GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2004 gx470 back door lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-09, 02:12 PM
travturnag
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 gx470 back door lock

Anyone have advice on the lock for th back door. I'm thinking it's got to be replaced, but wasn't sure if there was anything else I could check for.
Old 09-24-09, 08:54 PM
Bob GX
Driver

My 2004 GX had a problem where the rear door would not open - it that what has happened to yours? There is a TSB for the problem - they have to remove the inside panel from the door to get to the lock/latch assembly and replace it (so I hope your cargo area isn't full of stuff.....the technician has to crawl through the inside to even get the rear door to open). Mine happened while still on warranty so no charge - if you go to a Lexus dealer they should know about this issue. Maybe Lexus is covering this repair regardless of the warranty period - it's worth asking the service advisor about.
Old 06-29-11, 03:09 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

i have an 06 and the actuator or whatever it is that unlocks the door is shot. the dealership quoted the price for just the part at $242.91. i know i can get it cheaper at sewell lexus but i have no clue what the actual part # is. on the invoice it's listed as 69060-60091 i went to sewellparts.com but couldn't find it.

nevermind kids! i found it.

i got it with FedEx 2 day shipping for a whopping $190

Last edited by LZMF1; 06-29-11 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-01-11, 09:32 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

fedex should be delivering my lock assembly sometime today(sat).

i figured for the fun of it i'd give it a dry run and take the broken one out.......hooooo boy! this is gonna be fun. i had the door disassembled but couldn't figure out how to get the assembly out without taking the window out. i really don't feel like paying the dealership @$250 for something that i should be able to do myself. hopefully i'll have it figured out before i get around to doing the install.....it's not exactly something you can just "wing" :-/
Old 07-02-11, 05:19 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LZMF1
fedex should be delivering my lock assembly sometime today(sat).

i figured for the fun of it i'd give it a dry run and take the broken one out.......hooooo boy! this is gonna be fun. i had the door disassembled but couldn't figure out how to get the assembly out without taking the window out. i really don't feel like paying the dealership @$250 for something that i should be able to do myself. hopefully i'll have it figured out before i get around to doing the install.....it's not exactly something you can just "wing" :-/
If anybody can do this, it's you! Good luck with the fix.
Old 07-03-11, 12:46 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

just got back from LBI, crappy weather down there and home so the mrs. and i said if we're gonna be stuck in the house we're better off in our actual home rather than our shore house plus it'd give me a chance to see if the motor assembly had been delivered.......guess what? no package waiting for me. my guess is i'll see it on tuesday. hopefully by then i'll know exactly how to replace the part.
Old 07-05-11, 10:36 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

OK kids i have another update!

i decided to give it another dry run since the part has not been delivered yet. i took the door panel off, removed the 3 torx screws from the lock assembly, disconnected all the electronics+lock and handle wires from the door, removed the panel, and loosened the 3 10mm screws that hold the track for the window. with the track loose i wiggled the lock assembly out. i disassembled the lock assembly and found that the contacts for the little motor that locks and unlocks the door were crusted up and filthy.

i cleaned them, reassmbled the lock assembly and put the door back together and it works! i guess i have to decline the delivery when it gets here.

Last edited by LZMF1; 07-05-11 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-05-11, 11:12 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LZMF1
OK kids i have another update!

i decided to give it another dry run since the part has not been delivered yet. i took the door panel off, removed the 3 torx screws from the lock assembly, disconnected all the electronics+lock and handle wires from the door, removed the panel, and loosened the 3 10mm screws that hold the track for the window. with the track loose i wiggled the lock assembly out. i disassembled the lock assembly and found that the contacts for the little motor that locks and unlocks the door were crusted up and filthy.

i cleaned them, reassmbled the lock assembly and put the door back together and it works! i guess i have to decline the delivery when it gets here.
LZ,

You ROCK!
Old 07-05-11, 11:36 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by redrocks
LZ,

You ROCK!
i wouldn't exactly say i rock but thanks for the compliment!

i was just annoyed that my dealership was going to charge me @ 5 hundred bucks to do it. granted there's a chance my lock assembly will get screwed up again but at least i know how to address the problem if it does happen again.

i should have taken dozens of pics for and made a DIY for the original poster. it wasn't too difficult after i got the lock assembly out. i think only 3 screws hold the clasp part of the lock assembly in.
Old 07-05-11, 02:28 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

No pictures?
Old 07-05-11, 07:17 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

LOL! nah, no pictures but i realized after i put everything back together that i forgot to put one piece, a cover back onto the lock assembly. i realized it when i saw the cover on my kitchen counter!

i forgot to mention that the lock assembly i ordered from sewellparts.com arrived at my door a few hours after i fixed it myself.
who knows....maybe i will redo it just to pop that cover back onto the lock assembly and take loads of pics during the process.
Old 07-14-11, 05:13 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

another update: my fix was just temporary. it started acting all squirrely on me again. i got annoyed and popped the replacement that i got from sewellparts.com in and all is well again. this time i took pics too. if people need it i'll do a DIY with lots of pics.