GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Just replace differential and transfer case oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 07:06 AM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mann777
Lithium is the base material in the grease, moly is an additive in the grease, and synthetic tells about the type of oil held in the base.The base is the thickener. Lithium or lithium complex is probably the most popular grease base material. The base is something like a sponge. It holds oil in its pores, and the oil does the lubricating. The oil can be conventional or synthetic. Molybdenum disulfide is a dark gray powder that is very hard and very slippery. It is one possible additive to grease, and moly is excellent for slow moving, heavily loaded points.
Now regards my comments on "OEM" use was I was specifying about the oil. The Grease is obvious Toyota Does not manufacture. Even the dealer use known brands as per the specific standards required for the parts.
Now coming to your Mobil Stuff, I hope now i have enlightened you the difference in greases And what you have used is Fully Synthetic with lithium soap base and not moly based. The website clearly says this" Quote It is particularly suited for applications such as disc brake wheel bearings and ball and steering joints. Unquote. It does not says anywhere its use is for the differential gear shafts. So that is why i said you got the wrong one. Now If you are happy with it. I will reserve my comments. The type to be used was given by Sewell. At this moment I do not have any document, Will do so as I get one.
Mann,

I agree with everything you have nicely said. In fact when I did my axel/birf rebuild on my 96 Landcruiser I used M1 for the wheel bearings do to the high speed nature. I used moly grease for the birfs (low speed, heavy load). Along that thinking I thought that the DS is a high speed area and M1 would be better suited but I could be wrong?

I could replace with Moly or watch it every 500 miles to see if they are trying up?

Any thoughts?

More than you ever wanted to know about M1 grease!

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...tic_Grease.asp

Last edited by jditom; 11-11-09 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-11-09, 08:53 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

JD....I did read the specs, that is why I had to tell what was the requirement and what has been which you have pumped on your vehicle. Maybe you have not still understood the grease concept.

You must know why Moly is used for the props because the props are used to a constant-velocity at the universal joint of a propeller shaft . The coupling portion of a propeller shaft transmits a driving force in the back-and-forth direction of an automobile body. Such a constant-velocity joint for a propeller shaft, and a constant-velocity joint for a drive shaft provided near a wheel and used at a coupling portion of a drive shaft for transmitting the rotation force from a differential gear to the wheel are typical constant-velocity joints for automobiles. So at such constant-velocity at joints for propeller shafts and splines & drive shafts, to reduce frictions as they rotate at a high speed exceeding 2000 rpm, molybdenum sulphide is best used for this application.

Now The grease Mobil 1 is a soap based lithium, whereas the Moly is a complex grease. Lithium complex grease and lithium soap grease have similar properties except the complex grease has superior thermal stability as indicated by a dropping point of 260 EC (500 EF). It is generally considered to be the nearest thing to a true multipurpose grease, and no other grease matches its standards of performance.

I am an Aviation Consultant being in the Aircraft Engineering Industry for the last 35 years part served with Boeing and Part of it with Nasa Research , My knowledge of such products is well beyond of what you have ever heard of or you had ever imagined.
Old 11-11-09, 09:24 AM
jditom
Pole Position

Mann,

It is great having someone like you on this forum!

I have 2 grease guns and the second one has Valvoline Palladium Moly grease and will now be used for Birfs (Landcruiser) and Drive Shafts (GX and Landcruiser).

Thanks for catching this
Old 11-11-09, 09:32 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mann777, How often do you need to replace oil in transfer case and Diffs?
Old 11-11-09, 10:05 AM
mann777

Red face

Here is the Service Chart for the GX 04, it is pretty much the same until 2009 models.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GX Service Chart.pdf (9.6 KB, 1198 views)
Old 11-11-09, 11:10 AM
jditom
Pole Position

Here is the Service Chart for the GX 04, it is pretty much the same until 2009 models.
The only thing different is that in 05 they went to a lifetime tranny fluid.
Which I am not a fan of. I will probably change it.
Old 11-11-09, 04:09 PM
schan1w
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi mann77 - can you help explain this then:

In the past, Toyota specs two different types of grease for the drive shaft:

1) Lithium base chassis grease NLGI No. 2 for the spider

2) Molybdenum disulphide lithium base chassis grease NLGI No. 2 for the Slide yoke and double-cardan joint

