GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What car did you come from and why the GX

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 01:37 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was really excited to buy a 2005, Jeep Grand Cherroke, first year for the "Hemi". Didn't care about gas mileage, but wanted that engine. Rolled out of my driveway, with less than 30 miles and stepped on the gas, bam, felt like I was hit by a semi. Transmission recal problems. Foam transmission filter, wasn't letting enough oil to the transmission. At 29,000 miles, the trans was fried. Chrysler would not give me a new trans, and insisted that the dealer ship rebuild mine. I think the motor has to much torque, for the standard trans that come withe Jeep.

As stated in other posts, if you think you have pulsating break problems with a Lexus, buy a Jeep and really find out about break problems. Had a 2000 Limited and there was a class action law suit later on, for that problem with the breaks.

Rebuilt the posi rear end at about 90,000 miles, couldn't stand the howl, on and off the gas at highway speeds. Every time it rained, dash board lights going on and off.

Did my research, wanted a quality built truck, with a smooth,quiet ride, and luxury interior. Ability to tow. Had mine for a year, so glad I went Lexus GX.
Old 11-30-11, 09:43 AM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face Sad, Angry kids

Originally Posted by ROK
nice post. got any pics of the lx?

Thanks, here's a photo before releasing LX key
Attached Images  

Last edited by LXGXSAM1; 11-30-11 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-30-11, 09:51 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LXGXSAM1
Thanks, here's a photo before releasing LX key
ahh shucks. i remember when my dad had to let go of his buick it was tough to see it sitting at the lot. i teared up as a kid.

the LX is a special car. Land Cruiser is a legend to many around the world!
Old 11-30-11, 01:27 PM
Vlad6525
Pit Crew

Received 124 Likes on 74 Posts

My wife and I had a 2004 Highlander, which we bought brand new and we loved its versatility (this was our first SUV)...then I lost my job and we had to sell it and we got a Civic to get by...as I started my own business I needed a vehicle with more cargo space...was considering a Highlander again, then looked at the first gen RX300, but then we hit an awesome deal on a 2004 CPO GX...this was in early 2007 and I've been driving nothing but Lexus ever since...my wife drives '08 CPO RX350 (Brandy wine mica - awesome color and only one made in Japan!) and I traded my '04 GX for an '08 CPO GX (Titanium Metallic)...
Old 11-30-11, 04:42 PM
hughesar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded my 1997 Ford Explorer in on my 2004 GX470 a few years back. The Explorer had 206,000 miles and not a minute of trouble over the 10 years of ownership. I hope the GX serves me as well as the X did. I had never driven in a GX before and when I test drove it for the 1st time, it was amazing in its comfort and handling as compared to the worn out X. The GX is now the wifes daily driver, all of a 1.5 mile commute.
Old 11-30-11, 08:15 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vlad6525
My wife and I had a 2004 Highlander, which we bought brand new and we loved its versatility (this was our first SUV)...then I lost my job and we had to sell it and we got a Civic to get by...as I started my own business I needed a vehicle with more cargo space...was considering a Highlander again, then looked at the first gen RX300, but then we hit an awesome deal on a 2004 CPO GX...this was in early 2007 and I've been driving nothing but Lexus ever since...my wife drives '08 CPO RX350 (Brandy wine mica - awesome color and only one made in Japan!) and I traded my '04 GX for an '08 CPO GX (Titanium Metallic)...
so the RX has a made in USA version?
Old 12-01-11, 03:09 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
RX's are produced in Japan or Canada.
Old 12-01-11, 07:03 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned my is350 for 2 years and when my wife's 2006 Envoy Denali kept giving us problems, I knew the GX470 would be perfect for her. She has always complained that she had a lesser car, but couldnt pick another brand or model that she liked.

One day, when the envoy started with its electrical gremlins, and ABSURD oil consumption (5 quarts in 3000 miles in the 5.3 liter ), I had finally had enough and said that day we were going to pick something out.

Anyway, after owning that terrible Envoy for 3 years, I saw a beautiful Blizzard Pearl 08 GX470 for sale at the local Acura dealer. It wasnt CPO or anything but it didnt need to be. This thing was SO clean I couldnt believe they were only asking 31k for it. She only had 58k miles which I was comfortable with, seeing as it was a lexus and my IS350 is faster than its ever been at 90k with rock solid dependability, it was a no brainer. I worked them down to 30k and havent regretted the purchase a bit.

Finally, her car is newer and nicer than mine and its great to go from my lowered street machine to an incredibly comfortable ride of the GX470. To top it all off, it's 4x4, which makes it nice when your wife is a little country to begin with. I'm just hoping she'll let me do some mods to it besides a standard window tint.

