GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What car did you come from and why the GX

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 07:28 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

@waveseeker: Huh?! "...The car [Audi] was over engineered and had way to many failure points."

>>>>>>

I moved from an Acura CL Type S because I needed a bigger car. Honestly, I think a smaller SUV or cross-over (FX, RX, Venza, Highlander, 4Runner, etc) would've been a fine choice. Most of the time, I find that my GX is bigger than I need and rarely do I use much of its off-road capability. And don't bring up mpg! Then again, my family and I absolutely love our GX and everything it brings to the table. I wouldn't trade it for anything that I cross shopped earlier ... excepting maybe a FX50S.
Old 06-21-11, 08:33 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It was an upgrade from a still beautiful RX300.
Old 06-21-11, 11:28 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I moved from a 2006 4Runner V8 Sport. No reason other the 4Runner was a bit small. I loved the drivetrain and got to keep that which is pretty awesome. The second reason is I got into a 2005 GX470 with only 19K on it just last year for $30K including the CPO. For now, the only vehicle I see that I would move into would be the new GX460. Man I love the interior!
Old 11-04-11, 03:35 AM
Birch71
Driver School Candidate

New here!

I traded in my 2007 FJ Cruiser for a CPO'd 2007 GX 470.

Only reason for my trade is a lil 9 week old girl. We made it the first two months, but with two whippets and lil E, there just wasn't enough room.

Same off road capabilities (which I do use occasionally), my wife loves how bright it is inside compared to the FJ, and I like to finally have an automatic. Guess I'm gettin' old!

Lastly, they gave me 85% of what I paid for the FJ in trade.
Old 11-05-11, 09:01 PM
JuLeX47
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

A lateral move from a 04 Infiniti QX56.
Old 11-06-11, 08:37 AM
CruiserGX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GX is my wives car, we got rid of a 2006 Honda Odyssey (Lemon) broken motor mount at 52K miles, tranny failure at 90K miles and other recalls. I babied that van and maintained religiously and it just failed. Over the years I have owned a 1973 VW bug (my first love) 1976 Porsche 914 2.0, 1986 Toyota Hilux (4x4) 1991 Honda CRX si, 1976 and 1969 LandCruiser FJ40's, 2x 1994 LandCruiser FZJ80's, 1996 FZJ80, 1993 2wd Toyota Hilux and now the 2006 GX470. My current collection is:

1976 FJ40
1996 FZJ80 w/lockers
1993 2wd Toyota Hilux
2006 Lexus GX470

Love them all, especially since they were all made in Japan.
Old 11-06-11, 07:04 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2005 GX35 6MT...just a beautiful car. BUT...when the wife gets pregnant and you have two big dogs, a boy's toys take a back seat.
Old 11-07-11, 02:18 AM
ca5280
10th Gear

I've had 5 4Runners and a LandCruiser over the years, the LC was too big for my needs and wanted something nicer than the 4Runner, the obvious choice was the GX470, I was lucky to find a very nice low mile '07 Sport a couple years ago.

Interestingly, when I am overseas I usually have a LandCruiser prado which have proven to be near bulletproof in some very hostile environments.
Old 11-07-11, 11:25 AM
tissimo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Upgraded from a 92 Supra.. A great upgrade for a DD.

Why? Because the price was right and It could tow my supra around.
Old 11-09-11, 11:54 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Kinda somewhat circuitous journey, but it should make some sense:

-Had a daily driver weekend combo of an '04 911 c4s and '03 V8 limited 4runner blacked out that was perfect, but I've had the 911 for a while. great combo, though.

-i sold both and thought i'd be happy with a '11 supercharged range rover sport tricked out with UK based goods. excellent ride with all that flash and prestige, but just couldn't be happy with a one car show plus a beater econobox. got bored

[img]

-sold the rover and picked up a '08 911 GT3 + the econobox. got tired of the econobox and sorely missed by V8 Toyota truck experience so recently got a black '07 GX470 from a private seller. now i'm back with a faster, badder combo that i hope to stick with for years on end until something like a wife enters my current bachelor life.

