GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What car did you come from and why the GX

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 11:07 PM
JASP615
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What car did you come from and why the GX

I was curious to find out all that have chosen the GX470 why you pick the truck and what vehicle you came from? What sold you on this truck? Would you buy another GX or move on?

I had a 2003 Escalade and loved it but decided to trade it in and buy another Escalade this time a 2005. Can I tell you I hated it. In just two years the quality of the truck went down hill. This was confirmed when in just a few months I got out of the truck and shut the door only to find out the door panel came off. On my 2003 on my key fob your setting were preset by the keys so it was great. I carried the #2 and when I would unlock the truck all my setting were in place. With the 2005 they did away with this feature. This was just one of the many things that the GX was able to lure us away. I traded in my 05 white diamond loaded with 10,000 miles for a new 06 fully loaded GX and I don't regret it one bit.
Old 10-06-09, 05:14 AM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a somewhat similar experience to yours. We had a Ford Excursion, which I believe was a 2000. I loved the truck, and had very very few issues with it.

After a couple years, I wasn't towing anything with the truck (Boat was staying in the water), so we decided to "downsize" a little, and get something new. Since we had such good luck with the Excursion, and Ford was running great deals on Expeditions, we decided to pick one of those up. Got an '04 Expedition Sport.

We liked the looks of the Expedition, the ride, and the room, but that's where it stopped. It died on us the first weekend we owned it, and that was a sign of what was to come. Complete POS truck.

Two years into the three year lease on the Expedition, we had enough and paid to get out of it. Bought the current '03 GX used.

There's a lot I love about the GX, and even more that my wife does, however it's also had more than it's share of issues. More than the Excursion did, which still amazes me. I'm not so sure I'd buy another GX if this one was stolen tomorrow, although I don't know what I would get.
Old 10-06-09, 05:24 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. It was a love hate relationship. Loved the styling and the comfortable seats, but what a POS! The brake rotor problems were twice as bad as the GX, the transmission failed at 76k mi (yea 1k mi over my warranty!) And need I say the service department sucked - what a bunch of arrogant rednecks.

I started looking around for a high quality, reliable SUV that offered 3 rows of seating, plenty of tow capacity for towing a boat and would fit in my garage. After putting $1700 into the POS's transmission, I sold it the following week at close to asking price. Called my Lexus dealer worked a hell of a deal in December on one of two current year GX's on the lot and brought her home that night. Let me tell you when I sat in that truck in the lot at the dealer and I stuck the key in and that steering wheel came down and grabbed my knees it was love at first sight or sit as the case may be. Not to mention I couldn't hear the engine-i was amazed at how quiet it was.

46k mi later and I am still in love... Sniff, sniff...

Last edited by cssnms; 10-06-09 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-06-09, 08:55 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My previous car was a 2003 BMW X5.

I really loved the sportiness of that SUV, but didn't love the engine noise.

I've been very happy with my 2006 GX and I will consider buying the new model once it's available.

Antonio.
Old 10-06-09, 08:59 AM
pump142
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda Pilot
vehicle wasnt bad but Honda service sucked
Old 10-06-09, 09:18 AM
tommynasty
Driver School Candidate

I had a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport. The car treated me well, no real serious maintenance issues. My biggest issue with the Explorer sport is that it only had 2 doors. So when I made my move, I wanted a bigger suv with 4 doors and not terrible gas mileage. I had initially started looking at used GMC envoy denali's, but realized for like an extra couple thousand I could get a used GX470. I did some research found out the engine is pretty nice and the maintenance record is pretty good. I was also looking at Land Rover LR3's b/c they are similar in size and luxury, but decided against the LR3's b/c of their poor maintenace record. Oh yea, and once I test drove the GX470, I was pretty much sold. I ended up with a used 2005 GX470 with 25k miles, durato gold color (not my first choice), but one of the main discriminators was that my GX doesn't have the rear air deflector. I'm not a huge fan of the rear air deflector. I think it looks okay, but without it the GX looks like a more traditional suv.
Old 10-06-09, 09:27 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before Lexus my wife had
ML 55 very nice car only a few problem.
BMW X5 4.6 IS nothing but the trouble. I replaced water pump, radiator. A lot of electrical issues such as check engine light, air bag. Tailight problem.
Infiniti FX 45 one of my favourite cars, great handling, but very small trunk.
After owning GS430 for 4 years and not having a single problem. I was sold on Lexus quality so we bought GX470 without even test driving. I went to auction with my friend and found 2004 GX 470 with 32k miles fully loaded for under $20k. So i didnt even think twice. I have to admit I like this car more and more everyday. I still have supercharged BMW 540I

Last edited by Lexus 4 ME; 10-06-09 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-06-09, 10:45 AM
ARK07
Driver School Candidate

My last was a 2000 Nissan frontier crew cab pick-up and wanted to continue the success I had with that and the other previous, the prior to it an Isuzu trooper, along with other Japanese cars (no I'm not anti-american my 1st truck was chevy). My Nissan was a great truck with only one heater fan switch failing after 160K miles. Other than being too small inside, it could only sit 2 people comfortly, was little noisy and had a tough time on the highways towing any thing over 2000lbs. It handled good (I think even better than the GX), and rode like a mid size car. My wife who thought she'd never would want to drive a "pick-up", loved it and cried when after 9yrs we sold it to another worthy family (it went to a good home). I choose the Lexus carefuly as a proven very, repeat, very, reliable replacement, not too big, not too small (alot like my Isuzu) with power to pull, a quieter and smoother ride when needed. I guess my wife put her blessing on the Lexus as she said it kind of reminded her of the Nissan.
Old 10-06-09, 12:04 PM
Rammer
Driver School Candidate

