with Black Leather, Premium package with Rear Seat Entertainment that was coming in first week of January. Now, my current GX470 had a sticker of $57k, had every option except for KDSS and my lease payment was $882/mo with no money down except 1st payment, and 15k miles per year. This is a HUGE increase and one I declined to do. Instead I traded our GX470 in on a 2010 Lincoln Navigator Elite package, Tuxedo Black (black metallic) with Black leather interior, heated and cooled seats, Rear seat entertainment, rear heated bucket seats, factory auto start, heavy duty towing package, monochrome appearance package (no gawdy chrome on the side, lower grill and side panels are the same color as the car), power folding third row seat, voice activated navigation, blutooth, and Sync System with 10GB media hard drive, and power folding side steps. It gets better gas mileage than my GX, runs on Regular octane gas, and is much more comfortable as well. Also was able to get the car, with a sticker price of $63700 for $57401 and purchased the car with the ford 0% interest for 60 months! My payments on this car are cheaper than the lease on the GX and they gave me the payoff amount on my GX. So, as much as I loved our Lexus, it is now gone, I think Lexus made a mistake with the pricing of the new GX compared to the price of a fully loaded previous model and will lose some customers. Beautiful car though, just not worth the price in my opinion if the lease residuals are that low.
Old 12-28-09, 09:54 AM
fht
Driver School Candidate

The price hike is out of proportion if Toyota really wants to keep their loyal customers. My current '04 GX has been showing its age and have been thinking upgrading to a new one. But the styles of interior and exterior have been a huge disappointment to me (just plain UGLY). I can't believe it's from Lexus. It seems that Toyota/Lexus design has been slipping away based on their current models on the market. At this point Audi Q7 is my favorite because its availability of TDI model.
Old 12-28-09, 12:49 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think the Audi Q7 TDI is actually cheaper than the GX, Lexus really need to stay under the German's prices.
Old 12-28-09, 01:43 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does Lexus need to stay under the German's pricing? The Lexus offers a unique personality and skill set that is not present in any of the German competition.

Also, congratulations on the Navigator! It's a nice truck and it sounds like you got a solid deal. Watch the wear and tear on bits of your interior, as I have two friends with 'Gators and both have been relatively unimpressed with how many of the surfaces have worn. The painted plastic trim in particular flakes off very easily.

The pricing of the new GX makes the absence of a larger unibody 7 seat SAV/CUV even more noticeable now. Yes, part of the price hike for the GX due to more equipment being offered, but a reasonably priced RX tops out around $43K, and you can certainly go up from there, especially if you move to the 450h. There is a significant gap between the RX and GX now...moreso than there was before, IMO. They need some sort of a gap-filler, or the price of the GX should be dropped it a bit.
Old 12-28-09, 01:46 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 94SC300TX
I think Lexus made a mistake with the pricing of the new GX compared to the price of a fully loaded previous model and will lose some customers.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the pre-order.

I completely agree that the pricing for the new GX is just wrong. Hopefully they will see this and begin to offer discounts soon.

Good luck with your new vehicle.
Old 12-28-09, 01:57 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I dont think Audi's quality is near Lexus though--just a thought
Old 12-28-09, 03:29 PM
94SC300TX
Rookie

Yeah, my parents have had two Lincoln Navigators, a 2004 and a 2006 and both were fully loaded Elite models. The 2004 had some wear issues with the tan interior, but the 2006 with the black interior still looked brand new even with 48k on the car. They saw my new Navigator and loved it so much that they traded their 2006 in the next day for the same car at the same dealership the deal was so good. All in all, it is a much quieter car than the GX and I am very happy with the build quality and ride over the Lexus.
Old 12-30-09, 07:17 PM
burl
Driver School Candidate

Another miscue from Lexus.
Old 12-31-09, 07:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Booyah
You are right, Audi's quality is a bit above the Lexus. Although the Q7 have never been one of the favorite Audi
Old 12-31-09, 07:56 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
You are right, Audi's quality is a bit above the Lexus. Although the Q7 have never been one of the favorite Audi
haha... I guess they're about equal. Audi's in the past crushed people up against the back of their garage's and drove them into swimming pools. Today, Lexus drives families of four or more off the road and into ravines at 120mph...
Old 12-31-09, 08:31 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