See this link: http://www.synapdev.com/downloads/00400610.pdf

Now, if you look at my previous post for the GX drive shaft, the service manual does not say specifically to use Molybdenum disulphide. I think this change was intentional. They did not leave out the Molybdenum part by accident.
Old 11-11-09, 04:15 PM
schan1w
Driver

I will claim that, yes, in the past, Toyota says to use Molybdenum disulphide for the slide yoke and double-cardan joint, but NOT the spider. But now, Toyota says non-Molybdenum disulphide Lithium base grease is the one to use for all parts of the drive shaft. This is based only on what I've seen from the factor service manuals. If you have a better explaination, please let us know. I'm willing to bet that if you ask the dealer, they will have no clue as to what we are talking about and just use whatever someone order for all their vehicles. So I guess the bottom line is that it probably doesn't even matter all that much.
Old 11-11-09, 04:19 PM
kutsyy
Driver

It did changed. Here is one for '08. No recommended trans/diff oil changes unless you are towing.
Attached Files
Service_GX_08.pdf (565.7 KB, 658 views)
Old 11-11-09, 08:34 PM
mann777

I am sorry JD ( Wrong info ) , The WS ( World Standard was introduced from 04 GX models and does not require change but , The Manual says Inspection at 100,000. at regular Intervals. Here is TSB.
If you wish to replace it, it your preorgative, but the Factory does not mention of change, that is your convience, or should say Vehicle owner Satisfaction.
Attached Files
ATF WS Introduction.pdf (126.1 KB, 2052 views)
Old 11-11-09, 09:16 PM
mann777

Schwan...you are absolutely right, in the begginning Toyota Introduced the Grease as MP1 and Mp2. They upgraded this to Lithium base chassis grease NLGI No. 2 for the spider 2) Molybdenum disulphide lithium base chassis grease NLGI No. 2 for the Slide yoke and double-cardan joint.
Now they have one standard that is the Moly stuff. This could be an internal memo issued to Dealers by Toyota/ Lexus for this upgrade. I do not know of any TSB issued so far to my knowledge. As I am alway updated with the TSB directly through my resources. As I said earlier I do not have any document to prove it, But i do believe they could be right in a way, As similar to the WS Fluid standard improved for the transmissions. Here is an exploded view of the grease points. If you see the manual, this is an old version copy, so that is why it says MP1 and MP2 type ( Multipurpose Grease ). If any member does have the repair manual of late the new ones of 2008, could mention what they have said for the greasing part. I am curious
Attached Thumbnails Just replace differential and transfer case oil-propeller-shaft-assembly-03.jpg  

Last edited by mann777; 11-11-09 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 10:47 PM
schan1w
Driver

Ok, so I paid for a 2 day subscription to Toyota TechInfo to look up all the GX service bulletins to make sure my vehicle is caught up on the latest changes. What I found is that in some places, Toyota say you CAN use Molybdenum disulphide on the slide yoke and DC joint, but that you should only use regular lithium base chassis grease on the spider.

On the 03 GX, it says to use:

Lithium base wheel bearing grease, NLGI No.2

So M1 Synthetic grease is totally OK for the entire GX drive shaft.

On my 07 GX owner's manual, this is what is says:

Propeller shafts
Spiders : Lithium base chassis grease, NLGI No.2
Slide yoke : Molybdenum-disulfide lithium base chassis grease, NLGI No.2 or lithium base chassis grease, NLGI No.2

There's a TSB on the gear oil attached here. M1 75W90 should be totally fine also. I think bottom line, M1 gear oil and grease is totally fine for the GX.
Attached Files
gear_oil_spec.pdf (24.4 KB, 766 views)
Old 11-12-09, 07:23 AM
jditom
Pole Position

That just sounds right. Spider is a high speed application so use M1. The yolk just slides back and forth and is under more pressure so use moly there.

Thank God I have 2 grease guns.

Last edited by jditom; 11-12-09 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-12-09, 05:21 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease is fine for any grease fitting that there is on the GX.
Old 11-16-09, 09:17 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mann777 thank you for postiing info.

Quick Reply: Just replace differential and transfer case oil