Old 11-28-11, 12:24 PM
headcrash
Driver School Candidate

Went from an 03 Sequoia limited to 05 GX. Why because my Sequoia someone hit and totaled it financially. I do love the GX now more!
Old 11-29-11, 12:20 AM
N305AS
Rookie

Upgraded from a 2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD. Loved that 4Runner - never had a single issue with it - but it became just a bit too small for our needs once we began starting a family. Bought my 2007 GX470 in July 2010 (CPO) and love it!
Old 11-29-11, 08:40 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replaced my cabin car (2002 Nissan Xterra) and my daily driver (2011 VW Jetta Sport) with the Lexus GX -- I decided luxury and comfort was more important then MPG. I use it as my winter daily driver and my summer cabin car. My summer daily is a 2002 BMW 330cic sport.
Old 11-29-11, 09:09 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile GX it is...

My wife had been driving my beloved old LX for many years, while I've been driving old and little Toyota cars/trucks over the years. Then one day I bought a HS for her without asking what would it take for her to give up my LX. Well, she didn't even sat on the HS - she did not want to dive it because she doesn't like to drive low-to-the-ground vehicles anymore. After I have been driving the HS for several months, a lady ran a red light and t-boned me while I was making a left turn. Oh how I was devastated!

I realized the only way my wife would give up my old LX is for me to get her a tall vehicle this time around. Luckily I found a GX with sports package nearby that it was such a nice deal I had to rush to buy it, for fear that somebody else will buy it that day. Now, after a few months of having the GX, my wife could not stop driving it - she makes all kinds of excuses to go somewhere just to drive her GX. That was happening while I finally have my LX back which I was supposed to be happy with because my old friend is back, but I really wasn't. I was worrying more about all the maintenance that was due with my LX. I felt that I didn't want to see my old pal aging and becoming weaker everyday.

After making plans for several weeks on how I would tackle a $3K+ upkeep, (tires, break pads, wheel bearings, radio replacement, and replacement of all the fluids) I decided to get the new RX for myself, since I miss some of the techno features of the HS so badly, especially after listening to a ML equipped Lexus - that is. It was very difficult but I decided to part ways with my old outdoor pal. My wife was very sad and my three kids were also so sad when we left our LX at the dealership. My daughter was so sad/mad she threw her hot coco on my new white RX that day. Well, that was her way of blessing her Dad's new ride I guess.

So far though, the RX seems to be helping me cope with my loss and longing for my beloved LX. Only time will tell whether or not I fully forget my first Lexus and how the LX have engraved lifelong memories into our minds, just like an old friend, always reliable, and was always ready to take us anywhere we wanted to drive to, and then back to our home safe and seldom felf tired after the long rides. In closing... we all drive a Lexus because our memories are important for us to keep, and those memories usually are made during those road trips! With a Lexus, rest assured your travel plans will not include towing and hassles along the way - so long as you mantain your Lexus the right way!

Last edited by LXGXSAM1; 11-29-11 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-29-11, 09:16 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LXGXSAM1
My wife had been driving my beloved old LX for many years, while I've been driving old and little Toyota cars/trucks over the years. Then one day I bought a HS for her without asking what would it take for her to give up my LX. Well, she didn't even sat on the HS - she did not want to dive it because she doesn't like to drive low-to-the-ground vehicles anymore. After I have been driving the HS for several months, a lady ran a red light and t-boned me while I was making a left turn. Oh how I was devastated!

I realized the only way my wife would give up my old LX is for me to get her a tall vehicle this time around. Luckily I found a GX with sports package nearby that it was such a nice deal I had to rush to buy it, for fear that somebody else will buy it that day. Now, after a few months of having the GX, my wife could not stop driving it - she makes all kinds of excuses to go somewhere just to drive her GX. That was happening while I finally have my LX back which I was supposed to be happy but I really wasn't. I was worrying more about all the maintenance that was due with the LX.

After making plans for several weeks on how I would tackle a $3K+ upkeep, (tires, break pads, wheel bearings, radio replacement, and replacement of all the fluids) I decided to get the new RX for myself, since I miss some of the techno features of the HS so badly, especially after listening to a ML equipped Lexus. It was very difficult but I decided to part ways with my old outdoor pal. My wife was very sad and my three kidswere so sad when we left our LX at the dealership. My daughter was so sad/mad she threw her hot coco on my new white RX that day. Well, that was her way of blessing her Dad's new ride I guess.

So far though, the RX seems to be helping me cope with my loss and longing for my beloved LX.
Only time will tell whether or not I fully forget my first Lexus and how the LX have engraved lifelong memories into our minds, just like an old friend, always reliable, and was always ready to take us anywhere we wanted to drive to, and back to our home safe and seldom felf tired of the long rides. We all drive a Lexus because our memories are important for us to keep!
nice post. got any pics of the lx?

Quick Reply: What car did you come from and why the GX