I have just returned from Middle East to close my financial year accounts, Guess What Toyota is selling the 2010 Prado V6 Premium version ( sold in Dubai ) for the same price as GX460 V8s ( sold in US ) in . Something is gone wrong with there Business Strategy.
They have been taken for a spin. Good luck to those customers there. Anyway I did realise this. Yes I certainly agree that the Audi V8 / V12 Toureg SUV are much better than the Beamers and Lexus. I did ride the V8 & V12( in UK ) and they are damm good.
Old 12-31-09, 10:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mann777
Anyway I did realise this. Yes I certainly agree that the Audi V8 / V12 Toureg SUV are much better than the Beamers and Lexus. I did ride the V8 & V12( in UK ) and they are damm good.
It all depends on which Lexus we are talking about. The Lexus LS430 I had 10 years ago was the best built car I have ever own, it was much better than Audi in terms of material and built quality at that time. My last Lexus was a GS350, I trade that in for an Audi and find that the Audi was better build with better material and quality. We also compare the Audi Q5 to the RX350 and we came to the same conclusion, the Audi had better quality.
Old 12-31-09, 11:58 AM
rainmn
Driver

Originally Posted by Booyah
Not exactly apples to apples, but I just got rid of an '07 Jetta I had since new. Not an Audi, but close enough. Not a single problem with the car...not one, not a minor issue...zero. The only two times it was at the dealer were when I picked it up and gave it back.

My GX on the other hand, has not been the model of quality that Lexus owners like to brag about. Granted, it's a few years older than the Jetta, but it's had more than it's fair share of problems. Peeling wheels, bad ride height sensors, bad calipers, poor rotor life, etc. Just two days ago I noticed a rust spot in the rear wheelwell. I'm counting down the days until a crack shows up in my dash.

IMO, Lexus quality is not what it once was, and there's not a snowball's chance I'd pay $60K plus for the 2010 GX.

To the OP, good luck with the Navigator. Sounds like you made the right choice to me.
Old 12-31-09, 12:12 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rainmn
Not exactly apples to apples, but I just got rid of an '07 Jetta I had since new. Not an Audi, but close enough. Not a single problem with the car...not one, not a minor issue...zero. The only two times it was at the dealer were when I picked it up and gave it back.

My GX on the other hand, has not been the model of quality that Lexus owners like to brag about. Granted, it's a few years older than the Jetta, but it's had more than it's fair share of problems. Peeling wheels, bad ride height sensors, bad calipers, poor rotor life, etc. Just two days ago I noticed a rust spot in the rear wheelwell. I'm counting down the days until a crack shows up in my dash.

IMO, Lexus quality is not what it once was, and there's not a snowball's chance I'd pay $60K plus for the 2010 GX.

To the OP, good luck with the Navigator. Sounds like you made the right choice to me.
Just to be fair, a VW Jetta should be compare to a Toyota Corolla, not an Audi. My GX470 was rock solid, not one problem with it in 2.5 years. My GS350 was in the shop for over two weeks combined for varies problems in less than a year.
I do agree that Lexus quality is not it use to be. Audi and Lexus currently are two companies that are headed in opposite directions when it comes to quality
Old 12-31-09, 12:39 PM
rainmn
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
Just to be fair, a VW Jetta should be compare to a Toyota Corolla, not an Audi.
Have you been in a new Jetta or new Audi? The Jetta has the 2.5 liter 5 cylinder from the original Audi TT. Half of the switchgear in the two cars is interchangeable. The Audi A3 and the MKV VW Jetta / Rabbit / GTI are all the same platform.

I wasn't comparing them based on "prestige" level. I made the comparison because they are made by the same parent company, from many of the same parts. I understand the Jetta is an inexpensive car.

Your statement would be like saying I shouldn't compare a new 4Runner to the new GX.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traded in 07 GX470