Anyway, I'm a Lexus convert for life, and wouldnt have it any other way.
Old 12-01-11, 07:57 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
I've owned my is350 for 2 years and when my wife's 2006 Envoy Denali kept giving us problems, I knew the GX470 would be perfect for her. She has always complained that she had a lesser car, but couldnt pick another brand or model that she liked.

One day, when the envoy started with its electrical gremlins, and ABSURD oil consumption (5 quarts in 3000 miles in the 5.3 liter ), I had finally had enough and said that day we were going to pick something out.

Anyway, after owning that terrible Envoy for 3 years, I saw a beautiful Blizzard Pearl 08 GX470 for sale at the local Acura dealer. It wasnt CPO or anything but it didnt need to be. This thing was SO clean I couldnt believe they were only asking 31k for it. She only had 58k miles which I was comfortable with, seeing as it was a lexus and my IS350 is faster than its ever been at 90k with rock solid dependability, it was a no brainer. I worked them down to 30k and havent regretted the purchase a bit.

Finally, her car is newer and nicer than mine and its great to go from my lowered street machine to an incredibly comfortable ride of the GX470. To top it all off, it's 4x4, which makes it nice when your wife is a little country to begin with. I'm just hoping she'll let me do some mods to it besides a standard window tint.

Anyway, I'm a Lexus convert for life, and wouldnt have it any other way.

Another BLIZZARD PEARL Owner!!
Old 12-02-11, 06:45 AM
jrbyrn
Driver School Candidate

Had Explorers in the '90's. In 2005 got a Touareg and loved the german handling, but the computer software constanly locked up
Went to an Aviator which was a hotrod - very good motor, but the seat gave me a constant backache.
Got an '07 gold GX and the seat was perfect no more back ache, smooth ride good motor. With 70K and retirement coming moved to an 09 Blizzard Pearl with 19k also from an Acura dealer. The seat in the 460 GX doesn't work for me so I will keep my '09 for a good while
Old 12-02-11, 06:38 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Came from an 02 GMC Envoy SLT loaded, My wife still drives the truck with 99k trouble free miles. Envoy is a great ruck and I believe the inline 6 is a better motor than the 5.3 V8. The GX470 has been great as well(my wife and I trade back and forth)depending on the need for the 3rd row with my 2 kids. I think the back of the envoy and GX look very similar especially the tail lights. My 04 has 84k miles and the only thing that Ive done so far(2 years) is rotors front and rear and calipers in the front.
Old 12-07-11, 12:36 PM
mntackle
Driver School Candidate

We traded in our 2006 Acura MDX. We liked the Acura and didn't have any problems except it would always shift into overdrive way early when driving 35 - 45 mph which was very annoying. Its also had tons of rattles and creaks which drive me nuts. Over all though, the Acura served our purposes the best of any vehicle he had owned and we had our heart set on a newer one. Since I never buy brand new vehicles I was on the hunt for a pristine low mileage MDX for the right price. We are at a Honda dealer and drove a couple nice Acuras and then I talked my wife into checking out a used GX. We were both extremely impressed with how quiet and comfortable it was as well as how easy it was to drive and park. The particular GX had 58k miles and it had been abused. The Honda dealership had it "detailed" and yet in every nook and cranny was filled with film sticky grimy. Almost like a case of pop had exploded inside! This was not the GX for us but now we knew what we were looking for! We ended up with a beautiful dark red 2008 GX with 30k miles and its loaded with every option. (I think). We couldn't be happier with our decision.
Old 12-08-11, 05:15 AM
Vlad6525
Pit Crew

Received 124 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
All 2007-2009 RX except the Brandy wine Mica color (and the hybrids) were produced in Canada...
Old 12-08-11, 05:25 PM
EVADER
Driver School Candidate

Default From a ford

Hello all!! NOOB Here...
I came from a 05 ford explorer V6 4wd to a 04 GX470 . Hands down 400% better suv. Ford was ok for what it was, just.... after we drove the GX we realized what a pos the explorer was, haha! Wife loves it. We were going to look at a Toyota Sequoia, but saw this had just been traded in on a BMW (of all things), Wife took one look at her and said "Thats my new truck". Other than the dash cracks its been a very reliable and roomy suv. We plan to drive it till around 200k (has 92k now), and then get another Lexus. of some sort. (She wants the 2 door convert. in black, or pearl white).
Old 12-23-11, 05:55 AM
EricGreen
Driver School Candidate

Hi everyone! Got a '03 GX470 a week ago, my '98 4Runner needed a ton of work so I decided to just get a different rig. I know the '03 is pretty old in its own right, but it's black with 100k miles and all service has been done. Rides like a dream, has 2 issues I need to work out though. Air bag light is on and a piece of the wood trim is lifting up. I'll be back for tons of help LOL Great forum!

Quick Reply: What car did you come from and why the GX