Prior to our 2006 GX we had a 1999 Land Rover Disco II. We absolutely loved the respect it commanded and how it handled off road, but when it came to maintenance it was the typical Land Rover story. We initially went shopping for a 4 Runner, but found that the GX had the mix of luxury, ruggedness, reliability, and comfort we were looking for. Not to mention it is my wife's dream car! Just the other day she casually mentioned to me that she wouldn't have a problem updating to a newer model GX every few years and never bother with another SUV. We have yet to test it off road (the low hanging plastics might pose an issue), but I'm excited to get it pack up with gear and find some trails! I have yet to encounter any issues with the GX, and I am hoping it lives up to the hype of the longevity of Toyota/Lexus.
Old 10-06-09, 12:08 PM
94SC300TX
Rookie

The GX is my wife's car, her previous car was a 2002 ML320 loaded, good car, but hated the Mercedes Dealership service dept, always had to argue in order to get a loaner car! Before the 02 ML320, we had a 01 ML320 which we had for only a few months before getting the upgraded 02 we found. Before the 01 ML320 she had a 94 SC300 which was a great car, no issues at all! And I have and love my 2002 Camaro SS with only 32k miles, the GX is our traveling car.

The 07 GX470 has been a great car and haven't had any problems, only time it has been to the dealership has been for the Rear Clunk TSB.
Old 10-06-09, 02:41 PM
DrVolkl
Rookie

Audi S4... needed something bigger and less speed provoking.
Old 10-06-09, 05:14 PM
Thumbert
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Also a 2002 Jeep Overland. Same issues as above. Plus random problems with the heater and the electrical system. Kept killing my batteries at very bad times such as at a hunting camp in upstate NY in November (12 degrees).
Old 10-06-09, 07:46 PM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer V8 AWD. It was essentially an appliance. Drove OK, not too exciting but filled a void of needing a 3rd row vehicle. Bought it used right as gas hit close to $5 a gallon. Let's just say the dealer practically gave it to us (it was used, I was laid off and my company car went when the job went).

Found a job pretty quickly (had great luck) but they did not have company cars. Drove the Explorer for a year and the rear started to make noise, the tranny started to slip, and there was a annoying rattle where the rear entertainment system was and could not get it to stop.

Wife drove a GS that we just can not kill. It is a amazing car. Since we need 3 rows, the GX was a perfect fit. Traded the Explorer in last month on a 05 Navi RES. Awesome vehicle and feels like it will last forever like our GS. The wife already has grabbed the keys and will not let go. Interesting how she said the Explorer was too big for her and never drove it but now I can not get her out of the GX!!
Old 10-06-09, 09:06 PM
slvrpine03
Driver School Candidate

Previous car was a GS300. Great car, rock solid reliability, required nothing, and gave us everything. Sold at (200k miles) We sold it to the first person to look at it.

Wife always wanted a GX from the first time we saw one during service on the GS at our local dealership.

We were able to find the exact model, color combo, with navi, ML, and rses. Previous owner had all service records, low miles, a reasonable asking price to boot. We didn't hesitate, and bought it on the spot.
Old 10-06-09, 09:42 PM
empinball
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My first post, but a long one.......................My Lexus experience began in May of 95 with the purchase of a new ES300. I put 128K maintenance free miles on it (other than 3 sets of tires and the 90k timing belt/tune up) and traded it in on a Land Rover Disocvery in the fall of 1999 as the Disco seemed to suit our growing family needs (ie room for car seats/stroller). Little did I know how much of a mistake that would be.....$2500 spent on Rover Repairs/Towing in a 3 month period about a year after the warranty expired. One of the salesman at the Rover dealership actually told my wife we were having problems with the Disco because we weren't taking it up in the hills, climbing rocks and fording streams. We dumped the Rover before it could break down again and went back to domestic vehicles in 2002 (Dodge Dakota Quad Cab) and 2004 (Dodge Intrepid). Last week we traded the Intrepid in on a Blizzard Pearl 2004 GX with 44K on it. My wife wanted a Sequoia, but after taking the GX out for a drive she decided it was time to return Lexus. Our "new" GX was a fleet lease and is in incredible condition, no scratches or dings, perfect glass, third row seats don't appear to have ever been used, the remote for the rear passenger audio was still in the original wrap with the plastic strip preventing the battery from discharging, the plastic wrap was still on the door jamb "Lexus" embossing, new tires and rotors were installed last month prior to coming off lease and the service log has been stamped for all but 2 of the 5K service intervals. Needless to say I'm extremely glad to have returned to Lexus and can't imagine buying another non-lexus vehicle.

edit:another bonus of the GX, just found out it's only costing me $34/year more to insure than the 2004 Intrepid!!!

Last edited by empinball; 10-07-09 at 10:29 PM. Reason: added text

Quick Reply: What car did you come from and why the GX